The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Any suggestions? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
crash1992
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of crash1992
I am a novice performer. I only have about 5 tricks that I am confident enough to perform. The thing is, I am a somewhat broke college student and a lot of the tricks I see on, NAME DROP ALERT, Penguin Magic are around $60 bucks. I can't afford those tricks and if I do buy them, I will lose my hard earned money and won't be able to perform them. I really like Street magic and, being a cashier at a family restaurant, coin tricks I can use when I give someone their change. I have beaten the coin behind the ear reveal to death and I do not have the passion for it anymore. I also found that when I do the behind the ear tricks on kids, the parents would slip me an extra few bucks as tip. My love/hates me performing. Loves that I bring in extra money, hates that I am doing it on the clock. I know this is running long so I will start wrapping things up. I hope The Magic Café community can help a struggling beginner get his foot in the door leading to the world of magic. Thank you for reading and I look forward to your replies.
Robbie_Parris
View Profile
New user
49 Posts

Profile of Robbie_Parris
Hi Crash, welcome to the Café!

So are you asking for an easy coin trick you could do while working at the cash? If you work at learning some basic sleight of hand there are boatloads of quick little tricks you could learn with coins. Do yourself a favor and spend the 20 bucks and pickup a copy of Bobo's Modern Coin Magic. Learn up a bunch of the sleights in there and you could easily have enough to dazzle people with when handing back their change. Unfortunately magic is never free. You will spend both money, and time...lots of time. But trust me my friend buying a book like Bobo's could keep you in more magic than you know what to do with if you put it the time.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
There are many excellent books you can purchase for under $20. You'll find plenty to keep you busy.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
PsychoHazard
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of PsychoHazard
You also may want to keep an eye on the Cool Box on Penguin Magic, at different times I picked up Jay Sankey's "Sankey's Best Coin Magic" and Jay Noblezada's "In the beginning, there were coins" for relatively cheap. I know it may be a wait before it cycles around to something you want, but it's one of those things where patience really pays off.
crash1992
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of crash1992
Thank you for your replies! Robbie_Parris: I downloaded Penguin Magic's free introduction video and I learned the Bobo's coin switch. I really have to practice it. Motown: Can you name a few books? I learn better with video demonstrations. PsychoHazard: Thanks for the tip.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
So $$$ is tight! Don't waste it, buying $60 tricks!!! Tricks are ONLY tools. A good carpenter with a basic hammer and saw, level and square, can build a mansion. A lousy carpenter with a whole truck full of the latest power tools will build a shack.

J.B. BOBO was a very dear friend (we met in 1951). His book is "Coin Magic 101". He has a chapter or two on gaffed coins,etc., but mostly, you'll learn to use skill. If, unlike a monkey, you have an opposable thumb, you can do the material. (physically)

In the past 20 + years, a plethora of DVDs VHSs and, yes, BOOKS on coins,cards, ETC., have hit the "magic market". Most that I know of are good, A few are
"so so". But, as a beginner, stick with the classics. --especially BOOKS. There will be plenty of time later to expand your interests,

LEARN a half dozen good solid tricks with simplel cheap props: coins, cards, ring and string, etc. AND, learn how to make your performance ENTERTAINING.

I've made a good living with about 15 tricks for over SIXTY-FIVE YEARS. I'm comfortably retired. I've never bought a car or an RV on time in my life. I have no outstanding bills (except gas and groceries.)My entire 45--60 minute show weighs 22 lbs, packs in a 13" x 20" x 8" case, sets up in 2-3 minutes, tears down in the same, and can be performed anywhere for anybody. After my first year performing, I never had to ASK for bookings, the managers, and agents, called me1

You state that you've beaten the coin behind the ear to death etc. THAT'S WHEN IT IS GETTING GOOD. Wise professionals don't change tricks, they change audiences!!!

You're not performing for YOUR BENEFIT (other than getting paid for the show). You are performing for the audience's benefit. Magicians, nowadays, are ENTERTAINERS..

If you are only perforning for your own benefit, you are masturbating in public!

You'll need to learn how to make the tricks that you perform, ENTERTAINING. MAGIC is not inherently entertaining. The magician, if he keeps his presentation simple and fun can likely make the performance entertaining.

If you think doing a trick with a "watch how clever I am, I can fool you with this trick" attitude, you'll soon be doing those tricks for yourself. A wise magician INVOLVES THE AUDIENCE!. INTERACTION IS WHAT MODERN ENTERTAINMENT IS ALL ABOUT.

Welcome to the "club"!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
whiteoakcanyon
View Profile
Special user
899 Posts

Profile of whiteoakcanyon
Crash 1992 welcome to the Café. I recommend Modern Coin Magic: 116 Coin Sleights and 236 Coin Tricks by Bobo. It is a great book which is a staple in most magiciam's libraries because it is such a great source for coin magic. Good luck.

Mark
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
I must admit I don't understand the statement, "I learn better with videos, then reading." One can learn one trick in an hour of watching a video that cost $35 to $60, but you can learn 25 or more tricks in an hour of reading.

Not to mention you say you don't have money, but here you want to learn from a media that requires a very expensive computer or DVD player, Sound System, and Television.

This is one to buy, the paperback copy is not complete.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S6570

As for Cards buy "Royal Road to Card Magic" and "Expert Card Technique", these are the foundation for good card magic.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/573

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/1013

Then buy the Encyclopedia of Rope magic, and the 4 Volume set of the Encyclopedia of Silk Magic which is on CD in PDF format.

Go to your local library and look at what they have in the magic trick section. Some libraries even have DVD of magic.
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
822 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Quote:
On 2013-03-04 19:59, crash1992 wrote:
The thing is, I am a somewhat broke college student and a lot of the tricks I see on, NAME DROP ALERT, Penguin Magic are around $60 bucks. I can't afford those tricks and if I do buy them, I will lose my hard earned money and won't be able to perform them.

Crash I am perplexed by your statement. Perhaps you can clean this up for me. Why wouldn't you be able to perform them if you bought them?

Also if you feel something like coin behind ear is getting old, spice it up. Try changing your lines. Make a quick story about why coins are found behind ears or make a little routine where you pull a coin from the ear, elbow, and/or knee. One reason is might be old is because you might not be getting a great reaction from it. I never tire of my bread and butter effects. If someone hands me a deck I do Design for Laughter with a Harry Lorayne touch up. Great reaction and has never failed me. The reactions are what most magicians want, it is our way to know if we are doing well or poorly. So if something feels old it might be time to spice it up.
crash1992
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of crash1992
Thank you all for the constructive criticisms. Andy, let me rephrase my statement: I notice that when I get a new routine, I quickly realize it is beyond my experience level and I try to find something new. That M.O. is what's costing me money. Sorry for the poor word choice.

I am sensing some hostility from the replies I am reading. If this is true, I deeply sorry and please forgive me if I offended you in any way
PsychoHazard
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of PsychoHazard
Quote:
On 2013-03-04 22:24, crash1992 wrote:
PsychoHazard: Thanks for the tip.

Any time. When I started out, I had the same issue with figuring out what to buy. I still have piles of DVDs and gimmicks that are either too complicated or that just don't fit my style, so I've learned the value of shopping frugally when I'm unsure of something. Sales are your friend, especially while you're still getting a handle on what's out there and what you want to do with it.
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Crash - please read Bill H and Dick O comments.

Here's how you can become a competent magician on $0.25 per day:

1) Buy Modern Coin Magic (Bobo). The complete version is $50 (see Bill's post) and the Dover edition is about $15. The complete is better, but if you can't afford that get the Dover or visit your local library.
2) Study Bobo daily for 45 minutes over the next six months. Save $0.25 per day.
3) After three months buy Vol 1 of Card College (Giobbi)
4) Study Card College for 45 minutes a day and practice coin routines from Bobo for 15 minutes a day. Continue to save $0.25 per day.
5) After six months buy Card College Vol 2. Study for another six months.

There you have it in 18 months with an initial investment of $50 and $0.25 per day you've become a decent magician. There are other card magic books people will recommend, however I have found CC to be very good for beginners. (I do have Royal Road and a couple of Harry's books and they are also very good, but still recommend CC vol 1&2 for beginners)

Good luck!

Hudson
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
And after, say, 50 years, buy a Harry Lorayne book!!!
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1353 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Books can seem boring compared to the flashy, graphic laden, magic video trailers that promise incredible miracles.

There is as absolute plethora of shinny new gadgets on the market each and every week. Who can keep up?
They are very tempting indeed, even for an old guy like me.

Crash1992, You have received some very good advice here.
I wish you all the best on your journey.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
Dea7h
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Dea7h
If you are tempted by a new release just wait for reviews and read what customers say about it.
The best thing would be to wait for a sale and get your hands on the release that interests you.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
C R A S H>> Hope you're still here! --also I hope I didn't sound too negative.

Note please, that I'm taking time to tell you the truth!!!

55Hudson also has some very worthwhile thoughts. He has a "plan"!!! It's well worth your considerationl

BTW HARRY LORRAYNE IS A D*** GOOD TEACHER. But, $$$ is tight. Go with Bobo first. The cheaper version ($15.00) is a Dover Publication that they "got" because Jay Marshall wasn't watching the copyright dates. The 2nd edition has added material, but for $35., --buy that one next year! The same thing happened with Abbott's "Encyclopedia of Rope Tricks" Recil or Greg wasn't watching copyright dates.

Personal taste: I lean more toward ROYAL ROAD TO CARD MAGIC (Jean Hugard)for beginners, but Giobbi's Card College is good, too.
BTW "Jean" was a man (Australian) who knew how to write! He was a professional performer. I know PROFESSIONALS who read RRCM and never bought another card book. The're doing just fine.

I don't always have the time to write what I put in that first post, but, trust me, I'm telling you 'WHAT'S WHAT'. I gain nothing by lying to you. What I wrote is not just an opinion, it's the 'real work'. Any successful pro. would tell you the same thing, I'm sure.

Andy Young wrote some good thoughts, too, BUT, forget about buying more "tricks" until you have some fundamental knowledge--and experience. BOOKS BOOKS BOOKS

Go back and read Bill Hegbli's comments AGAIN. BOOKS BOOKS BOOKS

PsychoHazard, also had some good points, BUT, quit spending $$$ on "tricks". BOOKS BOOKS BOOKS

If you have the strength (and the guts) go read what I wrote, again,also. Like Burling Hull (old magician, many years ago) I TELL YOU THE TRUTH. It may not be what you want to hear, but, it's the truth. (This aint my first day!!!!!

Copperfield had $$$ behind him. Harry Blackstone Senior,did not. He made it anyway! In vaudeville days, he and his brother, Pete, had a 'double act'. They needed props, but had little money. The story has been told before::: After a week in a hotel room, when they left for the next town, the dresser drawers had no bottoms, and only two boards held up the bed springs! Pete and Harry needed lumber to build props. Every week they had a fresh source. Years later, it required a railroad box car to move his show. (Old joke: Asked if he had worked on the Blackstone show, the young man replied: "Yes! Do you want to see my truss?"

YOU ONLY HAVE FIVE TRICKS THAT YOU FEEL CONFIDENT TO PERFORM??? The late, AMADEO VACCA, TRAVELLED AROUND THE WORLD (many times) WITH FIVE TRICKS! He didn't even carry props!

He could borrow what he needed in his hotel, or on the "cruise ship"!!! He was a successful pro. all his life.

I'm an old bachelor, so I perhaps shouldn't be the one to talk about this.

BUT, I will anyway. Perhaps she and thee need to have a little talk, about how magic can eventually help PAY YOUR WAY THRU SCHOOL. If she can't "handle" that, you do have a problem. I know what I would probably do. (Of course, maybe that's why I'm still a bachelor!!!)

You appear to be really interested, and you seem to want to learn and improve. I hope that our "motley crew" has been helpful.

Dick Oslund
Sneaky, underhanded, devious, and surreptitious itinerant mountebanc
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
What he said, plus 10

and, I will give you an even better deal, absolutely free, that will keep you busy for the rest of your life and it will only cost you the price of a deck of cards, and/ or stuff you can buy at the dollar store. Go over to Lybrary.com, sign up for a free account, and read, absolutely free, all of the following books that are out of copyright and now in public domain.

202 Methods of Forcing by Theo Annemann
A Half Hour of Magic by Sicnarf
A Real Magic Show by Lane
Al Baker Book No. 1 by Al Baker
Al Baker Book No. 2 by Al Baker
Annemann's Buried Treasure by Annemann
Annemann's Card Miracles
Annemann's Full Deck of Impromptu Card Tricks
Annemann's Mental Mysteries
Annemann's Miracles of Card Magic
Annemann's One Man Mental and Psychic Routine
Annual of Magic 1937 by Jean Hugard
Annual of Magic 1938-39 by Jean Hugard
Behind the Scenes with the Mediums by Abbott
Card Manipulations No. 1 by Jean Hugard
Card Manipulations No. 2 by Jean Hugard
Card Manipulations No. 3 by Jean Hugard
Card Manipulations No. 4 by Jean Hugard
Card Manipulations No. 5 by Jean Hugard
Casting New Light on the Stripper Deck by Jean Hugard
Chap's Scrapbook
Coin Magic by Jean Hugard
Conjuring with Cards by Ellis Stanyon
DeLawrence Manuscript by George DeLawrence
Drug Store Magic by Eli B. Johnson
Effective Tricks by Louis F. Christianer
Encyclopedia of Card Tricks by Gravatt/Hugard
Exclusive Problems in Magic by Edward Bagshawe
Fire and Chemical Magic - Second Series by Ellis Stanyon
Frank Lane's Book of Patter
Frank Lane Ideas No. 2
Frozen Alive by Valleau
G and M Magic Course by Grant and Menge
Golden Jubilee Book of Magic by Sphinx/Christopher
Great Handcuff Tricks by Ellis Stanyon
Great Paper and String Tricks - First Series by Ellis Stanyon
Half-a-Dozen Hummers by Bob Hummer
Hand-Book of Magic by Colonel Stodare
Handkerchief Manipulation Act by George Stillwell
Handkerchief Tricks for Boys by Alfred C. Gilbert
Here's How by Lane
Hermann the Magician by H. J. Burlingame
Indian Conjuring by L. H. Branson
Knots and Splices by Alfred C. Gilbert
Latter Day Tricks by Roterberg
Magazine Memorizing by Bernard Zufall
Magic or Conjuring for Amateurs by Ellis Stanyon
Magic for Magicians by Percy Abbott
Magic from A to Z by Arthur Leroy
Magic Handbook by Science and Mechanics
Magic of the Hands by Edward Victor
Magic of Tomorrow by Mole-Medrington-Hammond
Magical Deceptions by Crayford
Magical Notions by Louis F. Christianer
Magical Originalities by Noakes
Making Magic Pay by H. Syril Dusenbery
Mechanical and Electrical Tricks by W. T. McQuade
Mental File Index by Bernard Zufall
Mental Magic with Cards by Jean Hugard
Miracle Methods Number Two by Hugard and Braue
Miracle Methods Number Four by Hugard and Braue
Miracles in Modern Magic by Whiteley
Miscellaneous Tricks and Memory Feats by Ellis Stanyon
Modern Card Effects by DeLawrence/Thompson
Modern Coin Magic by Bobo
Modern Mysteries by G. C. Hines
Money Magic by Jean Hugard
More Card Manipulations 1 by Jean Hugard
More Card Manipulations 2 by Jean Hugard
More Card Manipulations 3 by Jean Hugard
More Card Manipulations 4 by Jean Hugard
More Magical Mysteries by Edward Bagshawe
Natural Magic by Phillip Astley
New Billiard Ball Sleights - First Series by Ellis Stanyon
New Card Tricks by Ellis Stanyon
New Card Tricks - Second Series by Ellis Stanyon
New Coin Tricks by Ellis Stanyon
New Coin Tricks - Second Series by Ellis Stanyon
New Fire and Chemical Tricks - First Series by Ellis Stanyon
New Handkerchief Tricks by Ellis Stanyon
New Miscellaneous Tricks - Second Series by Ellis Stanyon
"One Man" Mind Reading Secrets by Ralph W. Read
Original Explanatory Programmes by Ellis Stanyon
Our Magic by Maskelyne
Our Mysteries by Various
Over the Coffee Cups by Martin Gardner
Paper Magic by Houdini
Paper Magic by Will Blyth
Paul Rosini's Magical Gems by Rufus Steele
Practical Conjuring by James Carl
Practical Mental Effects by Annemann
Practical Mindreading by Atkinson
Prepared Cards and Accessories by Jean Hugard
Problems in Mystery by Max Sterling
Programmes of Famous Magicians by Max Holden
Radio and Nite-Club Mindreading by Larsen-McGill
Sealed Mysteries of Pocket Magic by Jean Hugard
Secrets by U.F. Grant
Si Stebbins Card Tricks by Si Stebbins
Some Modern Conjuring by Donald Holmes
Some New Magic by J. F. Burrows
Sports and Pastimes by F. M.
Spirit Slate Writing by William E. Robinson
Stage Illusions by Will Goldston
Stanyon's New Silent Thought Transmission by Ellis Stanyon
Ten New Pocket Tricks by Charles T. Jordan
The Conjurer's Vade Mecum by J. F. Orrin
The Discoverie of Witchcraft by Reginald Scot (Conjuring chapters only)
The Dramatic Art of Magic by Louis C. Haley
The Expert at the Card Table by Erdnase
The Expositor by Pinchbeck
The Fifty Best Conjuring Tricks by Charles T. Crayford
The Great Mysteries by Oudini
The Magician's Handbook by Selbit
The Novelty Act De-Luxe with Watches and Clocks by Heverly The Great
The Original Tricks of Clement de Lion by Ellis Stanyon
The Sharper Detected and Exposed by Robert-Houdin
The Shower of Sweets by Tom Osborne
They're Off! by Lane/Grant
Three Six Bits by Franklin M. Chapman
Three-to-One Rope Trick by Osborne
Tricks in Magic, Illusions and Mental Phenomena by J.H. Burlingame
Vaudeville Magic by David Lustig
Visible Magic by Verral Wass
Volume Six by Percy Naldrett
Weird Wonders for Wizards by Sidney E. Josolyne
Wrinkles by S. Willson Bailey - Harold A. Osborne
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
WOW! Spartacus, I had no idea! Headed over there now!

…what I WAS going to say…

Crash, buying Magic IS risky, sometimes even for the well-seasoned. By its very nature you don’t get to see what’s in the box. Probably everyone here has a drawer of stuff they’ve never used. It’s unfortunate maybe, but it is part of the learning curve.

You (dare I say your generation?) have it a little easier, because you can read online reviews before you purchase. When brick and mortar was all there was, we had to rely on the integrity of the seller to help us decide what was the right fit. (I have a 1973 “Dancing Ghost” from Abracadabra if anyone’s interested!) Smile

I’d seriously recommend buying a book. Usually I say Mark Wilson’s Encyclopedia of Magic. You may be ready for Henry Hay’s Amateur Magician’s Handbook. It does more than teach tricks; it gives performance ideas.

And if you’re still a one-shot trick-buyer, there are cheaper options.

Someone mentioned Jay Sankey. http://www.sankeymagic.com/ I’d put his site in my menu bar. He frequently offers short, FREE videos teaching how a particular effect works. He also has many in the $5 range that even a broke college boy can get if he skips just one trip to McDonald’s.

SpellBinder’s website http://www.magicnook.com/ offers DIY instructions for $5 each or a whole collection for a discounted price. (BTW, learning to build your own magic is one of the best ways to learn!)

And if that’s still too pricey, EMagicSupply http://www.emagicsupply.com/ has a page of $1 downloads.

I guess what I’m saying (in the nicest possible way) you have no excuse!
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
crash1992
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of crash1992
Thanks again everyone! I have been overwhelmed with PMs that have links to google docs. I love how everyone is so willing to help me out. I am in the process of copying and pasting all of the book titles for future references. You have my word, I WILL NEVER BUY A TRICK UNTIL I AM CONFIDENT THAT I CAN PERFECT IT. You can quote me on that!
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
Cheap is cheap!!!!
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Any suggestions? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL