The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Cage? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Luke Sherratt
View Profile
Loyal user
The Isle Of Wight, England
246 Posts

Profile of Luke Sherratt
Hi, can someone tell me what is the best sized cage for doves? I am thinking of getting three doves to start is that ok or is three a crowd?

Thanks

Luke Smile
We're 106 miles from Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5034 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Luke: 3 birds are fine but if they are males, you may end up with fights. They are very territorial. In any case, my cages are 24" x 24" by 30" and I have some with two birds and some as singles. I wouldn't put 3 birds in a cage any smaller than that and would even consider two cages. They need some room to move around and stretch their wings.
Where the magic begins
zaubern
View Profile
Veteran user
Seattle, Wa
335 Posts

Profile of zaubern
I have always had best results keeping my doves in pairs. That's what works for me. I had one alone for a while and it got to be a little "mean" but once I had it paired up with another dove, it was fine.
Zaubern Smile
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22243 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Luke,

To answer your question. Doug Collins a breeder in Michigan says you should give 2 sq. ft. of cage for each bird. That means your cage should be 6 sq. ft. in size. Hope this info helps.

Bill Smile
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
JJDrew
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona
221 Posts

Profile of JJDrew
If the cage is going to be the birds' primary home (as opposed to having the run of the house) the consensus in books I've read is the bigger, the better. Get the largest cage that your house (and wallet) will allow. Would you rather live in a hut or a mansion?
Equally important with size matters are:
1) bar spacing - if you get a large cage, make certain that the bars are spaced close enough together that the dove can't squeeze its head between the bars and get stuck or strangle.
2) bar orientation - birds often move around by climbing up and down the bars of their cage. Make sure at least two of the walls of the cage have horizontal bars to facilitate this climbing and help keep the birds healthy and entergetic.
3) shape of the cage - don't get a round cage, (although one with a rounded roof is okay). If a bird is nervous, it will feel safer if it can squeeze into a corner. Round cages have no corners and can lead to some very stressed birds if they're nervous by nature already.
4) shape of the cage, part 2 - if you have a choice, a cage that's longer than it is tall is better than a tall narrow cage. Birds fly sideways, not up and down like helicoptors, so the wider the cage, the further they can fly.
Good luck to you.

One more thing, get an extra cage to keep around, even if it is smaller, so that if three does turn out to be a crowd, the odd one out has someplace to go.
Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
457 Posts

Profile of Kingry
Just checked. The Guy I buy my cages from still sells on Ebay under the handle Angula. Enter sugar glider cage in the search window. Killer cage for the price. It is huge, and easy to clean.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Luke,

Congratulations on getting into dove magic. That also puts you into the dove care business more hours than you are on stage.

I keep about a hundred doves. Most are in 8'x8'x8' walk-in cages. The breeders I keep in pairs. Their cages are 18" wide, 24" deep and 18" high. All live outside but have roofs and some wind protection. The best wire grids are 1/2" x 1". Remember that dove cages are more to protect the dove than to keep them captive. Make sure that any door latches can be operated with just one hand. The bird will be in the other. The floor needs to be something the doves can walk on flat-footed.

Enjoy your doves!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Magic.J.Manuel
View Profile
Special user
I have danced upon
664 Posts

Profile of Magic.J.Manuel
Doves need room to flap and fly some inside the cage since it is their only way to exercise. Also taking them out regularly and allowing them to fly is very good for them. Unlike parrots doves/pigeons do not climb the walls so bar orientation is less important. A plastic or hard board wall around the bottom 6 inches is useful to keep the mess from getting out while the birds flap around.

My friend is a building contractor and he had some extra wire shelving I used to construct a six foot long four foot high two foot deep enclosure with two levels for the birds to use. Added several different perches; one commercial cloth wrapped flexiperch, a long natural stick, (microwaved to kill germs/bugs) and a plastic hanger. The birds can jump or fly around and choose different places to sit. Of coarse food, water and grit. This would not work for a parrot or cockatiel/too since they may chew off the paint and plastic wire ties that hold it together. Doves are soft-bills so they don't chew, they are just little peckers.
Nothing would get done at all, if man waited so long that no one could find fault with it.
Gordon
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
692 Posts

Profile of Gordon
With three doves in a cage you'll need something fairly large. Remember, you'll want them to be able to get at least some exercise when they're in it, so make sure you have enough length for short flight and enough depth so their wings can be spread without touching the sides. As JJDrew said above, length is far more important than height.

Personally, I prefer to keep doves outside. I use a cote of my own design (which I sell plans for, send a private message if interested). It's about the size of typical picnic table. This allows for the birds to fly from end-to-end inside -- about 4-5 flaps of their wings in each direction. It's not unusual to see the birds "doing laps" back-and-forth, having some fun and getting a workout.
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1043 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
I had planned to build an avery outside. I only plan on getting 4 doves. Are there any kits I can get? What do I need to include, I am in England and the winters can get down to freezing but little below that. Where can I buy aviaries from?
I'll be keeping my doves in July but hope to be prepared for their arrival long before them.
Thanks
Nick
R Don
View Profile
Regular user
West Coast
188 Posts

Profile of R Don
Walsall..maybe you should pm a fellow dove worker named Sefton he lives in England but wait until Blackpool is over he's working.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22243 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On 2005-01-30 09:23, walsall wrote:
I had planned to build an avery outside. I only plan on getting 4 doves. Are there any kits I can get? What do I need to include, I am in England and the winters can get down to freezing but little below that. Where can I buy aviaries from?
I'll be keeping my doves in July but hope to be prepared for their arrival long before them.
Thanks
Nick

I believe Klamm Magic sells plans and instructions on an outside avery for a few doves.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Nick Wait
View Profile
Inner circle
Lichfield, UK
1043 Posts

Profile of Nick Wait
How can I contact them?
Thanks
Nick

I've just found their site, so I'm in the embarassing position of answering my own question.

Here is their address:
http://www.klamm-magic.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Cage? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL