The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Future of the NAAV? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicalArtist
View Profile
Veteran user
Hobart, Indiana
369 Posts

Profile of MagicalArtist
With the recent passing of Clinton Detweiler, I was wondering what is the future of the North American Association of Ventriloquists?

I must admit I have their logo on my website, even though I haven't paid dues in ages. It seems that, with multiple magic organizations, including the SAM and the IBM, there should be at least one nationally recognized association for ventriloquists. The NAAV has a bit of history to it as well, which gives it more credibility.

Are there any thoughts about reviving this organization? It's nice to put an organization seal on your website, and while you can still do that, it would be better if it had something backing it. I would be willing to pay reasonable annual dues to such an organization.
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
My understanding is that the NAAV hasn't really existed for many years.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Profile of Dickens & Dave
You are right Neale, the NAAV hasn't existed for quite a few years, that was when the "Newsy Vents" newsletters also ended and Clinton started sending out "The Maher Messenger".
Clinton did say, when he disbanded the NAAV, that those who were members at the time could feel free to continue using the NAAV logo, but I think I only continued to use it until I ran out of cards with it already printed on them. After I ran out of those, I left the logo off new ones and deleted the logo from my webpage, doesn't make sense to me to continue using a logo for an organization that doesn't exist any more. I used to belong to the SAV too, which is also long gone, so I don't use that logo any more either.
http://dickensndave.bravehost.com/index.html

"Oh that I had wings like a dove! for then would I fly away, and be at rest."
MagicalArtist
View Profile
Veteran user
Hobart, Indiana
369 Posts

Profile of MagicalArtist
Well, I'm going to continue using the logo on my site in hopes that the organization will someday be revived, since I think membership in professional organizations shows a certain dedication to one's craft.
kidshowvent
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of kidshowvent
I'm good friends with the Detweilers..even spoke at Clinton's funeral/memorial.. and I'm pretty sure they had no plans to revive the NAAV. But I do know how much they both love(d) vents so I don't think it's inappropriate to keep using the NAAV logo. I think they would be glad. Just my opinion after knowing them for 30 years..

Mark

markwade@kidshowvent.com
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Mark - I'm sure they would have no problem with people who used to belong still using the logo, like I said, Clinton said it was okay.

Timothy - I'm not saying you shouldn't keep using it, I know you're not the only one who does. I was just saying for me, personally, it doesn't make sense.
Also, and again, personally, for me, I think I'd be embarrassed if someone asked me what the logo was for and I had to tell them it's for something that doesn't exist anymore. Especially if someone thought to ask, "then why do you have it on there?" What's the answer?, "I was hoping no one would actually ask about it, just be impressed that I must belong to some professional organization."

Aussie
View Profile
Special user
Australia
623 Posts

Profile of Aussie
Perhaps a group of us could revive NAAV ? I suppose we'd have to get approval from the Detweilers, but I'd be willing to help out any way I can. We could call it WWAV (Worldwide Association of Ventriloquists) perhaps.
Australia's Most Original Ventriloquist

http://www.ladymaceentertainment.com
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Or just WAV.
I've thought of what you said before, about reviving, or actually creating something new (with a new name, wouldn't need anyone's approval, although it would need it's own new logo) maybe only in terms just creating it, getting membership cards printed up, dues would be just enough to cover the cost of membership cards and mailing them.
There wouldn't be any newsletter, maybe a webpage where members could send in updates as to what their doing.
At least then, it could be called an "active" organization with a membership.

Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Trying to come up with something for;
V.E.N.T.
(Ventriloquial Entertainers - but then I draw a blank......)

Aussie
View Profile
Special user
Australia
623 Posts

Profile of Aussie
Quote:
On 2013-02-27 17:52, Dickens & Dave wrote:
Or just WAV.
I've thought of what you said before, about reviving, or actually creating something new (with a new name, wouldn't need anyone's approval, although it would need it's own new logo) maybe only in terms just creating it, getting membership cards printed up, dues would be just enough to cover the cost of membership cards and mailing them.
There wouldn't be any newsletter, maybe a webpage where members could send in updates as to what their doing.

Okay, well I am a hand a graphic design and websites so I could help out there.

tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Quote:
On 2013-02-27 17:52, Dickens & Dave wrote:
Or just WAV.
dues would be just enough to cover the cost of membership cards and mailing them.

Dave -
Why print and mail membership cards? Today, most organizations I belong to simply send out pdfs you can print. Dues, if needed to insure not just anyone joins, could be used toward web hosting so the site isn't on a free server with ads. Nothing less professional than a free website that displays ads - especially for a professional organization.

I wish you luck with the project - let me know when you bring it to life and I will be happy to help promote it!

Tom
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

Tom,
I'm so old school and old-fashioned, I think I'd rather do cards, printing out a PDF, most people would only have regular paper instead of card stock to print it out on which would be sturdier. I figured they could probably be ordered through Vistaprint, it's pretty cheap there.
BUT, you did give me an idea to create a membership certificate and make it a PDF to just send people to print.
As for a website, I was thinking a blog page like Clinton had, they're free, don't have ads, and I could post member news and updates, or I could add a page to my website, it's already paid for so there's no ads, and incorporate a blog into it for posting news and updates.
Wish I could think of something else more tangible to offer people for joining, but printing and mailing a newsletter is out of the question. Could possibly create a lapel pin people could wear too.

Aussie - howzabout you use your graphic design abilities to see what you can come up with for logo (just in case I get crazy enough to try doing this)?
And I think WAV for World Association of Ventriloquists is a good name for it.

Aussie
View Profile
Special user
Australia
623 Posts

Profile of Aussie
Quote:
On 2013-02-28 17:28, Dickens & Dave wrote:
Tom,
I'm so old school and old-fashioned, I think I'd rather do cards, printing out a PDF, most people would only have regular paper instead of card stock to print it out on which would be sturdier. I figured they could probably be ordered through Vistaprint, it's pretty cheap there.
BUT, you did give me an idea to create a membership certificate and make it a PDF to just send people to print.
As for a website, I was thinking a blog page like Clinton had, they're free, don't have ads, and I could post member news and updates, or I could add a page to my website, it's already paid for so there's no ads, and incorporate a blog into it for posting news and updates.
Wish I could think of something else more tangible to offer people for joining, but printing and mailing a newsletter is out of the question. Could possibly create a lapel pin people could wear too.

Aussie - howzabout you use your graphic design abilities to see what you can come up with for logo (just in case I get crazy enough to try doing this)?

So you're thinking WAV as in Worldwide Association of Ventriloquists?

Okay let me come up with something Smile I like the idea of actually sending a card rather than a pdf, it's a physical object and has a sense of "ownership" when people pay a fee.

Word Press also is free (they do also have a paid service), but I think if you really want the website to look professional an inexpensive paid service like Wordpress or Squarespace would be best. This can be contributed to from the membership fees.

Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

World or Worldwide.
For some reason, I like just "World" better.

yup, I like a card too, I'm one of those people that would actually carry it in his wallet.

I have the webspace paid for to use, but thinking about it, I think it would be better to have one someplace else, I wouldn't want to give anyone else access to my website, and this should have at least a couple people with access so if one is away the other can do updates, etc.

Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

I got thinking more about this at work today: we got talking about this being a professional organization, and using a paid website as opposed to a free one with ads or a blog page because those wouldn't be professional.

But what was the NAAV?
The NAAV was simply Clinton and Adelia, they sent out a simple membership certificate when you first joined, and a membership card. When you renewed your membership, you just got a new card. And you got to use the logo, and of course there was the Newsy Vents newsletter which they printed up and mailed out. You could always contact Clinton with questions, but you could do that even if you weren't a member of the NAAV.
It wasn't something made out to be big and professional, aside from the newsletter, what did you get out of it - you were a member and you could use the logo.

As I said earlier, a newsletter is out, for most anyone considering this idea, myself included and especially, a newsletter would be too costly in time and money, and what would be the point, it would probably have the same stuff that's on the email list, this forum, and on the 5 or 6 facebook pages there are for ventriloquism, not to mention all the blogs, etc., that others have on their websites.
So for that matter, really wouldn't even need to bother with any kind of a website for news, etc., or just a simple page for it that would come up in a search so people can request a membership.
Really, all that's needed is a logo, membership cards, a pdf certificate, maybe even make it a lifetime membership, charge a couple bucks for membership, to cover the cost of the cards, envelopes and postage.

The more I think about it though, I wonder how interested people would be no matter what was done, something simple, or a big production with a professional website. Back in the heyday of the NAAV, times were simpler, people got into things like that more, and contacts, especially vent contacts were hard to come by, though we have a fairly large number, we're not a dime-a-dozen, and now we have all these ways to be in contact on the net.

Karen Climer
View Profile
Veteran user
Orlando, Florida
324 Posts

Profile of Karen Climer
Forgive me, but I don't understand the point of an organization that only gives a membership card and a logo to it's members. Why would someone join?

I am a member of IBM. The benefits that matter to me are the monthly magazine, a local club, and liability insurance. There are other benefits, but those are the reasons I joined IBM.

A regular magazine/newsletter is something that would draw members. It does not need to be printed in hard copy. It could be online available only to members. There are other benefits that would draw members as well.

If someone wants to revive NAAV, they need to offer something that is valuable to vents (as the Detweilers did). I'm not sure that a membership card is enough to entice people to join unless I am missing something.
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

You're right, I think we should scrap the whole idea. If someone wants to use an organization logo on their materials, I suggest they just keep using the NAAV one.

Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2220 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I found this old card in one of my drawers. Just wanted to share it.

Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Dickens & Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
North Central Florida
1813 Posts

I still have a couple of those here myself, and I also still have this hanging on the wall in my shop;

Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4198 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Somebody please mint a coin in Clinton's honor and let the proceeds go to something wonderful!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Future of the NAAV? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL