The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » A Need To Escape From Lack Of Publicity (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I'm new to this area of the Café, but not totally new to escapes. That is I've done some very minor stuff, but nothing like you guys have done.

But I need and want to learn. And I figure this is the place to start. 

First let me be open about my motivation. It's simply publicity. I'll be honest. I'm looking for ways to get my name in the paper ALOT. Plus, I always have had a desire to experience the excitement of giving 'em a big thrill watching me put my neck on the line. Seriously, if their is glory that comes from a well executed escape, I figure the guy earned it. There certainly is no glory in card tricks! 

Ahhhhh! But an escape? That's front page fodder, is it not?

I'm willing to put in the hard work to master the escapes, but I need to know where to start.

Years ago, my friend Rick Moore made a good name for himself in this area by doing some pretty gutsy escapes..I think he started with a rope tie where he was allowed to be wrapped in 100 feet of rope. The write -ups in the newspaper gave him a real local platform to describe his dramatic "struggle" to free himself from the ropes. Now I'm not privy to that escape, and I have no idea how much of it was hype, and whether the escape was as harrowing as he made it out to be..But that is a moot point, because he GOT the desired publicity.

Then he worked up to strat jacket escapes, the milk can escape, and finally the suspended by his feet from  a crane, hanging upside down, several hundred feet above the ground..

So Rick has done it all, and garnered the publicity to travel around the world with his show. Not bad for a guy who began as an e.m.t. for the local hospital.

So I'm no dummy. If you look at my avatar, the dummy is on the left. I have enough sense to know one has to start small and work their way up the ladder of danger and risk.

But where do I start? Where can I learn what Rick knew?

I don't think there is a place on the Café to discuss the publicity side of magic! But I'm dog determined to learn.  I mean, if I wanted to learn the blindfold car drive, where can I go? 

Can you guys steer me in the right direction? Should I start with the rope tie? Or the strate jacket escape? 

If a guy is 57 years old, can his body have the endurance and stamina to do a jacket escape? 

Please clue me in fellows! 
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Read Bill Shirk's book
Read Arthur Coghlan's book
Study Houdini
Get 33 rope ties

That should get you started

If you can get out of a tight sweater. you can get out of a real jacket. I have a DVD that covers that topic.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4467 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
You should buy the Dixie Dooley DVDs ..... I have a second set you can have at a reasonable price! He talks about publicity on thoes.

But having tried to sell the Dooley DVDs to I will Ollie with tis .... Jays video is rest! The books he mentioned are great too! Well worth getting!
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Dave funny,

When I stated that Dixie Dooley DVDS were decent for info, I think you and a few others got on my case stating they were awful and I was full of bs...

Strange - strange - strange--- double standards?
:)

But, yes daffydoug - they are a good start.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
This has been very helpful, so far!
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4467 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
I'm MORE THAN HAPPY to pass on my Dooley DVDs.

There is a clue there though.

And 20% of what I get for them will be going to IM for being scr€wed over.

That being said you can learn a LOT from the Dooley DVDs. Like a lot can be learnt about crumple zones in cars by driving at a brick wall. You can learn from almost anything! You just need to think....... About what you are seeing, digest it and then apply what you have learned ..... Practise ..... Think, learn practise .... Repeat.

So yep go a head by the Dooley DVDs off me. Smile
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4467 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
How was Iceland cutis? Have any horse lasagne ?
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Iceland was awesome as always. It was my third trip there in a year. Smile Going back in Dec for 3 weeks. Thanks for asking.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I Googled those Dixie Dooley videos and they are very appealing to me. I'm amazed at the incredible range of escapes he covers. 

Even if I don't use all the escapes, I think the DVDs would broaden my knowledge of magic, which is one of my goals. How is the quality of his teaching?

And another question: The things that he teaches shackles, ropes, handcuffs, strate jackets, ... how difficult are these various items to obtain?
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4467 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
I've thought about Iceland my sister went an a cruise and spent some time round there. Said it was really nice.

So where are you appearing there? or was this a vacation? When you going back? There was nothing on your face book page ... All private gigs?

You missed the opportunity to see Ken perform, he was in your area for a while. He tried to set up some challengers but there were no takers on the west coast. He did quite a lot of challenge based stuff on the east coast though.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
I didn't see any media on Ken's stuff... Any links?
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Doug, you need to know how to properly compose and write a "press release". There is a universal standard format you MUST follow. Once the press release is complete, you need to compile a list of local media outlets. Always go with the "big four", CBS, ABC, NBC, and FOX. Find out the each networks news desks, usually on their websites there is a link to submit press releases, or look for anything that says "events". Sometimes it's easy to just e-mail with the attachment, other times you may find certain stations prefer faxed releases. Now move on to radio stations. Forget your "demographic", don't stick to the funny morning show guys..... submit your release to ALL stations (even AM). For example: Clear Channell owns 4 different stations in Philly. I find the accounts executive, contact him, then the press release gets to ALL stations owned by them. Next, send your release to ALL forms of newspapers. The BEST bet is the local artsy types, like City Paper, the Metro, things like that. Similar to the radio networks, you will find that some papers are conglomerate owned. One release sent to the syndicate gets you net coverage on at least 4 or 5 area papers. Send more releases to any magazines the area may provide. This is HOW IT'S DONE. I was taught this method by the Philadelphia Fringe Festival in the late nineties. They even set me up with a contact list 6 pages long! Back then it was all fax. It's helpful to put together your OWN contact press list. Actual phone calls work to your advantage, makes you appear more personable. Update your list often, these job positions have high turnover rate. An editor or writer you may have a working relationship with may move on to bigger and better things. Find out who replaced him/her, update it.

This is a time proven method for publicity. SOMEONE has to do it, if you don't then get someone who will. Either way, you simply cannot "wait for them to come to you".... it will never happen. You need to make your own publicity. I did a GWR attempt in 2007 for the Kidd Chris show. I sent out my release 2 weeks prior. The day of the event there were 8 camera crews, 5 newspaper reporters and Kidd Chris looked at all of it and proclaimed "Nippulini, you are a PR machine!".

Any questions or further advice? Shoot me a PM.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Excellent advice Nipps, The voice of experience rings loud and strong.

Here is a link to a write up done by Dr. Wilson some yeras ago for the WEAR event. He talks about getting publicity and writing press releases etc.

http://www.ibmring362.org/reports/TT002.html
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Daffydoug,

I have had lots of success with PR. Lets schedule a time to chat and I will give you some pointers that have helped me land national and international spots.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Man, you guys are WAY beyond helpful!!! I am astonished at the wonderful advice I am receiving here!

I'm going to make it a point to chat with all you guys!

I did a gg a couple weeks ago. Small gig with close up magic. There was a reporter there and I was pretty excited when my picture and write-up made the front page, but from what I glean from ya'lls posts, that is mere child's play!

The proverbial horse has not even left the starting gate! Or I haven't even gotten to first base yet, OR I haven't even gotten out of first gear! (Whew!)

I get the very strong feeling that I ain't seen nothng, yet!
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4467 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
And escapes can (and do in my experience ...... And Roslyn Walker) present well on radio ..... Just like mentalist. There are some interesting bits on the radio magic cd set by Richard Shaw (? Or is it Steve ..... I know it's Banacheck before he was Banacheck (? Sp). Not relating to escapes but well worth a listen.

You may want to look at going to Harley's school too. I know I would if I had the time and money.
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Ahhhhh, money! Now there's the problem. I've been out of work for months, and just started a new job a couple days ago, so will finally be getting a paycheck in for the first time in a long time.

Anyway, I'm interested in the Dixie Dooley DVDs IF they will actually teach me how to do the escapes listed on the jacket. I have to have something that will teach a total neophyte to do these things from square one.

To shift gears, I have to say that I'm chomping at the bits to learn publicity secrets and press releases. There is a magician in this area, his name is Dick something. Anyway, heres what would frustrate the hell out of me; EVEFY TIME there is a county fair or some other event, that guy somehow always ended up on stage. He would always beat me to the punch, and I could never figure out how he did it, because his magic is not the greatest in the world.

I remember one event where he was on stage and did a rope trick that was mediocre at best. And I stood in the audience and thought: "How in the world did he get booked when I am twice as good?"

It made me mad, and now I am thinking maybe his only secrret was publicity.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Perhaps he's been around longer. Many times, fair boards will do business with the people with whom they have relationships, rather than unknowns. The important skill is not always the one you display on stage.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Boy, that's for sure!
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1488 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Quote:
On 2013-03-02 12:52, magicofCurtis wrote:
Daffydoug,
I have had lots of success with PR. Lets schedule a time to chat and I will give you some pointers that have helped me land national and international spots.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=44
Quote:
On 2013-01-24 20:11, magicofCurtis wrote:
Better to go to restaurants, schools, preschools, YMCA's, rec centers and speak with the coordinators about your services.

Daffydoug, you are looking to do big things not preschools etc???
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » A Need To Escape From Lack Of Publicity (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL