The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » A Need To Escape From Lack Of Publicity (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Do we include pizza restraints in that? Smile

YMCAs ....... Is there a link there? Do they do lots of events? I guess there has to be a place that a young man can go! Smile Y M C A (I hope your all doing the actions)
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I'd like to see a pizza restraint.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Quote:
On 2013-03-02 12:52, magicofCurtis wrote:
I have had lots of success with PR. Lets schedule a time to chat and I will give you some pointers that have helped me land national and international spots.

No press release in the world will give you international exposure. I don't care HOW well it is written. Press releases are designed specifically for local publicity, which in turn lends itself to larger markets. This brings up a valid point: what need do you have for a such a large audience? National and international publicity ONLY comes from smaller markets, which comes from local celebrity. I don't think Doug (nor YOU) have anything the international public WANTS let alone hasn't seen before. It's a catch 22, the market is saturated enough and you have nothing new to bring to the table. Curtis, I have turned off my APP to speak with you. Simple question here, I'm sure you will respond with a 4 page explanation of yourself without even ANSWERING the question, but here it goes..... real simple.... ready? Here it is... please give me a ONE WORD answer.... exactly HOW many press releases have you written and sent out? Because I have been at this for decades, "pointers" and "tips" aren't the same thing, the technique decribed above by me has been taught to me YEARS ago, it is THE format to get attention. I have composed and sent out hundreds.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Nipps I still use my app. But in order to help point Curtis in the right direction here ..... The ONE WORD will be a numeric word.

I'm going to run a book on this. PM or email me with
1) your bet as to the number
2) the length the response would be.
£2 for each entry, winner takes 75% of the takings! Smile

Harley, glad your liking my new thinking for a new type of restraint. (Just in case no one is buying that lie ..... The iPad seems to like correcting my spelling and not telling me. I actually meant restaurants but never mind)!
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
A pizza restraint would get more press than ropes, any day. AND it'd be more interesting (or at least, more interesting than most rope escapes I've seen).
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Quote:
On 2013-03-02 23:45, Ian McColl wrote:
Quote:
Daffydoug,
I have had lots of success with PR. Lets schedule a time to chat and I will give you some pointers that have helped me land national and international spots.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=44
Quote:
On 2013-01-24 20:11, magicofCurtis wrote:
Better to go to restaurants, schools, preschools, YMCA's, rec centers and speak with the coordinators about your services.

Daffydoug, you are looking to do big things not preschools etc???

Ian took this quote out of context. The subject was a a person wanting to go to door to door. I gave him advise that met with his needs.
I have been making a living at entertainment all my life, started out with small gigs and worked up to the bigger gigs such as being an opening act for Tony Curtis and Larry King for award programs. So, I know lots about the variety of markets and often help others to reach their goal and I don't even charge for my advise. lol

Since Ian is questioning my background. Here are a few things...
I have been featured on Kcal 9 news CBS NEWS, News Asia, and Casey Kasem top 20
Also, in the month of Oct, I was a featured cover story for a mag in LA, a write up in Washington Times and a front page story (above the fold) for downtown Los Angeles News even out did the Target story, plus, I had 2 feature spots on the number one morning LA show - Good Morning LA and not counting the blogs that covered me... That was just last OCT.
You can find a link to these reports from my site here is the direct link http://www.curtislovell.com/news&media.html

All due respect Ian, since you question my resume for the media, what is your background in PR?
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 2013-03-03 09:13, thegreatnippulini wrote:
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No press release in the world will give you international exposure. I don't care HOW well it is written. Press releases are designed specifically for local publicity, which in turn lends itself to larger markets. This brings up a valid point: what need do you have for a such a large audience? National and international publicity ONLY comes from smaller markets, which comes from local celebrity. I don't think Doug (nor YOU) have anything the international public WANTS let alone hasn't seen before. It's a catch 22, the market is saturated enough and you have nothing new to bring to the table. Curtis, I have turned off my APP to speak with you. Simple question here, I'm sure you will respond with a 4 page explanation of yourself without even ANSWERING the question, but here it goes..... real simple.... ready? Here it is... please give me a ONE WORD answer.... exactly HOW many press releases have you written and sent out? Because I have been at this for decades, "pointers" and "tips" aren't the same thing, the technique decribed above by me has been taught to me YEARS ago, it is THE format to get attention. I have composed and sent out hundreds.

First when I said PR - I was referring to Public Relations not just press release.

To answer your question. I have sent out many press releases -50+.
IN addition to press releases, I find more success if you do an event and announce it through press releases and also even greater success is sending a press release giving the details of the accomplishments.

Now if you want papers and mags and etc to do a general story on you- that is a different approach and not a press release.

thegreatnippulini, I am sure you have lots of experience in public relations too. It comes hand to hand in this business. Not here to get a battle with you.
I know my acomplishments in the press world and you know yours... I personally invite you to check out a few
http://www.curtislovell.com/news&media.html

Also, if you notice, I am the only person who actually ofter to help and provide free advise over the phone... hmmm
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
And if it took you a long time to get out you could stop and have a snack! You could always do a huge pizza box escape!
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Quote:
On 2013-03-03 11:05, dave_matkin wrote:
And if it took you a long time to get out you could stop and have a snack! You could always do a huge pizza box escape!

OH your pizza joke actually recalls a media story well a few of them actually.

When I was 19, I was performing for a local pizza place for their kids night -
I contacted the media to let them know. I had the Suburban news and This Weeks News doing front page stories.
Also, I had the local chamber of Commerce coming out to cover the event in their newsletters - since the pizza place was a member.
A few weeks later I had 10tv news covering the event too.

Each had their own media angle for the right media slant to fit with in their publications needs.

Whats funny, I actually didn't write a press release to get them there- I had a different method.
Also, the same method I used to get a dedication on Casey Kasem top 20 http://www.curtislovell.com/caseykasem.html and a few other media outlets.

I also realize I have built up tons of contacts through the years where randomly writers/media outlets contact me to see what I am up to or sometimes stories just pop up without me evening knowing or pitching. Here is one of my favorites - http://www.sbsun.com/news/ci_11797081

Anyways Enjoy... Smile
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I'm still here. Trying to read the thread and sort everything out on my tiny Iphone, since I don't have a home PC currently.

Like I said, you guys are ALL generous and helpfull, but it's getting a tad overwhelming in this thread. I need to sort it all out!
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
No home PC ..... Where you reading? And on what device?

Ok we need to know a few things so I have a few questions....

1) what's the aim of promoting yourself? Ie become well known, get more gigs, appear in a gay mag, become famous, make yourself feel good etc etc?
2) what other stuff do you do?
3) you say your not new to escapes what have you already done?

This will help... If we don't know what you do / can / have done it may help.

Have you talked to this Rick Moore? What was his take on stuff?
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
All I know is, If you (not me) call all the news agencies and threaten to jump off a building... a few will show-up with cameras.

Nominations are now open for this event. Is there a quorum?
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
My idea would be to make the doll (if that's is the name of the vents thingy) do the stunts and be the EA. I am sure there would be some good gags you could write for it.

Out here there was a garden gnome kidnapped and it made front page news. The gnome was photographed in several locations with ransom notes and proof of existence stuff ( no phone calls allowed ) This story kept hitting the news for months.

Sad ending though, the gnome lost his fishing pole and starved to death.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Aww poor Gnome ..... Shame our troll never went that way.

There was a garden gnome over here who ran away from garden .... Owners distraught! But they kept getting pictures and post cards 'from the gnome' in different holiday locations. As far as I know he is still out there touring the world. Oh happy is the gnome that does not sty at gnome (ha see what done heir!)
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
That's a nice story Dave, reminds me of this by Pink Floyd.
“I want to tell you a story
'Bout a little man if I can.
A gnome named Grimble Gromble.
And little gnomes stay in their homes,
Eating, sleeping, drinking their wine.

He wore a scarlet tunic,
A blue-green hood, it looked quite good.
He had a big adventure
Amidst the grass, fresh air at last.

I still think a doll EA would be novel and could tour the world doing feats and surviving (that no man could do) If it worked for the Tracy’s, I cannot see why not again.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Quote:
On 2013-03-03 19:05, jay leslie wrote:
All I know is, If you (not me) call all the news agencies and threaten to jump off a building... a few will show-up with cameras.

Nominations are now open for this event. Is there a quorum?

hahaha-- so true.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2582 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Curtis, thanks for your WONDERFUL insight that basically proves that not only are you a liar, but you have no idea how this process works. you said it's best to "do an event, then send out a press release afterwards". Dummy. Press releases are specific to UPCOMING events, that's how it gets PUBLICIZED. The only news that makes it AFTERWARDS are obituaries. Stu. Now, please take no offense, I am turning my APP back on, which in turn makes your replies to my posts invisible. YAY!

Ian and Dave..... here in the states we are a bit more hardcore..... the local gnome that got swiped, well, the owners received a plaster thumb with the ransom note!
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
So who had 157words, one smilie and one website link ..... To a page with dead links on and a link to a page that pretty much says..... So I hear this bloke is planning to be buried alive ...... Now lets talk about the best buried alive scenes in TV and film. Followed by 83 messages about various scenes from different TV shows and movie scenes where people are buried. Then low and behold on page 6 post 81 only one person out of all thoes wants to know where you were getting out of the box under a bit of soil. Post 82 (thankfully) has a link that doesn't subject anyone to a ..... Thing ....I still am speechless.....can't say really... But any how it just goes to aoland no videos. Then post 83 back on to TV and film.

I just don't see how this makes you look good in anyone's eyes. ...... Squirrel!!!!!!!...........

Looks like we are not inky ones with the app Nipps!

Ho hum back to the real world for us! Smile
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
F.Y.I. the two buried alive stunts I was part of, both resembled something Houdini used to do on stage. The poster of the stunt is up on the TIES website.

http://www.tiesociety.info
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Sorry that was supposed to read.....

Looks like we are not the only ones with the app Nipps! The 81 people on that blog also have it. Smile

My favourite line that shows C-mans skills is this ....

"IN addition to press releases, I find more success if you do an event and announce it through press releases and also even greater success is sending a press release for what you did after. "

So that's 3 press releases for each event then.

Interesting that the big C says that success is sending a press release for what you did........ Says a lot really.

Ho hum back to the real world for us! Smile

Cue the 3 posts of drivel and blurting to explain where we're all wrong.

If I had been involved with the put in a box under some soil on a stage "escape"....... That had a video like that one .... Well lets just say I wouldn't keep publicising it.

That's my opinion and not one single person in the planet can tell me I'm wrong! But no doubt some are about to! Lol
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » A Need To Escape From Lack Of Publicity (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL