We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Coins Across/Three Fly - Which do you prefer for your Street Show? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
923 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
I am adding a Coins Across or Three Fly routine to my show this year. I will be using Dollar size coins because let's face it, anything smaller just won't work in a street setting. I have been doing well with my street show and I don't believe in purchasing cheap props. I also got a decent tax refund this year and was able to purchase an expanded shell set.

I did a lot of research and finally got a Soft Morgan Set with re-milled edges from Lassen. I don't believe in buying quality magic props and not using them so I will be making this a part of my show. I am just not set on whether I should do a 3 fly or coins across. I would like opinions on what people think is better for the street audience?

If you would please comment with which you like better, 3 Fly or Coins Across, and why. I may learn both and try both on the street and see what gets the best reaction and go with that. I really want opinions backed by evidence though.

When the coins come in I will post a picture and then when I have a routine that is acceptable I will put a video on here. Then you guys can tell me what you think of my performance...

On another note, I have been doing billiard ball stuff that I started working on last year for getting 'em to stop! I have found that continuous ball productions tend to work best, into my hat. I will then vanish the ball and pick up the hat like it's heavy and put it on. This works about as well as a silk vanish. Mostly because it is very visual and entertaining in it's won right!
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
First thing to mind: at what point are you wanting to do coins across or 3 fly? What if the feke', or the coins fall? Are you chill enough to not let it bother you? Oh and by the way, if you use a crisp morgan on the street, it will fall. ask Todd about the condition of my silver dollars;) do you want to use these for close up or playing to the biggest house? for me the higher up your hands are the larger the trick can play. a coins across in your palms will play a little smaller then displaying 3 coins at your finger tips which are held under your chin. I'm not sure of your performing style,but if you like manipulation, one coin and a feke' can do you really good. hope this helps...
Stperformer
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Stperformer
My opinion/experience....magicians like 3 Fly more than lay audiences. A good coins across I found works better with the public. But that's only my experience, others may differ.
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
Agree...
Legerdemaniac
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Legerdemaniac
Yes, without a doubt lay audiences find coins across far stronger than 3 fly. Obviously plays a fair bit smaller though. If I ever get myself back onto the street I will be trying to adapt my coins across to a coins across to (plastic) glass. Untested as yet though.
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Quote:
On 2013-03-04 23:24, Stperformer wrote:
My opinion/experience....magicians like 3 Fly more than lay audiences. A good coins across I found works better with the public. But that's only my experience, others may differ.

I concur
Dea7h
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Dea7h
Quote:
On 2013-03-04 23:24, Stperformer wrote:

True, I also prefer 3 Fly
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
3 Flys can be boring or eye candy. Nate Kranzo and Michael Eaton have some wonderful versions ( both on their Penguin Live lectures ).

Michael Eaton performs his magic for the Orlando Magic home games and restaurants in the area. The magic he performs HAS to be visual and entertaining.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
923 Posts

I am aware of the danger of dropping a silver Morgan dollar on the ground and the effect will have on the coin, i.e. F*&%ing it up. Part of the reason for using Morgans is two fold. 1) They are bigger and more visible than half dollars. 2) They are interesting. We used to use them because they were common objects that everyone was familiar with. That isn't the case anymore but they are interesting and will get attention themselves.

I originally thought of getting the Cheaper clad coins for my street work but decided I just don't like them. The Ike's are ugly and not as exotic as the Morgans. I have been thinking and I will likely do the Coin bit in the place where my Rope Routine is now, and move the rope routine to be the effect right before the big finish.

I have also been thinking of adding a signed bill to pen effect. I have thinking of patter ideas for this and using it as part of the hat lines. I also have been thinking of adding a bill change. I like the Bill Breaker effect. I have extreme burn as well but I like the comedy of Bill Breaker and only changing the bill into a $5 instead of $20s or bigger bills. It also allows for me to add a new hat line where I can change the bill into a 5, back into a 1 and then say, "The only way I make $5's and $10's is when that's what you tip me!"

Anyway, I will keep thinking about the advice you guys are giving and I will post my thoughts after I get the coins and practice some.
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
I noticed that absolutely nobody cares what kind of coins I use. The answer "why" I use morgans is strictly for me. They are shinier, the soft silve sticks to my fingers. that's pretty much it. Ikes tend to dull out and slide off my fingers. If I pass them out, sometimes an older American will notice they are silver dollars. But most everyone else just sees it as a large coin. Many countries still mint large coins much more visually interesting, like a large Aussie coin. In Asia when I pass morgans out during close up they always ask me if its real or fake. So at the end of they day, its not a coin. its a prop.

don't get too attached to your expensive coins either. I once had a coin purse that had 4 pristine peace dollars. They were all stolen in a magic shop I visited that day. I drop my coins on the ground. this is normal and its life. its almost inevitable that it will roll into the gutter someday. so don't get attached
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Hello Brother Shaun!
Always read what Nick has to say, he is a very good egg and has solid sage advice....he's my dear buddy!

I perform and use the coins across, but I also perform a three fly routine with the aid of Platt's "Sugar Rush".

Do me a favour and get :Sugar Rush:, You will thank me later....go right now and appropriate Sugar Rush whilst it's fresh on your mind!
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
923 Posts

Brother Devious,

Where has the wind blown you? I have gone and bookmarked Sugar Rush and will be adding it to my modest magic collection the next time I purchase magic. I always take the advice of my peers especially those with more experience than me(I am referring to you and Nick)! Looking forward to getting out and doing some magic in some new places this year! Maybe I will even get a chance to hang with you guys this year!
Gary Kosnitzky
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Gary Kosnitzky
I agree with David Roth's viewpoint.
Coins across is suspenseful.
3 fly is missing the element of suspense.
Rediscover a lost art.

www.jadoosmagic.com
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Chris Kenner's lovely wife sure knows how to perform it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-xnfoHXtzI&feature=relmfu
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
923 Posts

I guess it depends on the place it holds in the show and how you present it. Sometimes you want suspense and porker times you want visual.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8882 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hiya Gr8,

Just running across this string, interesting question. I think 3 Fly is better for streets, just more visual, especially with Morgans. I would think, walking around, 3 fly would be stronger than a Coins Across. Though CA can be fun to do and a bit more interactive with specs that I have found. It also depends a bit upon what versions of the tricks you do. Coins Across effects lend themselves better to developing your own version, which is pretty neat as you build something that works for you and your environment. I sorta did that with my version of 3 Fly, I call My Fly. It lends itself to a bit of a story and I have done it out on the streets more than a few times to good applause. It's got some special touches to it and a nice turn of events, IMHO. Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxTF04vddfo

I like it because you don't have to be right up on people for them to see well. To me, CA effects are somewhat jumpy but they can also be quite effective. Sankey's Mr. Clean Coins Across version is nice but might be sorta difficult to pull off with Morgans -- He does it with halves quite effectively as to some of the more important moves in the routines. Do you work on a portable table? I don't, so anything done on a table is out for me. I prefer to go to my pocket get something, do it, and be able to move on. While I agree with a some of the previous comments, I happen to think 3 Fly would play better out on the streets. As to the comment from David Roth about it, well he's really not a 3 Fly sorta guy. Smile If you asked that same question to other stellar coin men like, Chris Kenner or Homer Liwag, they'd answer differently I would think, and lot of guys that do great 3 Flys would, though they might not want to disagree with Roth's deeper thoughts on the matter. My personal view is that the effects 3 Fly or Coins Across go by inside of a minute, not so sure the element of suspense is so very important as to the eventual amazement. 3 Fly can be very amazing. But if you like CA, Roth's [ Coins Across is a really nice one to do at a table, looks like real magic. Smile He uses halves mostly but I used to do it with Morgans and it worked pretty well.

Also, as to the coins you use, well, of course a set of soft Morgans is really cool (got a nice set myself) but I typically use an old set of beat up coins my grandfather gave me long ago that are quite worn soft from over the many decades. They don't all look exactly alike and I have come to realize that specs could care less, as long as the coins look similar enough. That's as good as it has to get truth be told for the specs. Now for the Magi, well that might be like how a kid keeps baseball cards. Smile I would think a set of fake Morgans would work just as well. In fact, I know they would as I have used them. In Chris Kenner's original 3 Fly, it is not imperative in the handling to have to use soft coins. In other versions, soft coins are quite helpful. Anyway, them's my thoughts on it. Smile Good luck with adding to your set. Might be the best of of both worlds to just learn how to do both 3 Fly and a good Coins Across and switch them up here and there. Who knows, you might find you like doing them both as both are fun routines that play well out there. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-03-11 18:28, Mb217 wrote:
I call My Fly. It lends itself to a bit of a story and I have done it out on the streets more than a few times to good applause. It's got some special touches to it and a nice turn of events, IMHO. Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxTF04vddfo

Just like Jazz. BEAUTIFUL!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13415 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
If you can do it with coins, consider increasing the visibility and do it with colored billiard balls.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
bwarren3
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of bwarren3
I think it's going to be a great addition to your street act. I added it abut a year ago telling them that here is a great classic of magic that every magician tries to learn and I've almost got it down..
I have been using half dollar PHYLE coins from Chastain and they work perfectly not I'm planning on upgrading to the Morgans because of the better visibility then selling the half set.... It always gets great reactions and very nice hats too....
Bill
G.Gilbert
View Profile
Elite user
baltimore
495 Posts

Profile of G.Gilbert
My favorite is my coins to glass routine that has elements of 3 fly and coins across.. it has all.the visuals, sound, and very strong magic, plays big or small.. I've showed it to very few magicians but I might put a performance of it on YouTube... I don't use gimmicks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Coins Across/Three Fly - Which do you prefer for your Street Show? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL