The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Original Joke or Comical stuff Request (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DrRob
View Profile
Special user
Middle Chinnock
952 Posts

Profile of DrRob
Posted: Feb 28, 2013 3:15pm
Hi All,

Here in the UK every year we have a charity event called " Comic Relief " to raise monies for Africa and vulnerable people here in the UK
This year they are doing a section called " Stand Up If You Dare " where new stand up comedians get between 2 and 5 minutes to show the audience what you've got.

I am after a few more original jokes or comic ideas to add to my skit hence me posting here, they have to be family friendly.

I look forward to seeing what you fellow funny guys and girls have to offer.

Also of you would like to donate to my charity page here is the link....

http://my.rednoseday.com/sponsor/robdodge

Warmest of regards
Dr Rob
T. Durden
View Profile
Loyal user
USA
294 Posts

Profile of T. Durden
I can write an act for ya. What's the writing gig pay?
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
"If you don't like me, do want you do when your making love, close your eyes and pretend I'm someone else."

A variation (rewritten) of an old joke. If its not too late for you, I'd suggest the book, "Step by Step to Stand-up Comedy" by Greg Dean. He will tell you how to write your own material plus a lot of first hand knowledge of what it takes to do stand up. I did it for the worlds toughest audiences, strip clubs, this was way before comedy clubs even existed.
Tough life, but it will help you learn delivery, even if your not a comic. Watch Henny Youngman, the worlds greatest teacher on how to deliver a punch line we've all heard a hundred times, but will still laugh at the way he says it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri3aL8At44I
T. Durden
View Profile
Loyal user
USA
294 Posts

Profile of T. Durden
Spartacus - at least at strip club gigs, the audience is in a "watch a show" state of mind. It's those clubs that don't even promote the show and still want to leave the jukebox and pool tables running that realllllly suck.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Durden, I know what gig you are talking about. Some charity gig whereby some eejit is putting his feeble profits to charity so they can organize a night without worrying that it will be unsuccessful because they don't have to pay anyone so they put no effort in and it's a big waste of time. Been there.

Think this is a bit different. It's an open mike night where the profits go to charity. No-one gets paid at an open mike night anyhow so forget about money. It could be good it could be terrible. But I think they'll turn the juke off.

Therefore, do what you want to do. If you want to try stand up, try stand up. Write something and if it dies, it dies. No point us writing your jokes, you wont learn anything
DrRob
View Profile
Special user
Middle Chinnock
952 Posts

Profile of DrRob
Thanks for your help I bought a book for my Kindle, it's called Be a Great Stand Up - Teach Yourself by Logan Murray.
It's a great book on the subject.

Regards
Dr Rob
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
That's not a bad book. You could also try this one:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Serious-Guide-......07498370

It's my favourite book on joke writing. rather than tell you how to be funny it gives you exercises on how to generate your own material.

Having said that I think the best way to start out is just write whatever you find funny and go try it out. You don't have to be brilliant the first time you try it but you do want to learn something from it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Original Joke or Comical stuff Request (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL