The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » A TASTE OF CHAOS - LOKI KROSS [new thread] (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
magicmalk
View Profile
New user
Northern California
73 Posts

Profile of magicmalk
Just watched the full demo LokI sent to me. I have to say that I was pretty stunned with what I just watched. It was beautifully done LokI. Best I have seen yet. I am going to rack my brain all night thinking about this until my purchase arrives. Thanks again. Spectacular.
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
839 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
Guys - this is the MOST DISAPPOINTING TNR EVER!

There! Did I scare away those only mildly curious? I hope so... Smile

I have to agree with Magic Maddy - I've seen a LOT of TnRs (I have a spreadsheet with notes on over 30 of them, in fact! LOL). LokI's routine is stunning, and it looks like it really may just fit the bill of what I've been looking for in a piece-by-piece restoration. That said, I'm interested to see how difficult this is to learn - I took a long time to learn Counterfeit Hollingworth and Torn to the level where I felt performance ready and had my additions to make it work the way I wanted (such as Torn with a business card signed on the FACE, not the back). LokI makes this look so smooth and pristine, but I'm only hoping that it is within my reach, technically.

LokI said in the beginning: "Hopefully that helps. I wanted to create a TNR that hit all the areas others have issues with other TNRs. While still keeping it magical, and not 'Surgical'." I'll be getting this to affirm it, but at first blush it certainly seems to tick all the boxes for me while yet keeping the routine magical. LokI, you've definitely routined this a LOT, put in with a lot of routining, care, confidence, etc. Probably the best piece-by-piece TnR I've seen yet. I'm looking forward to picking this up for sure.
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
An Undying Heart of Chaos; Stabbed with
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Quote:
On 2013-03-17 21:59, sgtgrey wrote:
Did I scare away those only mildly curious? I hope so... Smile

HaHa! You definitely scared me for a second! Smile

As for difficulty, it is definitely an answer left to each individual; but I will do my best to answer in a blanket style. Smile

First off: "Mythos"
Mythos and Legacy share a technique, which I consider a new approach to TNRs.
By doing Mythos, you will get better at the hard part of Legacy. This is intentional.

As Mythos borrows from Legacy, but ends in their hand, it takes out all the extra parts, making it much simpler.
Those parts are added to Legacy to fulfill the requirements so many have voiced they wanted in a TNR.

But I of course made these, so they were never that difficult. I finalized my routining for Legacy 11 months ago. I started in October 2007.
After I was satisfied with the routine, I filmed my first demo 2 weeks later.
I then worked with it for 7 months before I made the full video you saw yesterday.

So let me put it in a perspective...
The easiest move I have ever learned was the Ri**le F***e.
The most difficult Routine I have mastered is Tabary style rope magic, but using regular chains.

So let me put them on a personal scale of 1 and 10.
In that regards Mythos is a 3.
Legacy is a 7-8.

But if I can guarantee you that by the Winter Holidays you will be able to perform the most visual TNR available, (until some new technology arrives); is it not worth the effort? (I know the answer Smile )
It was worth it to me to just think about for 5 years! Smile

I love that you guys think I make it look so smooth, Thank You!

But I make a sincere point on the DVD that I expect to see many doing it better than I can. Truth.
I even included extra types of visual restoration choices, and one is too difficult for me to do well.
I've done it twice convincingly. And it is amazing. But it is just out of my depth.
But I included it. Because I know many people are better at sleight of hand than I am.

(Kind of like making an IQ test when you are not the smartest in the world Smile It works, but one with more skill can take it farther.)

I saw the subtle jabs on the FAX thread that I created what I did so I wouldn't have to have good Sleight-of-Hand.
I took notice.
And I truly hoped that people would see I do have some "chops" Smile

But not THAT much Smile

So long story short, I don't think it is that difficult.
I have 6 years of constant study in sleight of hand.
Most of you have 10-20+.

You will most likely make it look better than I can.
And Mythos... Well Mythos is going to wreck spectators right off the first viewing.
So you will have something remarkably fun to perform, while you work on Legacy.

I hate to get something new, have to wait on this or that, and get no immediate enjoyment.
So I made sure to keep that experience alive.

The response has been more than I could ever expect, you guys are awesome!
I am working on making the full video available.
The response to it has been most encouraging. Smile

Thank you all, and I hope that answers any questions until I get a response to my inquiry about the video.

Your Friend in Magic,
LokI
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Consumers are King.

I humbly present to you all...

The Legacy Full Performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbyThTtbvDk

It is an honor to share this with all of you,
LokI
r99h
View Profile
Loyal user
Southampton, UK
257 Posts

Profile of r99h
It's such a good effect, LokI. A beautiful piece of magic.

I love the way you're putting out two effects, one of which can be more quickly mastered and which helps in the learning of the other!

Hopefully now, with this full performance video, the sceptics will be satisfied Smile

Rich
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Great routine!
Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Beautiful routine Loki - you shared a video of this with me some months ago and the way this T&R looks visually is just off the hook!

All I can say is... wow Smile
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Jeff_Mash
View Profile
Veteran user
Bay Area, California
328 Posts

Profile of Jeff_Mash
I'm happy to say that this is listed as a DOWNLOAD right now at MJM Magic. The DVD is still not released yet, so for those of you who want to get your hands on it, a download may be the way to go.

Hats off to Loki for the great new release:
http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/a-taste-of......863.html

I will try to post an official review of the item shortly.
Your friend in magic,

Jeff Mash, CEO
MJM Magic - "Magic for Magicians, Jokesters, and Mentalists!"
http://www.MJMMagic.com
Merlin
View Profile
Veteran user
Palmerton, Pa
362 Posts

Profile of Merlin
Is this a true download, or is just a streaming video?

I have not found a way to download it to my computer. On the player there is a link to download the video, but when clicked, all it does is close the video that is playing.

Thanks
Phil
Jeff_Mash
View Profile
Veteran user
Bay Area, California
328 Posts

Profile of Jeff_Mash
Quote:
On 2013-03-18 19:39, Merlin wrote:
Is this a true download, or is just a streaming video?

I have not found a way to download it to my computer. On the player there is a link to download the video, but when clicked, all it does is close the video that is playing.

Thanks
Phil

It's both. You can stream it (without downloading it) and it will play in your browser. Or if you prefer to save the files to your computer, there is the option below the video player to Download it, and then you can watch it offline.

In your case Phil, the video is actually finishing the watermark process. You should have access to download it very shortly (it's 70% done as we speak).
Your friend in magic,

Jeff Mash, CEO
dlemberg
View Profile
New user
Vancouver, WA
31 Posts

Profile of dlemberg
You can also get the download st Dave's Killer Magic Shop. Download it here:

http://www.killermagicshop.com/A-Taste-o......191.html

You can stream it and download a watermark copy which takes time to watermark with your name.

Dave
Jeff_Mash
View Profile
Veteran user
Bay Area, California
328 Posts

Profile of Jeff_Mash
In case anyone is interested, I just did a pretty in-depth and honest review on this DVD:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=111&0
Your friend in magic,

Jeff Mash, CEO
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Really super review by Jeff!!!
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
r99h
View Profile
Loyal user
Southampton, UK
257 Posts

Profile of r99h
Legacy - visual; Mythos - inspirational! Sounds really good!!

I'm really encouraged that the cons Jeff describes about Legacy are just personal opinions on the instruction, camera work, etc. - nothing negative about the effect itself Smile

And the only 'con' he mentions about Mythos is that it, in his opinion, it is better performed seated (although he says that isn't a requirement) Smile

Thank you Jeff for giving us your thoughts and opinions.

I'll definitely be getting this on DVD come 25th!

(BTW, great names for the effects, LokI Smile)

Rich
Jeff_Mash
View Profile
Veteran user
Bay Area, California
328 Posts

Profile of Jeff_Mash
Quote:
Legacy - visual; Mythos - inspirational! Sounds really good!!

I'm really encouraged that the cons Jeff describes about Legacy are just personal opinions on the instruction, camera work, etc. - nothing negative about the effect itself Smile

Hi Rich - I'm glad you liked my review of this effect! If you want a TNR where you start clean, and you end clean, with no pre-setup work, then this is the one for you. However, because of those positive points, it means the effect will be a little harder to pull off than other "gimmicked" TNR effects on the market. Even Loki mentions that it took him months of practice before he got this down really, really good. And believe me, if you can do this with your eyes closed, it's going to fry people. Just keep in mind that you're going to watch the DVD over and over and over again, trying to pick up everything Loki is saying, and then practicing it just as many times until it becomes second nature.

There's a few times when Loki is explaining Legacy and he will say, "First you do THIS, and then you do THIS OTHER THING with your fingers....." but the camera is so far away from the hands, I can't see what he's talking about. However, in most (or dare I say ALL) of those situations, he ends up cutting to a different angle after the fact, and going over it again. I just wish I didn't have those moments of fleeting fear that I was going to miss something and never know how to do it. Smile

Quote:
And the only 'con' he mentions about Mythos is that it, in his opinion, it is better performed seated (although he says that isn't a requirement) Smile

If you like STORIES, Mythos is for you. It's not a crazy, visual eye-candy effect like Legacy. With Legacy, I can imagine people yelling, "NO WAY!!!" or "WHOAAA, did you SEE THAT?" to all their buddies when you perform it, and then hand the card back to them.

However, with Mythos, it's a much more personal experience. They will still be left scratching their heads, but if you hype up the story correctly, they will walk away thinking about Mythos and probably remember it a lot longer. Mythos feels less like a magic trick, and more like something amazing just happened here.

Because of that, I think it's better suited for a sit down performance. All the performances of Mythos on the DVD/Download have been sit down. Since it's a more personal, storyteller experience, I think the sit-down setting is suited better for that. You also use the CARD BOX for this one (it's actually incoporated into the story so you wouldn't just put it into your pocket like normal walkaround settings), so there is much more "in play" with Mythos. However, there isn't any real reason that you couldn't stand up and have a spectator hold the box instead of setting it on a table.

Quote:
Thank you Jeff for giving us your thoughts and opinions.

I'll definitely be getting this on DVD come 25th!
Rich

Glad I could help, Rich!
Your friend in magic,

Jeff Mash, CEO
Dannicus
View Profile
Special user
San Diego Ca.
618 Posts

Profile of Dannicus
Looking good LokI brother. Congrats!
Owner of Handcrafted Miracles, San Diego
www.handcraftedmiracles.com

See our items and like us on Facebook at
www.facebook.com/handcraftedmiracles
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
839 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
I've just finished watching all the way through - Jeff gave a very honest review, imo.

Legacy - If you're looking for an easy piece-by-piece tnr - "this is not the tnr you are looking for. Move along..." However, this really is a great method for the tnr and one of the most visual and beautiful TnRs I’ve seen. Let me say that in my experience of TnRs, there wasn't much that was drastically new to me here, but each part has been improved incrementally in the right direction and is a wonderful mix of methods all in one tnr. In addition, the whole routine is extremely well thought out and it is clear LokI has spent considerable time working this effect.

The biggest downside for me (aside from what looks like a serious time investment) is that I currently like to use my signed business card for the visual piece-by-piece tnr, and Legacy's method will not work as well for me in that situation. However, if I do use playing cards for a piece-by-piece TnR, I should be honest with myself in saying that LokI’s method is probably superior in effect, albeit more difficult to learn, and I should give myself the time to learn it.

In regards to an impromptu claim: Mythos is as impromptu as it gets, and amazing. As for Legacy, there’s no pre-fold, gimmick or anything of that nature, which makes this very easy to get into, but it isn’t as impromptu as Mythos if you want to take Legacy to its fullest potential.

Some other notes I had about Legacy:
-Impromptu? (See above)
-Card fully restored? Yes
-Piece by piece? Yes
-Cover card? No
-Card is signed? Yes
-Free signature placement on the card? Possibly, but not ideal
-Signature showing? Yes
-Front and back shown at each phase? You can, but you don’t have to. IMO, showing it at every phase is over-proving, but LokI goes over this as well in a detailed manner.
-Switching? All I’ll say is that you end very much like similar TnR effects, but LokI has a very ingenious solution for the last piece and end of the routine. Even if you do another TnR, you may learn some clever ideas here.
-Visual? The most visual I’ve seen – and the impressive part here is that unlike Torn or others, the visual nature of the magical restorations doesn’t diminish at each stage.
-Difficultly? As a comparison, Hollingworth’s TnR is a 10 for difficulty, Torn is probably a 6, and Legacy is nicely in between at an 8.

Here’s the thing, though. If you’ve read this far, bravo – Mythos is, the real gem here. Mythos is a really strong TnR in the spectators hands that is 100% impromptu – borrowed, sealed deck if you want (you could even have it shuffled) – all you need is a deck of cards in a box and a sharpie to write on the cards. This is not an effect – this is a full-blown performance piece that connects in a very real, emotional way with your spectator. This is NOT about performing a trick – this is truly about building a memorable moment in the MIND of a spectator, and LokI, I can’t believe you let this go so easily! This is a case where “visual” really takes a backseat to a more powerful, effective piece of magic that happens in the spectator’s hands. You show them four separate pieces that they KNOW are their card. You put those pieces in their hand, and they can almost FEEL it restore. I want to share more, but I just don’t have the heart to – just check it out for yourself! (/endexcitedrant)

Mythos isn’t something you’ll learn immediately, but it is my favorite part of the project, definitely within everyone’s reach at about a 4 on the difficultly scale, and definitely worth your time to learn. The really neat thing is – if you can get Mythos down to a performable level, you’ve done the harder part of Legacy already, making it that much more accessible to learn.

Overall, I have been disappointed by many piece-by-piece TnRs in the past that promise breaking new ground, yet fall short of my needs or expectations. Legacy does not fall short – it was indeed what I thought it would and could be, and I’m excited to see a routine like this put together. However, imo, the real gem here is Mythos.
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Thank you for the reviews guys!

You are awesome!

I truly appreciate all of your interest/support in my new project.

Thank You,
LokI
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2051 Posts

Profile of Daren
I have ordered the dvd version, just one question, can legacy be performed up close as noticed in the demo the effect seemed a long way from the camera so could not really see the restorations
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
2051 Posts

Profile of Daren
Any idea as to when the dvd version will be shipped to murphys?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » A TASTE OF CHAOS - LOKI KROSS [new thread] (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL