The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Changing a bit to fit a different audience (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8687 Posts

Profile of harris
Knowing your audience is important in magic, ventriloquism and comedy.

Here is a bit as it originally was heard.

As a counselor who has worked with addicts for 23 years. I worked with families that have streets named in their honor, as well as families that lived on the street. PCP is a powerful drug, some call it wet, some sherm.

Here's an imitation on someone on PCP. At that point I do a body freeze and stare at the audience. After a few seconds the audience starts to get it and the laughter spreads.

It is a joke that has limited appeal.

Friday, I was doing a ventriloquist bit, on a series of imitations.

In the middle of Nigel's (vent figure) imitations, he started starring off into space.

I asked him what he was doing...after doing a double take of course...

He said he was imitating his cat staring at a wall!

It was a true adlib. based on the above bit and my own cat named Hannah..and it worked.

Another bit was created after noticing Hannah likes to crawl into a warm open clothes dryer.

This is done with a metal trash can (or other facimile that could give me a great noise) as I say and NOW A CAT IN A DRYER.

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOW MEEEEEEEEEEEEEWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH...hit can...........meow....hit can meoooooooooooooooooooooW hit can...

My wife hates that joke, but middle school kids love it.

Yes Knowing your audience is priceless.....

Comedy has it's risk and rewards....
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
I have a joke in my show about college mascots that changes based on what part of the country I'm in and what type of school it is. What's funny is that it changes so much so, that if I do the wrong punchline for the wrong location, it really could be taken as offensive. And it's not an offensive joke in the least.

In addition to changing jokes, I also sometimes have to change my rhythm and delivery slightly based on where I am geographically. I can get away with a faster pace on the East Coast, for example, more than I can in the South. That's not meant to be a derogatory statement. It's just the truth.

Likewise, I've found that my material has to be punchier and louder for corporates than it does for colleges. Colleges allow me to be more subtle. And of course corporates don't laugh at jokes about Instagram and Tumblr.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8687 Posts

Profile of harris
I am glad that you have included the pace of a show in your reply.

That is very wise. Thanks for sharing.

Harris aka dr. laugh 4u
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8687 Posts

Profile of harris
Choices of volunteers at different venues is always interesting.

For a volunteer becomes the puppet bit, I have used

1. Church secretary who was on the quiet or stern side.(with wonderful
animated results...as puppets are the ultimate mask)
2. person picked by the booker
3. person picked by me, because of their reactions earlier in the show
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8687 Posts

Profile of harris
I had a blast doing yesterday, sharing a 3 hour program for the
Missouri Addiction Counselors Association's Spring Conference.

The "audience" was made up of folks from D.O.C. (department of corrections) physicians, clinicians and supervisors.

My talk (it was mostly talk) was titled, Dr. Laugh, working with ordinary people with extra ordinary problems.

It was held in the Ozarks. I opened with some harp(harmonica) and closed with my straight jacket.
For the latter, I made references to codependency, birth order, and sexual addiction.
On the surface, not necessarily funny topics, but were at the top of the laugh moments.

"Why do we laugh, change the name and the story is told of us." (sounds more clinical, when you say it in latin.

Harris
still 2 old to know it all.
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8687 Posts

Profile of harris
The mail brought me a packet of feedback cards from the clinicians and doctors that attended.

I was a bit fearful of doing a 3 hour workshop. Many of the comments included, they would like to see me do an all day event. (ARRRRRRRRRRGh)

The one that made me smile the most, read...Great content.....even more pithy than the "serious" oriented workshops.

I had to ask my wife what the definition of pithy. Then I looked up pithy on line.
Among the synonyms were: succinct, terse, cogent, meaty, pointed, forcible, trenchant, weighty, substantial.

Harris
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Changing a bit to fit a different audience (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL