We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Connection by Jon Allen (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3641 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I recently received this DVD. This is probably the best DVD I have seen in years, perhaps ever! I'm still on the first DVD, but I have gone through several routines and they are all simply great! I also really like the discussion with Dan Harlan. The discussion really adds value beyond the effects and routines in discussing the importance of, and how-to of connecting with an audience instead of performing to them. I really like the concept of avoiding, and I'm paraphrasing, DKDC, or "Don't know, don't care". He talks about how many performances challenge the audience with things like "How many balls are under the cup now?... Wrong!" This sort of approach leaves the spectator thinking "Don't know, don't care."
REALLY GOOD STUFF!
KJ
learachel
View Profile
Elite user
435 Posts

Profile of learachel
Buy it! Fantastic DVDs
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1712 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Thanks '1KJ' and learachel. I appreciate the comments. I hope other take note Smile

1KJ, have you had a chance to watch the other two DVDs? Thoughts?

I agree that the chats I had with Dan are what really make these DVDs stand out. I think we both brought out the best of each other.
Paragon 3D - the most incredible Card to Clear Box you will ever own. Be fooled here: http://youtu.be/GQxRZ1OGkUo
The Silent Treatment - Digital Edition: this iconic routine just got upgraded! Watch - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
Order the bar-raising DVD set 'Connection' at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
When did Dan join the Hare Krishnas?
hahaha
Just Kidding Dan.

You can't go wrong touching your audience! Their hearts I mean.
Great work Jon and Dan
I could really care less about learning new tricks. Its the lessons these two teach during their chats that is the real value.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2467 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
I really need this. Sounds great. On my list for sure. Top of my list. Next thing I get.
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1926 Posts

Profile of ted french
These reviews are great AND well deserved. So much good info and the tricks are really fun. Jon's magic is perfect for close up and the reactions on this DVD prove it.
P3
practice practice perform.
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ohio
953 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Quote:
On 2013-03-26 14:52, Chad Sanborn wrote:
When did Dan join the Hare Krishnas?
hahaha
Just Kidding Dan.

Actually, I look a lot more like Ragnar Lodbrok from the new Vikings series on the History channel... or (more precisely) he looks like me!
--Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.danharlanmagic.com
doktorp
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of doktorp
Let me tell you, that this is the best set of DVD’s, I bought in the last few years. And there were many!

Why? The effects shown on the DVD’s are all very practical and real world workers. But far more important is the theory behind it. I wish, that more magicians out there would think like Jon. Then, maybe, magic would have a better reputation all over the world.

Thank you, Jon, for this great set of DVD’s and sharing your ideas and secrets with us!

Patrick, Switzerland
magicHart
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas, Nevada
548 Posts

Profile of magicHart
Comments and praise for this set is pretty unanimous!

Gotta put some more stuff on the Café so I can purchase this!
Dr. Eamon
View Profile
Inner circle
--------eXtrementalism--------......IT'S ALL IN YOUR MIND.....
1260 Posts

Profile of Dr. Eamon
My complements on the DVD's
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I LOVE this set of dvds. It's one of the most fun I've had going back to ( it's amazing what you pick up when you revisit a great book or dvd on magic ). They really nailed it on the filming. I know the actual magic presented/taught is what really counts, but when a producer takes such care to capture an artist's performing style with such good camera work, it makes it more enjoyable to re-watch multiple times.

One Trick Two Names has people simply not able to grasp what happened because it seems impossible. It's also fun to listen to people discuss what happened. I've done similar routines, but Jon's plays better for me.

ADlibitious Card got me away from the canned patter/auto pilot I had been on for too many years with the ambitious card. I'm a spontaneous, off the cuff person and this was perfect for my personality and lets me play off whatever vibe the person or group has.

GHOST is just bloody good fun to do. Even though I've been carrying the Spider Pen Pro, I still have a Fearson Thread Bullet on me ( with John Haar IT ). It's perfect for this routine. Restaurant workers should take note of this routine because you won't have lighting issues you need to worry about with traditional anchor points.

I don't do a formal show ( make money;-), but I will go to open mic nights and have even hosted a few. One of my favorite routines to do has been Bank Night. After performing Jon's "The World's Funniest Joke" I would never do Bank Night any other way. I've done it 3 times since getting the set and people love it.

I'd be interested in hearing about anyone's experiences with 'Heros" from disk 3. I made it up using character from Joss Whedon's The Avengers because of it's popularity. Everyone knows The Hulk, Ironman, etc.

I hope Dave and Craig of The Wizard Product Review should do a review of the set. I think they will be gobsmacked over the worker material on the set because much of it applies to the venues they work.

Zombie
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1712 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Thanks again guys!

magicHart, get rid of stuff lying in your drawers that you never do and swap it for a load of stuff you will Smile

Zombie, Paper Crane did a really great job. They definitely know how to produce top quality DVDs. What a great idea to update Heroes to The Avengers! As I say on the DVDs, take something and change it to create something different. It may not be a huge change but subtle differences make big differences. Btw, who wouldn't go for The Hulk? Smile Also, out of curiosity, which joke do you use for TWFJ?

I'm surprised there is no review in the DVD section of 'The Good, The Bad & The Garbage' section on here....
Paragon 3D - the most incredible Card to Clear Box you will ever own. Be fooled here: http://youtu.be/GQxRZ1OGkUo
The Silent Treatment - Digital Edition: this iconic routine just got upgraded! Watch - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=phTDUhX0m9o
Chad Sanborn
View Profile
Inner circle
my fingers hurt from typing,
2206 Posts

Profile of Chad Sanborn
Seriously, if it has either of these names (Harlan, Allen) then you should buy it. But this has BOTH names! I hear SAM/IBM are thinking of making this products purchase part of the bylaws
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-04-13 06:50, Jon Allen wrote:
Also, out of curiosity, which joke do you use for TWFJ

You would hate it, but it was a knock-knock joke. Corny, stupid and silly. And they laughed!

How'd you know I went for The Hulk?
Astrocity
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Astrocity
Quote:
How'd you know I went for The Hulk?

That's easy..."Hulk is strongest one there is!!!"

Or as my 5 year old twin boys say, "Hulk SMASH!!!"
Hank Morfin
http://www.MorfinMagic.com
Hank Morfin Rocks!
Gaz_Japan
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of Gaz_Japan
The Avengers idea is great!Do you still use 9 characters?

I was thinking about using Game of thrones or x-men.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
9 characters and of course you have the prediction.
Gaz_Japan
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of Gaz_Japan
Do you use the same presentation as Heros?
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-04-14 03:26, Gaz_Japan wrote:
Do you use the same presentation as Heros?

No, I wrote my own script/presentation to fit The Avengers film. Unless people REALLY know the film, they would probably only know 4 of the characters, which have become part of the culture ( much like Houdini ). So I took liberties to bring in other well known Super Heros. What I have really doesn't have much to do with the film. It really just gives me a starting pint to introduce the effect.

The clever method to achieve the outcome is the star. The film/TV show you choose is just the window dressing.
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1712 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Chad, you are too kind!

Zombie, you are right the show/film/them is just the dressing for the routine. It allows for any type of presentation but preferably one that people can 'connect' with as opposed to having a group of non-relevant objects where all but one are eliminated.

Oh, I asume you included Spider-man?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Connection by Jon Allen (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL