The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Robero Giobbi's Art of Switching Decks (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
HERMETIC PRESS NEWS Order from us by midnight, April 21, 2013, and pay only $47!

The strongest card tricks most often depend on a stack or special deck. Unfortunately, if you start with a gaffed deck, as soon as you have accomplished the impossible feat, its very strength causes audiences to say, “Let me see those cards!“ With a deck switch, they can, because you just switched the gaffed deck for a normal one, which they can even take home! A deck switch can also allow you to start with an ordinary deck, convince everyone it's you and not the cards causing the magic—then you switch in your gaffed or stacked deck and unleash a stunning effect. Deck switches can create extraordinary, incomprehensible effects—as long as the switch isn't detected or suspected.

And there lies the challenge. Everyone knows about switching decks. We've all heard that card cheats do it, and magicians. In reality, though, very few magicians switch decks, because it is commonly perceived as too difficult to get away with. And since everyone knows about switching decks, even a suspicion that a deck switch might have occurred can completely undermine a performance. Therefore, if you use any deck switch, it must be not only imperceptible, but also unimaginable.

Roberto Giobbi teaches you precisely how to do this—standing, seated, with and without a jacket—using shrewd psychology, not knuckle-busting sleights or special gimmicks or apparatus. The only things required to do these professional switches are decks of cards and your pockets. Giobbi teaches dozens of methods for imperceptibly switching decks, along with the psychological principles behind them; principles that allow the reader to apply and modify deck switching techniques to suit any circumstance.

And along the way, Giobbi explains some very strong card magic.

As is expected from Roberto Giobbi, the techniques and tricks in this book are not pipe dreams. They come from his professional repertoire, sharpened by hundreds of performances and explained with all the detail only a world-class teacher can bring to a subject.

There is no other book devoted to this important topic—and it holds information that will be of tremendous value to beginning and advanced card magicians alike. The Art of Switching Decks is an in-depth study teaching over 30 deck switches and a few remarkable tricks—163 pages in hardcover.

ALSO INCLUDED
a DVD offering an eighty-five-minute show and lecture by
Roberto Giobbi,
showing exactly how various deck switches are achieved
in a live performance.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1794 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I've been using deck switches for years, simply by putting the deck away because a full deck is not needed and coming out again when it was with the switched-in deck. The publication of this work by Giobbi is very exciting, not only for the subject matter, but also because of who it is by. Can't wait.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5377 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
With all due respect, ads about upcoming releases should be posted in the Latest/Greatest thread, not here, in the review thread.

For example:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=218&0
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2529 Posts

Profile of brehaut
Excited about this---the deck switch allows one to do so much more
Sebastian Oudot
View Profile
Regular user
Somewhere Between Two Worlds
185 Posts

Profile of Sebastian Oudot
It looks very promising.

And it will be doubly interesting. First because Roberto Giobbi is a wonderful teacher.

And second because, as you said Peo, "There is no other book devoted to this important topic".
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
527 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
Just got mine today and read the first few chapters. Beautifully written, and comes with a DVD of his lecture at the Genii Bash.
maurermagic
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of maurermagic
Got my book today and love it.
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Orded my copy today.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
I have to wait a few weeks for this but I know it will be worth it. To those who have it, are there some good switches for when you are wearing jeans and a tee shirt? I do one or two but I am always looking for others. There ARE times when I am on set breaks at music gigs and people find out I'm a magician so I will do one or two things in the crowd as I am mixing with people and in the summer months when I am playing shows, it's usually just a tee shirt and jeans.
BarryFernelius
View Profile
Inner circle
Still learning, even though I've made
2532 Posts

Profile of BarryFernelius
To whet your appetite, I counted 14 switches that can be done WITHOUT a jacket and standing. Heck, there are 4 switches that can be done standing, with no jacket and NO POCKETS.
"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan and not quite enough time."

-Leonard Bernstein
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4892 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Can you do the switches with people from all angles? Or do they need to be in front of the Magician?
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3794 Posts

Profile of JanForster
Part, part - you'll find a bit of all you need Smile. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4892 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Theo
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Theo
Hi,

Before I go out and spend $55+ on the book could you tell me if it covers being able to switch out a shuffled and then reboxed deck from the table standing? I am looking to do the switch h smoothly and I haven't yet found the right method. Thanks. Theo
robvh
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
445 Posts

Profile of robvh
Quote:
On Sep 30, 2016, Theo wrote:
Before I go out and spend $55+ on the book could you tell me if it covers being able to switch out a shuffled and then reboxed deck from the table standing? I am looking to do the switch h smoothly and I haven't yet found the right method. Thanks. Theo

Many of the deck switches are designed to be done from a standing position. At least two ("The Joker Deck Switch" and "The Casing the Deck Switch") are executed under the guise of casing the deck. Those may be of particular interest to you. If your preference is to have them case the shuffled deck before returning it to you, there's no shortage of options for that scenario either. You're certain to find something that suits your needs in this comprehensive volume. You even get a 1.5 hour DVD demonstrating various switches in a live performance.
Theo
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Theo
Many thanks. I just bought the book and it looks good.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Robero Giobbi's Art of Switching Decks (1 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL