The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Connection by Jon Allen (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Quote:
On 2013-03-06 11:59, magicinsight wrote:

I hope and pray everything turns out well. Don't bring the laptap into the operating room. You might distract the surgeon trying to learn how to do the ambitious card routine.

Michael

Oh... it's a small price to pay for learning a great way to present Ambitious Card Smile
Creator of iconic magic that you will want to perform.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Available at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
"Oh... it's a small price to pay for learning a great way to present Ambitious Card."

For who? The surgeon or the patient?
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
The surgeon can enjoy performing it; the patient can enjoy experiencing it!
(Oh wow! Off topic already. Must. Control. Myself.)
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
First off, thanks for the good wishes. We'll be here for a couple of more hours, but All went GREAT! It was a simple procedure ( on paper )...in a tender area. OUCH!

In case anyone doesn't want to read through what I wrote below, I'll sum it up by saying I think many not only will love this set, but actually NEED this set. You will find gems to use and learning Jon's approach to connecting with an audience makes this a must have set if you actually perform for people ( either just as a hobby or get paid ).

Because I'm a geek and carry stuff....I was able to perform 1 of the routines in the Caféteria ( by request...I don't ambush people with magic ).

I performed Ghost because I had what I needed ( I always have a Thread Bullet or Web Spinner on me because I'm a Thread Head ). Ghost caused a crowd of nurses to gather and applaud ( which you will get with many IT routines ). The beauty of Jon's routine is that it prevents people form wanting to look above, down, all over for how it's being done. The crumpled up bill, isolated in a glass, is a visual stunner and all their attention goes to it.

Because of the lighting, I could not have done a traditional bill float. I think with the right IT ( John Haar ) and proper shirt pattern, you could do this in daylight, strolling, restaurants, anywhere. It's simple to do and dramatic.

....back to the set.

It's beautifully filmed. I really only care about the magic, but it's a plus when so much effort is taken in the filming.

Jon believes there are NO Spectators and that is the point of this DVD set, how to make a "connection" with your audience. Dan Harlan joins Jon for explanations and interview segments. Dan KNOWS how to co-host. It's not usually done well by someone that is used to the lead role. Bravo Dan!

Portions are filmed in the Papercrane studio ( I recognized it from the Penguin Live lectures ) with what looks like an audience of laymen and there are performances out on the street and at a busy restaurant and bar area. Some DVD's show a Magician performing for people at a restaurant and...they have no drinks or food on their table. lol. Clearly they have been isolated just for the filming. Not so on this set.

It's is an education watching Jon perform for real people. He's funny ( and ad libs quick, funny responses ) and his magic on this set is SUPER strong. Not just "oh, that's clever or cool" but magic you will do and add his thinking on how you perform ( and make a connection ) using your existing magic.

There are small segments of Dan Harlan and Jon chatting about magic/methods, etc. and they aren't just "interesting" ( or worse..."how did you get into magic?" ) but chock full of tips on how to make the magic you perform much better by connecting with the audience.

Disk #1

1) Forced Improv: Filmed at The Papercrane Studio. An audience member chooses 4 cards from a deck of cards ( cards are face down and they don't know the value ). One at a time the participant puts them into 4 different pockets. Jon then shows the entire deck has all sorts of things written on blank faces: Lemons, dice, etc.

As they then remove each card from a pcoket, instead of playing card values, they are blank face with something written on them. If the card is in their front right pocket and says PHONE, Jon removes a phone from his right front pocket. As the audience member removes each card, whatever is written on it, Jon removes that object from his own corresponding pocket. It's a funny routine and I think an excellent opener.

Jon says if you do a watch steal, the last card could say "a watch" and you take out their watch from your pocket ( he doesn't teach a watch steal ).

2) High Society: Filmed at The Papercrane Studio. A "thought of" card on ceiling. The deck gets riffled and the audience member spots a card and Jon does a bit of mind reading to divine it. Throws the deck in the air....the thought of card is stuck on the ceiling.

I like a "thought of card" landing on the ceiling. I'm not big on every card ever chosen being signed, but some do. You could still have them sign the card, as long as you don't see the face. The next time I do Card On Celing, I'll use Jon's approach. I really like what he offers here.

3) 1709 Walkabout ( Jon doesn't share what 1709 means, it's apparently personal to him ): Filmed out on the street, we have Jon's handling of the Anniversary Waltz for two people in a group. If you do this trick, there may be some touches Jon has added that will be of interest ( when he was performing it...I didn't know where he was going with it. lol ). It's become a classic for a reason, so those that don't know it...WILL do it! I personally would suggest Jon's handling because I picked up some touches, even though I've done the trick for 20+ years.

4) DFKDFC ( Don't $%# Know, Don't $%# Care ). It's not a trick, but an explanation from Jon to Dan and us on making people care about what you're performing.

5) Unique Coin Bend: Performed at a bar. A coin bends in there hands. They are given a penny and dime ( they are clearly not bent ). They close their hand and Jon goes into the routine. Jon's presentation uses negative energy doing the bend ( it is funny ) You can use any presentation you'd like. Anyone that has done coin bending knows how strong it is.

You will need a gimmick ( you're using a dime and penny, so most will know what they need ). If you have the Capt. and Coke put out by The Blue Crown, you could use that. I have the dime and penny and will use this. Good, strong, magic in their hands!

6) Learning About People: Jon and Dan chat about that subject. And Jon tips a golden nugget on approaching a table to perform ( it took 9 years of performing restaurants for Jon to hit upon this ). With this one opening line, you will be able to know who is at the table and how to proceed.

7) One Trick Two Names: Performed at an outdoor patio of a restaurant. John has a red back card he's signed on the back. A young lady pick a card from a blue deck and signs the face. Jon gives a fun, sort of cold reading based on her sig.....Jon loses her card in the deck and....she turns over Jon's signed red back card and it's actually her signed card as well. VERY strong magic that I'm adding to what I do. I've performed Darwin's Dream Card, but this uses no wallet and I like Jon's routine and clever subtleties.

Ghost: Performed on the outdoor patio of a restaurant. A bit of this was shown in the trailer. A signed bill ( Jon gives an excellent reason for the signature ) is crumpled into a ball and dropped into a glass and does some spooky animations. It's a BEAUTIFUL routine ( and it's very easy to do ). I really like the idea of using the glass. I think this cancels out anyone thinking "string" ( which does happen ). Jon gives his preference of animation over levitation. I'll be doing this routine!

Jon also gives some wonderful touches to this routine that make it a showpiece. I would suggest getting a Fearson Thread Bullet or a JoeJoe Web Spinner, with John Haaar IT. They just make this type of work so much easier.

The Creative Process: Jon chats with Dan about...his creative process. Great food for thought!

Palm Up Bill Switch: Performed for a group on the street...SURROUNDED! One of the best I've seen. Jon changes a $1 into a $100. And he delivers a killer presentation for changing it back ( which has always been seen as a downside ). You could also do a mis-made bill.

Oh, you need more info? I happen to be one of the top mentalists in the world, so I know what you're thinking.

1) The $1 can be borrowed

2) No TT is used.

Signal Strength: Mentalism ( psychometry ) performed for the lay audience in the Papercrane studio. 3 audience members are invited onstage and directed to take out their cell phones and are given envelopes to place and seal them inside. Jon places a Kit Kat bar ( same size as an Iphone, etc. ) in his envelope and seals it. The 4 envelopes are mixed up by on of the participants and spread across a table. Jon gives his cell phone to one of the members on stage and they are going to call their own phone.....after Jon chooses an envelope he feels contains the cell phone belonging to the caller. The call is made and...Jon is correct. To the next participant for the same.....

For the last one...Jon adds some brilliant comedy/tension.

Perfect for for an intimate setting or stage and Jon gives two methods: simple and "deluxe". I think the deluxe method is not only easy, but will appeal to any working pro.

Well, that's it for volume #1. I'll do the other 2 volumes as well if your interested.
BMWGuy
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
2564 Posts

Profile of BMWGuy
Zombie,

Yes,

Please do a review on Vol 2 and 3, love your Vol 1. review.

alex
PRESET by Alex Alejandro & Dan Harlan now available for a special introductory price!
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4306 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Zombie,
Thank you for such s great review. I look forward in getting my dvd set. I am glad the procedure went well.
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
Rogerstatonmagic
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Rogerstatonmagic
So excited for this one...its a little out of my price range but I cant wait until I can get it
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
P3 released FAX by Loki too.

Jon is amazing - I will however miss his prior lovely assistant from the Flexion DVD - sniff sniff.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Good review. More, please.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
The ad didn't have descriptions, so I think that's what everyone would like to know. I watched the other two disks, but haven't performed any of the magic yet ( I was able to do Ghost from disk #1 because I was set up already, geeky magic person I am ).

Disc Two

•Asking "Why?" Dan and Jon discuss various ideas behind the motivation of asking a participant to do something ( think of a card, signing something, Booktests, etc. ). You WILL use these ideas.

•Grabbit Production: Performed in the Papercrane studio for an audience. Jon performs a bottle production ( wine bottle in this case ) from a burst ballon. It's a technique for...grabbing things, not just bottles, and producing them by making it look as if it just appears as opposed to other techniques where you're just displaying the bottle by holding it by the neck. Other objects can appear in a much more convincing fashion.

•ADlibitious Card: Performed outside on a restaurant patio. It' s Jon's take on this classic Ambitious Card. First there's a detailed chat between Dan and Jon as to why Jon uses this approach. Not just his handling, but with Jon's thinking of getting away from being on auto pilot by not using the same patter each time you perform the AC. Not only does it keep the routine fresh for the performer ( some guys and gals stop using the ACR because it gets old for them ) but it gets a group involved in the fun ( they all don't 'sign" the card to make this happen ). Also, it lets you know immediately as to what type of person/group you are performing for ( fun and outgoing or reserved,, etc. ).

I'm going to start using it. I think I'm a funny, quick thinker so I can just dive in. For those that stick to a strict canned patter, this will get your creativity flowing.

•Ring Off String Move: Performed from behind the bar at the restaurant. It's a borrowed finger ring and string routine. Jon only teaches the one penetration move he's known for, so if you do ring on string you may want to add this. If you don't have a routine, you''ll have to do some research and learn some standard bits to create a routine ( or just do the part that Jon teaches as most R&S routines are too long to begin with ).

•Coming Full Circle: Dan and Jon chat about routining a performance set.

•Lucky Card: Performed for the audience at the Papercrane Studio. Jon dealt down cards from a blue deck and an audience member called stop and that was their lucky card. Jon then tells a story about is lucky card and brings out a red deck to illustrate why. Turns out Jon's lucky card matches the other card.

It 'sounds" so-so the way I wrote it, but Jon makes this into a theatrical piece.

Oh...the card they choose is forced. It is deceptive and so simple a beginner could do this convincingly.

•Executive Decision: Filmed live out on the street. It's a red/black separation done in their hands. If you didn't have a table to do OOTW, then this may appeal to you. A shift is needed ( pass, etc. ), but is done at a perfect moment to take heat off the cards.

•Burning Rubber: filmed live on the street, it's Jon's multi phase rubber band routine. First on the street for two young lady's. Jon has yellow rubber bands on his wrist. He ask one girl to take a rubber band off his wrist. He then shows another way to do it and pulls the rubber band THROUGH his wrist ( thank you Dan Harlan ). They bug out. lol.

He is about to go into CMH and we then get several shots of Jon performing CMH for them and in the restaurant and bar area. It's CMH, so of course...they are amazed. He does some classic variations and a beautiful broken and restored band that happens around their wrist. This looks fantastic.

Jon offers some great touches to the entire routine and I can see many Magicians adopting this set

•True Lies: Jon and Dan continue the rubber band magic. An audience member ( Dan ) breaks a rubber band into pieces. Jon starts to drop pieces into his closed fist and even invites the participant to drop a piece in. Magic takes place and it's restored. Yes, it uses a device we all know to accomplish it. Jon gives great detail on how to make it look magical. You already carry rubber bands, so you get this extra great kicker to any rubber band routine(s) you do.

•Spielbergism: Dan and Jon have a chat and Steven Spielberg's films are the subject and how it relates to the magic we do.

•Citizen Cane: Filmed at the Papercrane Studio using 4 people at a table that would be representative of a restaurant ( it uses...sugar packets ). Two participants each choose a sugar packet from a caddy and sign them. One packet is brown ( raw ) sugar, the other white. They sign them and cover the packets with their hands. Magic takes place to make them switch places. They lift their hands and nothing seems to have happened. BUT...tearing open the packets, the brown sugar packet gets white sugar poured out and the white sugar packet has brown sugar poured out.

A little arts and craft prep is needed of course. But, getting their signed packets to pour out the sugar of opposite colors is a mini master class in good solid magic ( think Tamariz and jinx. ). It would be interesting to hear from restaurant workers that adopt this.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I'll post about disc 3 today. But I'm serious when I say this is one of the best DVD sets I've ever seen ( going back to the first VHS's put out ). You will use much of this material and re-evaluate what you do now, to NOT have "spectators" ( there, I said the bad word;-)

I've actually always called them that. After watching Jon's set, it does feel like a dirty word. I "get it" now.

Here's my thoughts on The World's Funniest Joke. I think, IMHO, this is the BEST version of Bank Night I have ever come across. No sucker envelopes, etc. Everyone is a star in making this happen.

Bank Night has been known for the audience getting zero and the Magician getting the big bucks. Or a little better, the audience gets lotto tickets or coupons and...The Magician Gets a $100 bill.

I think this only serves to make the Magician look clever, that they never had a free choice, etc. What Jon has done here, I feel it's going to have performers everywhere doing it. Hobbyists like myself can use it at family parties, gatherings, picnics. Professionals could use it in their shows, that's how strong this is.

It is brilliant in method ( Jon offers 2 ) and how it plays.

More later.

Zombie
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1149 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
I have Jon's "Penguin Live" lecture. Is some of the footage from that lecture?

If so, how much of it is duplicated on this dvd set?

Thanks!
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Thanks for the review of disk 2.
Iain Moran
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
693 Posts

Profile of Iain Moran
Quote:
On 2013-03-07 16:30, Tim Hannig wrote:
I have Jon's "Penguin Live" lecture. Is some of the footage from that lecture?

If so, how much of it is duplicated on this dvd set?

From my memory of that lecture, I'd say about 3 or 4 items at the very most.

Iain.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Disc 3 descriptions ( and some comments from me ). I didn't written this much in college. lol.

•What's the Point? Jon and Dan chat about making your magic having a point and meaning something.

•The World's Funniest Joke: Filmed with the Papercrane audience. See comments I made above in a separate post.

•Oralgami: Filmed at the bar. It's a routine that involves the audience..orally, with origami. You can let them keep it as a souvenir, yet...they will never figure out how you did it. So what starts as a cute/funny gag...turns into an impossible puzzle for them that they can keep.

•(untitled) Book Test: Filmed for the Papercrane audience. Audience member joins Jon on stage for....a book test. I thought I caught the method in play, but then the participant did something that had me stumped on how it was done. Punters would have no clue. I feel, the way Jon has constructed this, the participant is actually helping you because Jon has them holding the book and turning pages ( as opposed to many methods where the performer holds the book and riffles the pages until they call stop. ). I think many performers that do a book test will be interested in what Jon is offering here.

Jon also goes over what happens...if things goes wrong ( in the trailer you can see Dan drop the book, which can happen ). You should always be able to recover from the unexpected ( people get handed stacked decks and...drop them. lol. ).

•Introduction to Heroes: Jon and Dan chat about the upcoming trick, Heroes.

•Heroes: filmed on the restaurant patio. It's based on the show Heroes. 9 Photo Cards ( you find those on the internet and print them off and laminate them ) with the characters from the show. They are displayed and the spectator makes choices that end up with a final card matching a prediction in an envelope that has been on the table the entire time ( yes, they can open the envelope ).

I don't know the Heros show or characters and if that's the case with you, don't pass it by when you start to watch it. The prediction matching is what this is about and the clever way to make it happen. You can use any film/TV show, etc. you like and know best. It could be sports figures/teams, Harry Potter, Super Heros, etc. I'd pick whatever the most popular film/Tv show that the most people would know.

The way Jon constructed this, it doesn't look like a procedural elimination trick. The participant is making choices and it's there team vs. yours. I want to use the Marvel characters so I made up cards from the Avengers film. Even if people didn't see the film, most everyone knows the Hulk, Ironman, etc. I'm really looking forward to using this.

•The Problem with Business Cards: filmed for the Papercrane audience. Jon removes 9 business cards from a stack and hands them to an audience member. While Jon turns away, she writes down the name of ANY playing card. Free choice. She then, with Jon's back turned, spells out, using 1 card for each letter, what the card is. BUT...Jon tells her that no mater what she wrote, she can spell out a different card if she'd like. lol.

Jon then hands out one card each to 9 audience members, face down. He then divines who has the card. Baffling. And....that's 9 people that get to keep his business card at a paid gig. You could carpet bomb an event with your business cards, but it would never look like you were handing out your business card!

It's not over yet. Another audience member has been holding a pack of cards. Jon removes them from the case and there is only one card face down in the face up pack. It's the freely chosen card!

It uses 9 business cards, so those that still read magic books might guess the genesis of this ( no, not the Magic For Dummies book:- )

•Introduction to The Wedding Trick: Jon and Dan have a chat about asking "why" as it pertains to methods.

•The Wedding Trick: Filmed on the restaurant patio. John hands a couple there own stack of post it notes that are shaped like hearts ( I got mine at Target after watching this ). They each are told to write down one thing that attracted to them to the other person. A deck of cards is introduced and Jon takes a ordinary card trick and turns it into a magical, emotional moment for the couple. Perfect for weddings, anniversaries or just for a couple out dining.

•Schrodinger's Card: No performance ( it's not needed ). It's Jon and Dan having a chat about Jon's card to envelope. An actual method/routine isn't taught for loading a signed card into an envelope ( There's plenty of resources for that ). What Jon brings to the table is how to reveal it.

Many of us have done signed card to envelope. It's a GREAT trick. When they open that envelope and their signed card is inside, it's a magical moment for them and ourselves as performers.

Here's my feeling after watching: It's going to be VERY difficult for anyone that does that trick NOT to use Jon's thinking. The magic has the potential of lasting far longer than the trick.

Well, that's the descriptions of all 3 volumes. The ad said "CONNECTION will not only turn you into a better magician; it will turn you into a better performer".

That's a BIG claim, but I think it's accurate. The set is not just "tricks", but has a philosophy behind it to make you think about the magic you perform and making it have meaning to an audience.

And...here's a big plus...there is no filler ( IMHO ). "Most" multi DVD sets could have been trimmed down to 2 discs ( except Bill Malone's first DVD set ). I didn't see one trick on Connection that I thought should have been left off.

Zombie
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Hi Zombie,

Thank you for the reviews. Even though it's my DVD set, I'd thank you for taking the time to out it all up on here for everyone.

I can't say too much as people might think I'm ever so slightly biased ;-) What I will say is that I am glad to see that you absolutely 'get it'. I hope other people feel the same as you with about set. It is absolutely not a collection of 'answers to problems that didn't need solving'. The one thing I will add is that the title not only refers to the connection you have with your audience; it's also the connection they have with the magic effects.

For those interested nearer these shores (UK) the set is available on my website (www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk). There is a deal for those who purchase the DVD set and my book together. Also, the first 100 people who buy 'Connection' will receive a special gift from me. I won't tell you what it is but it relates to something on the set. All I will say is that it might be worth a fair bit of money... or maybe not ;-)

I'd love to hear your view of 'Connection' and as I said before, if you have any questions within reason, I'll be happy to answer them for you.

Jon
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Thanks for the review of all three disks.
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Thanks Zombie for the review. Looks like a great way to improve some of my existing routines. And learn a few new ones.
I think the biggest mistake people make (myself included) is to not make that connection with their audience. You can do great tricks and have great skill but with no connection- there is no magic.
Marc Mason once said (something like) "if you do great magic and your audience doesn't like you-it doesn't matter. you can do not so great magic ,but if the audience likes you- it doesn't matter. what matters is the audience likes you."
So a DVD about how to make that connection by Jon Allen with Dan Harlan. I'm in.Jim
TheTableTopTrixta
View Profile
Special user
708 Posts

Profile of TheTableTopTrixta
My word guys this is one of the greatest magic DVDs produced..... And I'm not one to big something up unless I really believe in it!

I might add I'm only on disk one!

Full review to follow BUT heads up get this ordered, you will love it!

The production quality is epic, the tricks are fantastic but the real worth lies within the thinking!
Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Wow! Thanks TTT. Appreciate the comments and look forward to your full review.

One thing I will mention is that the title refers not only to the connection between you and your audience but also between the effects you do and you audience. I chat to Dan about this during the 'DFK/DFC segment. In a nutshell, why should the audience care about the tricks you show them? They can be shocked and amazed but after that.... so what? None of the items on the set are tricks where I show them what I can do in isolation from them whether it's the presentation or the premise. Nothing sums up having a connection with the effect better than what I feel is a unique moment for a magic DVD captured on camera. You can see it at 1:35 on the trailer.

I look forward to hearing some more feedback, good or otherwise, from those who have seen the DVDs.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Connection by Jon Allen (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL