The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Apples or Oranges? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
usa
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of usa
Ok, cant believe noone posted this question before, You see it all the time in posts like "whats better this trick or that" etc.
Now I want to know what is better: Apples or Oranges?
And which one should I get?
Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
Oranges, although here's a list of pros and cons for reference:

Apples
======

Pros
----
1. Once you have an apple you can bite straight into it without any fuss.
2. Apple pie is easy to make (apple crumble - even better)
3. We understand what gravity is because of apples

Cons
----
1. They hurt if you're hit in the head by one
2. Wasps get to mine (on my trees) before I do
3. The big ones look ugly

Oranges
=======

Pros
----
1. They are very easy to juice.
2. The word orange is also an adjective
3. Being brighter coloured than apples, oranges are easier to find
4. Oranges are easier to share (ahhh!) as you can distribute the segments

Cons
----
1. You have to peel an orange before you can eat it
2. If not approached with caution, you can get a good squirt in the eye if you're not careful
3. The result is messier if you sit on an orange compared to if you sit on an apple.

So it's a close call, but I think I prefer oranges.

At the end of the day, the choice is up to you. Why not visit someone who can advise you directly over the choice. I'd also recommend buying some books on the subject (I wouldn't recommend DVDs or videos - you'll end up simply buying from the same stall as on the video and will probably develop the same chewing mannerisms).

Beetroot
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Now that has got to be the funniest thing I've read on here in a long time. Thanks for starting my day with that Beetroot.Smile

Mark
What would Wavy do?
usa
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of usa
Beetroot,
I'd like you to know I've been up since 4am drinking coffee but just now my eyes opened wide only after reading your post. Thanks.
As far as sharing goes my dog loves the core of an apple(I do too!), don't know about oranges yet...
You are right about the squirt factor of oranges. Also, they don't rhyme very well with anything but I still think they rhyme with french... and strange, and other words like that.
If I had to pick one I would have to go with Apples, over all a better eating experience in my opinion.

ps. what do you mean by "the big ones look ugly"?
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Watermelon! Forget apples & oranges, Watermelon is the king of fruit. Smile
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
usa
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of usa
Quote:
On 2003-11-20 07:55, irossall wrote:
Watermelon! Forget apples & oranges, Watermelon is the king of fruit. Smile
Iven Smile

Wow, first of all watermelons are SEASONAL!
They are ok IMHO but not, NOT available all the time!
How does that make them "the king of fruit"?
Also, does anybody wash their oranges before eating, or is there no point to it, since you will peel the thing anyway?
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
Believe it or not…

Apples are more efficient than caffeine at waking you up in the morning.

Almonds are a member of the peach family.

I say, skip the apples and oranges and eat a REAL fruit… Mangos!

Funny post Beetroot.
Smile
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Hey I'm with you on the mangoes Kihei Kid. I lived in India before where there's lots of mangos, and now in Taiwan they have some very nice mangos. One other fruit that is billed the "King Of Fruit" is the Durian. Smells like **** but tastes like the elixir of the Gods. I love them.
JoJo
Magic guy in Perth Australia
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
In answer to usa, apples and oranges are seasonal. Here in washington state I can buy apples, oranges and watermelons 365 days a year. The United States of America buys fruit and vegetables from all over the planet and we also warehouse the stuff as well.
I stand by my personal statement. Watermelon is king.
Iven Smile
Lo-Key
View Profile
Loyal user
Earth
225 Posts

Profile of Lo-Key
Depends on ones age I go with prunes..
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Great Lo-Key, Watermelons and Prunes works for me.
Smile
Iven Smile
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi,
Great advice given so far but I disagree:

Banana's are definately the King of Fruit!

To prove my point, you've never heard of a top CEO of a company being referred to a Top Apple or Top Orange. Nope ...it's Top Banana.

Many well knowns in the industry have sung the praises of this glorious fruit. Look at the Chiquita "Banana" Lady, for example. One just has to wear that hat..loaded with fruit and yet they still identify her with banana's.

On my useless trivia post, I stated the most published sheet music was "Yes, we have no banana's." It didn't even mention apples or oranges.

Oh sure, you can make apple crumble or apple pie but with Banana's you can make either cake , pie or even pudding!!!! Babies right up to old folks can enjoy this fruit with ease..ha! try that with an apple or orange. Nope Banana's are the food of the gods.

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile >>note not one apple or orange on the smilie thingies.. : Smile

My advice to you USA is go with banana's and forget the apples and oranges, you'll get more mileage from your money with a banana.
All you need to further purchase is a bandana and you'll be able to entertain audiences for months. Practise, Practise and don't slip up and I'm sure you'll do fine.
Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
Quote:
On 2003-11-20 07:33, usa wrote:
ps. what do you mean by "the big ones look ugly"?

The big cooking apples always look a bit shifty - kind of bulbous and gnarled. The fact that you have to bake or boil them into submission before eating them only serves to reinforce my reservations. Maybe I should look after my apple trees better.

I'm not fussed about watermelon - and don't even get me started on beetroot Smile (not a fruit - I just feel very strongly about it)

Cheers,

Beetroot
zeroG
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of zeroG
Why eat fruit when you can have

potato chips or pretzles?
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Mango, Mango, Mango.

Sorry but I grew up on them as my family is a major importer of the delectable fruit. I eat them any which way. Heck I even knew how to serve up a mean fried mango dish.

Within my favorite fruit salads, I'll add the apples and oranges but mango is the main ingredient.
Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
Quote:
On 2003-11-20 11:04, Chrystal wrote:
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile >>note not one apple or orange on the smilie thingies.. : Smile

I think this is symptomatic of today's society. The banana has got an agent and marketed himself to boost his image (but not necessarily his substance).

Sure the dancing banana draws the eye, but what about his integrity? The apple and the orange are perhaps content with their lot. The banana may also provide a comical interlude with its renounded slapstick skin-slipping technique, but at the end of the day it always gives me indigestion.

Be warned! And remember "An apple a day keeps the doctor away" (useful stuff unless you break a leg and really want the doctor - then it's a question of dragging yourself around the house on you hands, throwing all your apples out the window). Hmmm - another downside to apples. Perhaps apples are to doctors what garlic is to vampires?

I've said enough.

Beetroot
zeroG
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of zeroG
Hey Beetroot,

T.P. - over or under?
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
Hey, a mango is way better than an apple or an orange. Smile
Ellen Kotzin
View Profile
Loyal user
UPSTATE, NY
280 Posts

Profile of Ellen Kotzin
Apples--
except the seeds have traces of arsenic or something in them!

Ellen
DougTait
View Profile
Elite user
Sebring, FL
492 Posts

Profile of DougTait
Smile I'm with Chrystal on this...Bananas Rule! Very classy fruit, sociable...grow in bunches, not like solitary apples and oranges...and the only fruit I know of that has its own personal magic routine under the guise of a bandana. Smile
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men [and women] to do nothing."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Apples or Oranges? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL