The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » A TASTE OF CHAOS - LOKI KROSS [new thread] (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
An Undying Heart of Chaos; Stabbed with
720 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Hi Daren!

Yes, Legacy can be performed close-up, in a group setting, at a nightclub stage, et cetera. (So 2 feet to 15?)

And I have "successfully" performed it surrounded. I quoted successfully because no one behind me said anything Smile (I do not suggest it. Lol. But I saw it mentioned in the review).
I think it fell more under "dual reality". They could see what was going on, as opposed to those I was performing for, but it probably seemed like a really intense puzzle working itself out.
(I only say this because there is a point in each phase where, technically, you could be surrounded. It is when you show everything. But from behind; that moment is just that, a moment. So I think the people behind me always see it as another effect. But this only happened when I tested it on the Strip.)

The full performance was filmed at Le Chateau Magique, on the private stage.
The cameraman was 5-6 feet away.

As for the restorations. Are you watching the Yellow demo, on an iPhone? (This has happened).
If you watch the full performance, it should be very easy to see the restorations. (As I humbly believe that is the part people seem to really like. And the structure).

Thank you for your order!
They have them at Murphy's, they plan to ship the physical copies Monday.

I hope that answered your questions, and thanks again.
LokI
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1841 Posts

Profile of Daren
Yes that's great, looking forward to this thanks for sharing? what is the exact effect of mythos, it appears from what I have seen from the demo is there a transposition happening also aswell as a restoration?
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
720 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Mythos is special Smile
I do not want to give too much away.

But I doubt highly that you will be disappointed.

And to answer Sgt's question as to why I would release it... Why not? Smile

Seriously, I knew Legacy was just as demanding as any TNR out there. So I wanted to not only give a "bonus", but something that is truly special to my shows.
Something that can be learned pretty quickly, and put to good use. Therefore adding value to the purchase throughout its lifespan in your repertoire.

Another reason why I believe it is a good addition, is because it gives you training wheels for Legacy, and as such, I am keeping the whole routine a secret. It is worth it.

As far as having to view it many times. That is not a bad thing.
I had to watch the "Hallucination" explanation on David Stone's Real Secrets DVD on "A-B Repeat" for 2 days before I could even mimic it.
And it was totally worth it. Smile

LokI
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
720 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Quote:
On 2013-03-20 16:18, lokikross wrote:
As far as having to view it many times. That is not a bad thing.

I am of course, referring to the Legacy teaching, as Mythos is incredibly simple.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-03-20 16:18, lokikross wrote:
Mythos is special Smile
I do not want to give too much away.

THANK YOU for that.

We have two camps of Magicians, so I "think" that's why LokI put two very different tricks on the DVD. Some are interested in the illusion of a beautiful T&R. Others are attempting to connect with an audience on a deeper/emotional level.

I wasn't that interested in the T&R, but got the DVD because after FAX, I just wanted to see what he was bringing to the creative party. Legacy lives up to the hype. But it's Mythos that gobsmacked me ( and from what I can tell, Mr. McBride also ).

Some will use equivoque in a routine as a prediction ( cool stuff ). Some will use it as mentalism theater to bring out an emotion.

Horses for courses. My horse happens to be named Mythos.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
II've been chatting with a couple guys that have download and apparently it doesn't have chapters. I PM'd LokI to ask why people were saying the download doesn't have chapters and he told me it's because Murphy's ripped it straight from the disc. It seems LokI didn't expect it to be a download.

I'm lost on the technical stuff and love downloads, but I'd go with the DVD because it's separated by chapters on the menu. I'm an old "album" guy and miss the great artwork from those days. For those that are into that sort of thing, Chaos has a really nice looking box and DVD for we collectors.

More benefits of the DVD over the download:

If you want to just learn Mythos, you watch "Mythos Tutorial". If you want to watch LokI talk about his effect, there is a button for that. The same if you just want to watch McBride give his discussion ( one of my personal favorite parts ).

On the disc the titles are on the menu. I know myself, when I click on "Mythos private performance" I don't want to see the title again. I know what I clicked. lol.

It's a great DVD with Mythos being my favorite because I like mentalism themed magic. But for straight T&R fans, you've got Legacy ( the best T&R I've ever seen ).

Zombie
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Shops have the physical product now:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S15228
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
720 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Thanks for keeping this thread going Zombie! lol.

The DVD is available everywhere Smile

And I did take a lot of effort putting my own "style" into this one.
I knew it was a big undertaking, but I had to.

If I had taken this particular release to a production house, then the cost to you guys would have been 50$.

And while I understand that some want to keep things "exclusive", by making them high-priced ,(I got this a lot on FAX).
I am a creator and performer who wants to make my ideas accessible.

(Trust me, the expensive ones will come soon enough Smile )

I haven't heard much feedback on here, (which is probably a good thing, lol).

But I would like to hear thoughts.
Any questions?
Anyone stuck on anything?

I have helped a couple of magi over Skype, whom have had difficulties with Legacy.
It was easily covered.

As has been mentioned, I do go over things in this a lot. Smile
I wanted to make sure everyone can follow it. (And I feel confident that I did.)

Let me know if you guys need anything,
LokI
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
720 Posts

Profile of lokikross
I like the "Mythos Horse" BTW Smile
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
720 Posts

Profile of lokikross
I also wanted to note that in different reviews, people say Legacy is impromptu, some don't.

This is info that is covered in the "pro-tips" sections. It is also why Chris and I added those.
Un-edited, un-filtered thoughts from pros who work these effects.

I thought: "It is better to have, and not want; then to want, and not have."

As I sometimes watch products, and think, "I wish they had covered this part more, or added some of the esoterics."

But I just watched "Booked" by Steve Valentine.
He goes over the same thing 10 different ways. I had come up with the "HC handling" before he even got to it.
When he did, an hour later, I was thrilled he added it.

And although I was very tired at the end of the DVD. I appreciated all the effort he gave.
I felt that I did not need to "add" anything to his work. He covered it so extensively.

What are your thoughts on 30 minutes to an hour of extra ideas? I think it is nice. I may not watch them always. But I like the option.

LokI Asks
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8039 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Bravo to Loki for making this available as a download.
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
720 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Quote:
On 2013-03-26 16:17, pegasus wrote:
Bravo to Loki for making this available as a download.

Hey Thanks pegasus. Smile

It was a decision I have wrangled with since.
I am glad you approve!

LokI
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
836 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
I'll take a stab at answering the question about the chat sessions, LokI. You know my thoughts already on the impromptu nature of the effects, anyway... Smile

Personally, I like it when this information is included, but kept separate, from the effect. I want to be able to dissect the teaching of the mechanics of an effect until I get them down. However, I want to also be able to understand the history, inspiration, finer points, tips, etc. that come from such a discussion. I feel that without such discussion it can be hard to learn an effect well because you are missing crucial experiences and information from the path dependent process that the creator took to get to the point of the effect release. By having these discussions, you can hopefully cover that ground quickly and "bring people up to speed" on the effect. I do think, however, it is nice that you kept it separate and after the effect explanation as it gives you time to digest the mechanics, etc. before learning about the "why it works" and the history, etc. Hopefully this makes sense...
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
720 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Thanks sgtgrey!

Your comments are always lucid, and well appreciated Smile

LokI
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
One of THE best reviewers in magic, Wayne Kawamoto, put up his review of A Taste Of Chaos:

http://magic.about.com/od/reviewscards/f......ross.htm

"Taste of Chaos" was a refreshing surprise that has restored my interest in the genre. There are indeed some great ideas at play and it's brilliantly executed"
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3331 Posts

Profile of takeachance
I bought FAX and thought it a brilliant advancement on a signed card effect, needing no gimmicks. I wondered if LokI could keep up the standard of creativity, so invested in the download. Well for me this guy has set another milestone. No gimmicks just very clever handling. What is taunted as the second easier handling, Mythos, is just fantastic with both technique and story-line, I'll be putting in the time to have this available to perform at the standard shown. With the skill taught on the FAX DVD and this new Taste of Chaos some absolutely incredible no gimmick magic is at your finger tips, and all very very achievable even for bumbling average Joe's like me.
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
720 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Thanks for sharing the review Zombie!

And I'm glad you took a chance on me takeachance!

As those of you have probably noticed, like takeachance has; all of my current releases work off of each other in some way.

This is because I make sure to put effects together, in my acts, that logically flow from one to another. And if I can utilize one effects method to improve upon the next effect, I will! Smile

I will be hosting a creator's spotlight here in a couple of weeks.
It will be there where I explain how my 3 current releases, (SIGIL still has a couple weeks to go), worked together to be a 10-15 minute act I use to get gigs booked.
And you only have to have a deck of cards, sharpie, and your business card. (SIGIL is the ice-breaker).

You leave them with impossible memories and 2 solid souvenirs that will have them wanting to book you.

(I will get into this more in the spotlight. I have been waiting a few months to have everything out there so I could show how they inter-connect. Some of you will obviously see those connections yourself Smile )

So I am thrilled that you noticed how this collection is all about the interaction, and impossible moments with little prep, takeachance! Smile

You never know when you put these big projects together, how people will respond.

I am humbled Smile

LokI
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
It's also a FANTASTIC experience ordering direct from LokI. You get a great price and he ships THE SAME DAY!
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
720 Posts

Profile of lokikross
I believe the service is just as important as the product.
If you give terrible service, no one will care when you drop the next "grail".

If you give great service, (or try to), then people are more willing to invest time/money into your work when you decide to do something "un-heard of", "Different", or "new".

And if you consistently deliver on THAT, as well, the world is your Chop-cup. Smile

Thank you for the kind words!

LokI
r99h
View Profile
Loyal user
Southampton, UK
257 Posts

Profile of r99h
I'm sure we all frequently experience the curse of the magician - we are disappointed when we see a "miracle disproved" (to quote Jonathan Creek). I regularly feel that way when seeing the secret of an effect; often compounded by the fact that, while the effect looked very convincing on a video demo, it wasn't suitable for real-life close up work (with issues such as complicated gadgets, impossibly akward holdouts, angle issuses, etc).

Therefore I have been conditioned to expect the worst when seeing how an effect works for the first time. Even though I am a big fan of LokI's Fax (and didn't suffer such disappointment), I was still apprehensive when putting the A Taste of Chaos DVD into my computer. Watching the demo and having seen LokI perform the effects live for me over Skype, Legacy looked the epitome of the TnR and Mythos seemed such a great combination of effects which included a seemingly impossible TnR. I am so happy to say that my fears were totally unfounded! The methods used are very clever and, rather than any diappointment, I was watching the DVD itching to get practising!

Legacy IS the epitome of the TnR, and Mythos IS a great combination of effects with a wonderful thread which will draw the spectator in and keep them captivated until the magic happens in their own hands Smile Both are very clever effects, with Mythos including training for Legacy as well as being a very good routine in its own right.

Having read what LokI had to say regarding the DVD vs download, I am extremely pleased that I waited for the DVD. It is very professionally produced, contains excellent training and tips, and has a good menu. With the exception of the performance of Legacy (which is only a couple of minutes long), each of the sections on the menus is further segmented, making it very easy to navigate to, or repeat, a certain section of the DVD. I really like the way the effects are organised on it, with Legacy first and Mythos second (which is very good from a training point of view). The performances are followed by the explanations, with tips and conversations left until after the effects have been explained.

It is true what other people have said - Legacy will require a lot of practice, but the hours required will leave you with a miracle once you have it perfected and, while Mythos isn't as difficult to perform, it is a lovely piece of magic which I'm sure spectators will remember for a long time.

I could go on and on extolling the virtues of A Taste of Chaos. Suffice it to say that it is equal in quality to Fax (both in terms of effect and production), is something I am committed to perfecting and, once perfected, regularly performing. LokI has done it again! Smile

Rich
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » A TASTE OF CHAOS - LOKI KROSS [new thread] (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL