The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Best DVD for card tricks? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
kenllh
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of kenllh
Does anyone can give some advice on good DVD on card tricks? which are the best dvd for it.. Smile
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
The whole ETMCM set
~joeKing
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Daryl's Card Revelations vol 1 - 5, from L&L
No difficult sleights is needed.

Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
Michael Ammar's ETMCM.
placebo
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of placebo
Another vote for ETMCM. I have the 2nd one, and it's fantastic.
wisdomIII
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of wisdomIII
Bill Malone's On the Loose series are the Best! ETMCM are also great but a little boring but the content is definetly there.
thehawk
View Profile
Inner circle
2275 Posts

Profile of thehawk
More in ETMCM than Malones On The Loose. I have both and they are both good but Malone's is a little more advanced.
kihei kid
View Profile
Inner circle
Dog House
1039 Posts

Profile of kihei kid
ETMCM, by Michael Ammar. and I suggest... a1 and a2 and a3. That was a little Lawerence Welk their for you all... Smile
In loving memory of Hughie Thomasson 1952-2007.

You brought something beautiful to this world, you touched my heart, my soul and my life. You will be greatly missed.

Until we meet again “my old friend”.
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
ETMCM, no one else comes close, unless that's Bill Malone, but he has some stuff other than cards on his tapes.
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
Another vote for ETMCM by Ammar.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
As to kenllh's original question, the above posts are almost unanimous. Go with Michael Ammar's ETMCM series or Daryl's Card Revelations vol 1 - 5 series.

Kenllh, if you are asking for some advanced card DVDs that are one or two DVDs in length, please let us know. Otherwise, the Ammar and the Daryl series are great.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
NeptuneTQ
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of NeptuneTQ
I say ETMCM also if you're just starting out, bill Malones if you already got etmcm Smile
digitaltrip
View Profile
Elite user
452 Posts

Profile of digitaltrip
Definitely Ammar ETMCM 1-6, and Malone's "On The Loose" 1-4 for starters. You'll learn some great card tricks on these tapes.

digitaltrip
maurile
View Profile
Regular user
San Diego
102 Posts

Profile of maurile
ETMCM and Bill Malone are great suggestions. There's also a lot of great card stuff spread throughout Jay Sankey's tapes (Sankeytized I and II being my favorites).
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I would go with Daryl's card dvds.
ollason
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of ollason
Has to be ETMCM especially Vol 2
phantomace
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of phantomace
Michael Ammars easy to master is great! But everything will depend on your skill level. ETMCM is great as well.
loowhochan
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
116 Posts

Profile of loowhochan
Quote:
On 2003-11-23 03:02, financedragon wrote:
I know the question was about DVD's, but I have to say that I think studying a book, much in the same manner as you would a textbook, is much better for developing your skills.

I agree that books have more bang for the money, and may be better for developing magic skills for most people. But I have to say that some people just do not learn well by reading books. There are people who needs to watch it being done on video or live to learn. Especially for beginners, reading instructions on paper may be hard to understand when they don't see how certain basic moves are done in the first place. I'm also thinking of people who may have problems reading.

Learning from books or DVDs, which is better, really depends on the person's learning style or preference.

This thread is asking about best card trick DVD. For now, I am thoroughly enjoying Brainstorm. I don't know if it is the best out there, since I haven't seen all of the DVDs out in the market that teaches Card Tricks. Smile I also like Darry's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights (but I know it is more sleights and not tricks), because it is a good reference for sleights that I may not understand by reading how to do it in a book. I use that in conjunction with the books I own. And I do own RRTCM.
Sybilmagic
View Profile
Loyal user
England
275 Posts

Profile of Sybilmagic
Quote:
On 2003-11-23 03:02, financedragon wrote:
I know the question was about DVD's, but I have to say that I think studying a book, much in the same manner as you would a textbook, is much better for developing your skills.

I disagree I feel Videos/DVD are where you can learn 'skills' that are not always easy to pick up form the written word, whereas 'Knowledge'is what you will gain from reading a book.

Please do not let this go into a Book vs DVD debate but I just found the above statement quite snobbish in it's approach. When learning we should use any avaliable resource based on it's advantages and disadvantages. When writing reports for university I do not just read books, I use the internet, lecturers knowledge, my knowledge and articles.

Why should reading explanations in a book make you a better magician?Some may argue that it helps you put your own spin on effects, well I think any magician that has to directly copy a routine is in the wrong business anyway. BTW this is the only strong arguement I have ever read on this issue.
Why not get snobbish about DVD's and say that you cannot learn the timing of effects or angles of sleights the pace and see what type of reactions these effects get? I will tell you why we do not hear this type of statement it is because for some reason books are seen as the real magicians tool, the places where all the other magicians do not look. Hmm what about the spectators!!

Sorry if this post is harsh but there is no need to make this kind of statement based on the question asked. Do you know the original poster? Are you suggesting that they do not already read magic books?

Why should everyone learn in the same way as you? Is it because you feel everyone should have to tread the same 'difficult' path as yourself?

Most people do use both books and dvd's and by your post you make it sound like dvd's are off limits, A very shot sighted answer to a very relevant question!
David Le
View Profile
Veteran user
USA
365 Posts

Profile of David Le
Quote:
I know the question was about DVD's, but I have to say that I think studying a book, much in the same manner as you would a textbook, is much better for developing your skills

and why is that so financedragon? Smile
is the "copying of the patter straight off the vid" one of the reasons?

Oh, don't worry. I don't own any videos or dvds by the way Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Best DVD for card tricks? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL