The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Penguin Magic Lectures (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1577 Posts

Profile of Ihop
This may not be the best forum to ask but I could not figure out where else to put this.

I am thinking about purchasing the Penguin Magic lectures.
I've attended live lectures but I don't remember everything after time passes.

I would like to give Penguin Magic lectures a try but first I have 2 questions for anyone that may know.

1) Can you save the video of the lecture on your PC for future reference?

2) Do you get lecture notes if you pay for the lecture?

Either one of these would work for me. But if the answer is NO to both, I'll pass on these lectures. I'll just forget months or years later when I get around to trying some lecture effects out.

Thanks,
Ihor
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2250 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Hey,

1) Yes, you can download them for future viewing, or stream them from your Penguin account.

2) You don't get lecture notes, but every now and then some of the magicians include something extra, like templates for an effect they will show, or extra tips, etc etc, but not lecture notes.

alex
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
MovieMan
View Profile
Special user
569 Posts

Profile of MovieMan
There aren't any lecture notes, but yes, you can download the videos to watch anytime you want, or you can stream the videos you've purchased anytime as well if you don't want to wait for the download.

Oops, beaten by Alex!
RSchlutz
View Profile
V.I.P.
482 Posts

Profile of RSchlutz
What I love most is I can stream through my iPhone so I can watch the lectures anywhere.

Ryan
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
For the number of lectures you get, I think it's a pretty good deal. The fact that I can download them and save them to my computer was the clincher for me. Like you, I enjoy lectures when I go to magic conferences but it's a bummer that you can't rewatch the lecture later. I saw Dani DaOrtiz in lecture and year or two ago and loved the stuff he showed but I don't remember much of what he taught! Now I've got his lecture from Penguin saved to my computer.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Going to live lectures is great, but I find you never remember one thing they taught. The Penguin lectures can be re-watched and you can make notes and work on the routines/sleights.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1577 Posts

Profile of Ihop
Quote:
On 2013-02-23 12:22, RSchlutz wrote:
What I love most is I can stream through my iPhone so I can watch the lectures anywhere.

Ryan

I Agree.
However, I have an Itouch & Ipad and I have to be at home or in a Wifi area to watch streaming video.
My best option would be to save it to either of those via ITunes.
Ihor
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6967 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Regarding remembering stuff from live lectures: that's why most lecturers sell lecture notes and DVDs at their lectures! Smile

When I lecture, everything I teach, with the exception of one trick, is available in the lecture notes or on a DVD that I have available at the lecture. Some people also take notes. But that can be difficult.

Regarding the Penguin lectures, they are awesome. I have seen some really good ones. Was also happy with how mine came out.
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2250 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Agreed.

Most of the lectures I have seen have been great.

Camerons lecture was full of useful material.

Thanks

Alex
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
Stucky
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm Batman!
1347 Posts

Profile of Stucky
Have you ever looked at your notes after a lecture and not been able to figure out what you wrote? What's worse is when you buy the magicians notes and can't figure out what THEY wrote.
Official Thread Killer
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
6967 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Ha! That would suck. Fortunately, I'm a decent writer. Smile
TCG438
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of TCG438
Gewd righting end grammah our sew empourtent!
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1577 Posts

Profile of Ihop
I was being cheap at the first lecture I attended and did not buy the lecture notes.
I now regret it. There were some great effects demonstrated and I can't remember the instructions.

I wish I could videotape the lectures. However, I'm sure many of the lecturers would object for obvious reasons.
Ihor
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1042 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
I don't even remember my first magic lecture...

I'm thinking maybe it was Albert Goshman!

As a side note, I've been signed up with Penguin since last summer.
What a great deal these lectures are!
(I just need more time to watch them)
Author of PERFORM...all the stuff to think about

Over 450 pages, hardcover, full color

"I loved this book!" - Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars - highly recommended" - Nick Lewin

"Chock full of ideas that will make me more $$ and my shows more professional!" - Leif David

Foreword written by Joshua Jay

Tim's book and other goodies to help performers here...

[email]tim@performbettershows.com[/email]
Dr. Van Van Mojo
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of Dr. Van Van Mojo
First of all, let me say I like Penguin and have never had a problem with them but this is frustrating.

I just purchased a Penguin Lecture. It's taking forever to download and it won't stream, just keeps trying to load. Can't see myself buying any more downloads from Penguin if the download process is going to take so long.

Also would be nice if Penguin would post a TOC for the lectures, I'd be more inclined to buy some of them if I knew what I was getting.
RSchlutz
View Profile
V.I.P.
482 Posts

Profile of RSchlutz
Dr Van....

I would think your download issue is isolated. Mine and several others I know stream and download with ease.

What issues are you having streaming? What is happening?

Ryan
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I've never had a problem downloading them ( they are 3+ hours and download quickly ). Acar has posted his e-mail elsewhere and has welcomed writing him with any issues: acar@penguinmagic.com
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4205 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
The Penguin Magic Lectures are important. They are awesome and a great gift to magic history.
Dr. Van Van Mojo
View Profile
Special user
570 Posts

Profile of Dr. Van Van Mojo
Won't stream at all, circle just keeps going round and round and round and round and........you get the picture.

As far as downloading, it's been about two hours and showing 8 hours left with my netbook. Tried it on my desktop and it shows six hours to download. Not a huge deal, I'll get what I paid for. It's just frustrating because I was planning on watching it now. Don't know why it would take that long to download and it won't stream for me at all. I don't have a problem downloading from other places even with my netbook so I don't know what the problem is.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I went to a lecture in MyPenguin that I hadn't downloaded yet and was able to do it. I'm not a computer guy, so I can't help with any advice on what to try, because I just click. I'd say contact Acar or customer support.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Penguin Magic Lectures (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL