The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Handcuff situation comedy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
It is a very old story.

On an episode of a situation comedy, either two people get handcuffed together and cannot find the key, or one person is handcuffed to something that won't move, or one person hands together. In all cases the key is not where it was meant to be, and it takes some effort to get the person/people free. While waiting to be freed, the person or people must deal with whatever they would be doing in life. Personally I think it takes a monumentally stupid person to lock handcuffs on themselves without knowing where the key is.

I first saw this on I Love Lucy, It happened to Lucille Ball again on the Lucy show, though she was chained to Vivian Vance instead of Ricky Ricardo. On Green Acres, Oliver and Lisa almost get run over by a train trying to break the chain. Three's Company had a handcuff episode and several others too. I am sure the list goes on.

As the editor of the Chainletter, I am always on the look out for escape in the media, and I came across an episode of Disney's Lizzie McGuire" Here Lizzie and her brother are handcuffed together during her brother's effort to do a magic trick. Naturally the trick fails, and they cannot find the key.

What makes this show different from all the others, is that the key is found almost immediately by mom, who quietly puts it in her pocket; choosing not to tell them. She feels it will teach them to stop fighting and arguing.

Mom might be right, but I think this is child abuse. Plus the fact the Disney, that preaches family values would do this bothers me a lot.

Any thoughts?
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1488 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Quote:
On 2013-03-05 18:51, Cliffg37 wrote:

Mom might be right, but I think this is child abuse. Plus the fact the Disney, that preaches family values would do this bothers me a lot.

Any thoughts?

I think this is child abuse, I wouldn't worry about Disney, they are a business and will do what they need to to make money. Some church leaders preach family values and don't live up to them and still the concregations gather. Same thing.
I bet you still watch Disney movies and go to church!!

As to funny? It's not funny. When people do stupid things it's not funny. It's just bring down the tone of human developement. Comedy is when there is a setup or story which leads you in a direction or belief and then suddenly switches to something completely unexpected.

In most sitcoms, I can see the so called 'joke' going to happen and then when it does, canned laughter is used to tell the audience, two things. One , that the funny thing happen and two, now you should laugh.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I only watch Disney movies when I have to for my daughter, and now that she is 13, we are trying to steer her toward more adult stuff. As to going to church, I only go to church for weddings, funerals, and occasiionally to support a freind. I do however attend temple regularly.

I agree with you about the comedy definition as well.
Magic is like Science,
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1488 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Quote:
On 2013-03-05 21:29, Cliffg37 wrote:
I only watch Disney movies when I have to for my daughter, and now that she is 13, we are trying to steer her toward more adult stuff. As to going to church, I only go to church for weddings, funerals, and occasiionally to support a freind. I do however attend temple regularly.

So, I have to ask what is the difference between church and temple????
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
To answer that, I may get the topic bounced for violating Café policies, so I will send you a pm.
Magic is like Science,
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1488 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
What, the pub!
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I take it back. One is Christian one is Jewish. That is the main difference.
Magic is like Science,
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1488 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Okay, that took the fun out of it..............

So what are disney's family values, either or both of the above in your reply? and to think of it, what are the "family values"?
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Handcuff situation Comedy,,,,thats a joke, all situations are a joke, even to post the truth on here will make your posts vanish so that's a joke as well. Still it proves something,,,,dosn`t it, hahaha.

Add to that, life is a joke (K Brooke 1966) So every situation even tragic can be turned into situation comedy. Its all how its viewed isn't it, or if your a Chubby Brown fan (I am) Its how its interpreted.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4467 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
"Piffl paff, puff" as the great suprendo used to say to make things vanish........ All kinds of stuff, silks, alls sausages you name it he "piff paff puffed" them away .... And sometimes back again!

Wonder why it was deleted?

Shall we set up another Café and call it "your 1st ammendment Café" where you can have freedom of speech and you won't be censored based on someone's say so and who you know.

Of course it any have been moved, but it would be nice to know why it's gone or where. Best kiss all threads goodbye ..... Not that there is a. Lot of good stuff in a lot f them, but there are some nuggets!
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3612 Posts

Profile of Kondini
History has shown that the truth often hurts. bet your post goes Poofy (Think about it!!) As well. A real shame as it gives wrong info to those who come on here looking for help. You can imagine now how so many end up believing that BS baffles brains.

Ken
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Anyone care to address the topic I put up? So far only the first six words of Ian's first post actually do.
Magic is like Science,
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4467 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Ah we'll the children I assume were under the age of consent, so if their patents said it was ok and the children were paid (assuming they were) and the money passed to them, then nope not child abuse. Now if the parents said no, or the child refused but was forced into the situation, or the money (wages for acting) were withheld then it would be child abuse.

Or are you saying if this happened in real life?

Well my kids play with handcuffs lots and yes I have hidden the key once or twice! But only to teach them always have more than 1 out!
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1488 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Quote:
On 2013-03-05 22:12, Ian McColl wrote:
So what are disney's family values, either or both of the above in your reply? and to think of it, what are the "family values"?

If you are asking to get back to the topic, you might want to answer my post also, Cliff.
PS which were the six words?

Isn't this a subject that you WOULDN"T want to put in a E-newsletter, mainly because it is so trival?

Ian
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Ian's six words...

>> I think this is child abuse

Not only is it trivial, there is also no "escape" involved. The newsletter is for escape material. Trust me, for every piece I find for the Chainletter I find at least 8 or 9 that are useless to me.
Magic is like Science,
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Quote:
On 2013-03-05 21:29, Cliffg37 wrote:

I bet you watch more produced Disney movies than you think! They produce lots of action pack - thrillers under other companies they own! Smile
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4467 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Cliff ..... If its not escape related enough for chains, how come its relevant to the escape section here? Not criticising, I just wonder what the distinction is in you eyes? Is it the inclusion of handcuffs enough to make it relevant here but not in CHAINS (still not available on iPad btw).
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1488 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi Cliff, In your first post, the kids seem to lock themselves in cuffs, the mother hasn’t locked them up.
Because the mother doesn't unlock them straight away, it is not abuse.If she left them for hours, it would be.
I am still wondering what are these 'family values' you speak of and how your differ or same as a movie company? I am confused. I just saw a TV show, “world's wildest police videos.” One segment filmed from a squad car dash camera, showed a drug crazed person trying to break down a door of a day care centre. The footage was poor quality, but we can see he smashes the door violently. A police women tazers him and violently falls to the ground wiggling in pain. He pulls out the harpoons and attacks her. Punching and beating her. He then abuses two other women, one of which is holding a child. He is violent toward them and only when another cop turns up is this guy subdued.
As for family values, this is nasty. But what appears to make it all right, is that even though the guy is naked and even with fussy video footage. Someone thought that is might be off putting to see someone’s bare bottom, so they digitised it out. How funny is that!!!!!!!!!
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
In the US, 'family values' is a conservative buzz word trotted out for the purpose of obfuscation, usually while waving (or wearing) a flag.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1488 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi Steve, good to have a level headed view here. That's the kind of spin I had on it too. Just wanted to hear it from direct from the source.
At least Miley will be a bit happier.
http://www.ranker.com/list/2010_s-top-10......omeballa

It's odd that with all the chest beating over these "value' thingies. I have only ever been ripped off by those who proclaim the highest standards and turn out to have NONE.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Handcuff situation comedy (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.33 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL