We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Slydini Silks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
667 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Hey guys I wanted to know something about the Slydini Silk routine where you tie silks together and then a second later they are untied. Can you do the effect while standing? I ask because I was looking to get it, but I don't do much magic while sitting.

Thanks,

Andy
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1933 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
Yes, the Slydini Silk routine is a stand up routine.
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
667 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Thanks for the info. Everything I see on these have a person sitting.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5271 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Here is Slydini performing it as a stand-up routine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HbTQA_4btQ

You'll notice that it is part of a longer silk routine. Actually Charley Edwards performed the trick (self-unknotting handkerchiefs) on the street for a couple of decades before Slydini started using the idea.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
Thanks, Harry! I'd never seen that particular clip.
Gerald
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas
319 Posts

Profile of Gerald
Harry is right about Charlie Edwards. You can find his terrific, practical routine in "Routined Manipulation Finale" by Lewis Ganson. Great book!

Cheers,
Gerald
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
667 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
Harry thanks for that. I have never seen that video before.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8279 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Andy (_Young)>>>>Thanks for your well written PM of last week. We may not agree 100% on everything,but at least we can agree on somethings! And we can disagree without being disagreeable!!! Again, thank you for writing.

The so called Slydini Knots" were first described in Scot's 'Discovery of Witchcraft" (500 +/- years ago). Quintino Marucci (Slydini's legal name)made the "untying knots" a thing of beauty (and a "joy forever"!)

I learned the 'work' on July 4, 1941, in the Bud E. Anderson Circus Sideshow. I was 9 years old. The sideshow magician showed me how it was DONE, but, it required a couple years for me to develop the chutzpah, plus the necessary manual skill to DO it. --AND, it took a few more years of patient trial ane error to learn how to PERFORM it so that it ENTERTAINS AN AUDIENCE!

Every working performer, over the years, makes an effect his "own", by injecting his own personality into it. I hope that I have achieved that (at least to some extent). I seldom do a show without using it. It plays very successfully for Kindergarten kids thru College young adults--and senior citizens, too. It plays under every concievable situation. It answers most of "my" nine criteria.

Slydini was a tailor. When he was lecturing,on the road, he carried the cloth. He would go to a sewing machine store, rent a machine for an hour or so, and make up "stock". The "silks" that I've seen are "rip-stop nylon". He used plain white thread on one white "silk" and a contrasting colored thread on the other "silk" (to hem the edges). This makes it easier to see "which corner is which" when you trip the knot.

I've never had great eyesight, so I've always used "silks" (mine are polyester--magicians' silk will not hold up to the handling)of different, but compatible colors. The audience doesn't care!

If you are serious about pursuing this, I'll loan you my copy of Ganson's book with his explanation of the way that Charlie Edwards did it. (Charlie was a busker, of the "old school"! He must have had a sense of humor. Ganson tells about someone asking Charlie about "how much money can you make doing this?" Charlie replied, "I get what I'm worth!"

I've done a bit of work "under canvas" and "al fresco",over the years, and, I always got what I was worth!

PM me, and we can discuss the possibilities. (Note! the knots are not the sort of trick to "teach" to kids. -- like the professor's nightmare, the subtleties are far beyond the talent or understanding of a 9 year old or even some adults!) I think I made the point above that it took me -- as a 9 year old, but very determined, kid. a couple years to learn how to DO it. And, a few more to make it entertaining.

Yr's, 'til the the square circle is empty...
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1747 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I had the privilege of meeting Quintino Marucci (Slydini) during the Faucett Ross Magic fest in St. Joseph, Missouri......

To this day, that was the finest Magic Conference I have ever been to in my life because of the talent that was there and the intimate, non-hurried environment of being in St, Joseph, Missouri with all those incredibly talented magicians!

After one of Slydini's performances, my wife and I took him to lunch. While we were eating, he said "Show me a trick" so I took out a deck of bicycles, cut it and shuffled it a few times...and Slydini says..."Wait....do that again"....I say..."Do what?" He says.."do the cut again".....so I did it twice......Slydini says..."That's beautiful....thats' the best false cut I've ever seen.".....Needless to say, I was blown way by his comments, but more importantly, Slydini opened up to me about his life performing as a magician.....

Tony liked me, and during lunch, he GAVE me a set of his "Slydini Silks" and routine, and showed me "the work", up-close and personal, and said to me.. "You can do it onstage but I like it better sitting at a table".

What was truly amazing to me at the Faucett Ross Magic fest was watching all the other magicians watching Slydini perform.....you could hear a pin drop........and Vernon was GLUED to Slydini when he performed....he watched every little detail of all of Slydini's routines while he (Vernon) remained totally silent...VERY unlike the Professor, who was, to say the least, a VERY chatty fellow when he was amongst other magicians, but boy, he was DEAD QUIET when he watched Slydini.

My wife and I took Slydini to dinner at Denny's across the street from the Holiday Inn where the Magic fest was being held, and while Tony finished his torn and restored cigarette (my wife was totally blown away....and so were a few 'locals" to happened to be sitting nearby....Slydini confided in me that he really didn't like to work the Castle so much, because, he said, he tended to get snubbed by the "House Magicans" at The Castle because they felt that nobody wanted to pay any attention to them when Slydini was there........interesting but true...

Slydini told me that his favorite place to perform was on his friend Dick Cavett's Show.........

I now have a beautifully autographed copy of Slydini's two-Volume Tannen's book and some great memories......

Just like Slydini, I have always been "glued" to every word from my friend Dick Oslund's "Oslund-Isms".......per his post above, you will see that Dick consider "The Slydini Silks" as being a VIRTUALLY PERFECT TRICK....

There are VERY, VERY FEW PERFECT TRICKS IN MAGIC........when Dick Oslund says a trick is virtually perfect..........that speaks VOLUMES to me!

By the way, Dick.........thank you so much for sending me THE ORIGINAL INSTRUCTIONS To THE CHINESE STICKS!

Loved it!
Moonstone76
View Profile
Regular user
Italy
140 Posts

Profile of Moonstone76
Quote:
On 2013-03-05 17:54, Gerald wrote:
Harry is right about Charlie Edwards. You can find his terrific, practical routine in "Routined Manipulation Finale" by Lewis Ganson. Great book!

Cheers,
Gerald

Wow...that's true! Amazing routine! I think I will work on that and add to my act! Thanks for the hint!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Slydini Silks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL