We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » B'Wave Presentation (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5410 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
Quote:
On 2003-11-21 13:03, Pete Biro wrote:
When I first saw it done, Maven himself, it fried me big time... what he presented, and how he presented it and marketed it is good enough for me.

I agree. The tree structure that Maven provides in his marketed version is very logical and has no apparent flaws.

The other ones I like are the one by Michael and the one by Greg because they both add an element to the whole thing.
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
SharkTrager
View Profile
New user
North London
9 Posts

Profile of SharkTrager
B'Wave is undoubtedly a great effect whether magic or mental but I do have one problem with it.

Ultimately you will end up with either Queen of Hearts or Diamonds. Most people already know that one of the most popular cards is the Queen of Hearts so when you end the effect with this card it can appear to the spec that perhaps the whole thing was just a lucky guess - based on the fact that you just chose the most popular card. I would like to see this effect sold not as Queens but as Twos or Nines. That, in my mind would make it a truly fantastic effect.

What do you guys think?
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
You could do it with the black queens from the twisted sisters set
Bong780
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
172 Posts

Profile of Bong780
Do a similar mental presentation with the twisted sister (with 2 spectators of course), there's no way they'll accuse you on the lucky guess.
Dave Le Fevre
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1651 Posts

Profile of Dave Le Fevre
Quote:
On 2003-11-28 14:42, SharkTrager wrote:
Ultimately you will end up with either Queen of Hearts or Diamonds. Most people already know that one of the most popular cards is the Queen of Hearts so when you end the effect with this card it can appear to the spec that perhaps the whole thing was just a lucky guess - based on the fact that you just chose the most popular card.

That's why
A - I sometimes use a Twisted Brothers set to perform B'wave
and
B - I started doing the magic effect version instead of the mentalism version.

If the card magically turns over, you never get the "Lucky guess" comment.

And before you ask, the Twisted Brothers set was available from Fournier, but I gather that it's no longer available.

Dave
The Ozzy Osbourne of the 34x27
Vilago
View Profile
Loyal user
230 Posts

Profile of Vilago
If you can, grab a copy of Genii from Jan 2000...it's got a great write-up of Just Alan's routine. Very simple and elegant.
Eight Spades
View Profile
Elite user
Ohio (northwest)
482 Posts

Profile of Eight Spades
Dpe666,
I really like your presentation. Mine is very similar in the fact that I ask which two queens I remove from the pack of four. Something I added that seems to help is if the say I remove the two force queens, I say

"That's a little strange. I don't know what it is about those queens, I just don't like them as much, so I almost always remove them. It's almost as if you sensed that..."

It sort of plays on the ambiguity of their decision, and some people really react to this (if they're the open-minded type). It also gives a solid reason for removing those cards. My main annoyance with equivoque has always been when someone says "name one...ok so that leaves this..."

It's a red flag for double talk. Or at least it seems that way to me.

Great thoughts everyone, way to disect an amazing effect!

-Christian
"Tricks are only the crude residue from which the lifeblood of magic has been drained." -S.H. Sharpe
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Quote:
On 2003-11-28 17:34, Dave Le Fevre wrote:

That's why
A - I sometimes use a Twisted Brothers set to perform B'wave
and
B - I started doing the magic effect version instead of the mentalism version.

If the card magically turns over, you never get the "Lucky guess" comment.

And before you ask, the Twisted Brothers set was available from Fournier, but I gather that it's no longer available.

Dave

The twisted brothers is available in the Fako deck along with twisted sisters, and a slight variation of Skinner's Ultimate 3 card Monte.

I personally use the effect as packaged. I will, in a strolling environment, swap a black set in to totally baffle those that might have seen it from a different table earlier.
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Dave Le Fevre
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1651 Posts

Profile of Dave Le Fevre
Quote:
On 2004-08-12 11:33, Rob Eubank wrote:
Quote:
On 2003-11-28 17:34, Dave Le Fevre wrote:

The twisted brothers is available in the Fako deck along with twisted sisters, and a slight variation of Skinner's Ultimate 3 card Monte.

Thanks Rob!

Dave
The Ozzy Osbourne of the 34x27
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5020 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
Use a himber wallet and put two sets of B´wave cards (red and black) in each pocket in the wallet and you have outs for any card named. that's my approach.
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3207 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Such great ideas. Thanks everyone.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8884 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Nice suggestions in this string, and I especially like the suggestion of the Himber Wallet, which allows you to produce any Queen you want in front of any audience, even one that just saw you do the trick...That's the way I present it too.

Anyway, here's my 2cents on a little something different in the ending... Smile

-As you show the back of the Queen to be different and it's returned to the fanned pack, once you turn over the fan pack to show that the Queen is the only card you had there with the 3 blanks...I like to, as the fan is turned back down, take the top card in my right hand to show it blank again and throw it down on the table, then the bottom card, then the next top card, and lastly the Queen (which your 2 fingers grab by the lower left end to cover the gaff...Snap it with the other hand to show the absolute last of only 4 cards used and throw it face down on the pack on the table. It's a nice way to end this great trick. Smile -Marion

Setting the record straight...

Straight from the horses mouth; "B'wave" is a contraction of the word "Brainwave." Likewise B'wave is a contraction of the effect as in the Brainwave Deck. In other words, a packet trick version of the Brainwave Deck.

*I would also tend to think that Twisted Sisters is a take off of, a twist if you will off, of B'wave. Sorta wondering how Max Maven didn't think of this as an enhanced version of his great trick before Bannon figured it out...Hey, but even Max can't think of everything... Smile

Anyway, just so you know... Smile -MB
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
Hmmm - interesting - I can almost buy that.
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3207 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
MB is coreect. The instructions for Twisted Sisters credits Bwave as its evolutionary predecessor.

Does anyone else think that using blank face cards gets the spectator thinking in a direction that isn't helpful for the effect?

I prefer using jokers or any other combination of normal (except for court) cards.

Elliott
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2004-12-18 22:43, ElliottB wrote:

Does anyone else think that using blank face cards gets the spectator thinking in a direction that isn't helpful for the effect?

I prefer using jokers or any other combination of normal (except for court) cards.

Elliott

I do not like to toot my own horn. However, B'Wave is the effect that I have performed and continue to perform more often than any other effect. It is a main stay in my close-up work as well as my stage show (Giant B'Wave). I carry it everywhere I go (yes, in a little black plastic wallet), and have performed it in every possible way (as far as the 'other' 3 cards are concerned anyway). I have also gotten more praise for my presentation (which can be found on page 1 of this very thread) than I have for almost any other effect I have either constructed or given a presentation to. Therefore, I feel I can speak with some authority as to the performance aspects of B'Wave.

I prefer the blank cards as opposed to Jokers or a collection of indifferent cards. My reasons are that the image of the card they named and ONLY the card they named in the fan is much stronger, theatrically, than when there are other images cluttering up the scene. Also, with "other cards" in the "image" the spectator's brain needs to work a bit harder to see their selection.

Also, as with other effects that "expose" a specially printed (or unprinted as the case may be) card such as Anniversary Waltz, we have to remember that laymen do not think like a magician. They don't link the "gaffs" to other effects. No one upon seeing a blank card (which really is not a gaff in and of itself) or a DF card trace it back to an effect they saw previously, nor do they consider it when they see one employed in a future effect. It is a sort of reverse psychology. "A magician does not reveal a secret, so this special card must not be a secret."

Avoid the use of Himber wallets to avoid the use of Equivoque. As tempting as that may be (for magicians at least), the beauty of B'Wave is in its simplicity, and that the cards are in full view from the very start. A wallet clutters up the effect, and begs the question, "Are those the only cards you have in that wallet?" Smile
Dan LeFay
View Profile
Inner circle
Holland
1371 Posts

Profile of Dan LeFay
David, reading your presentation some time ago has made me put the effect back in my wallet! Shanks for sharing!
"Things need not have happened to be true.
Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths,
that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes,
and forgot."
Neil Gaiman
JChristensen
View Profile
New user
St. Louis, MO
71 Posts

Profile of JChristensen
In the B-Wave directions, Max Maven credits several early versions. In 1978, Karl Fulves published a small pamphlet entitled "Four-Card Brainwave." The effect explored was described as follows: "The trick known as 4-card Brainwave is one where a spectator thinks of an Ace and the performer now shows that the Ace is the only reversed card in a packet containing the four aces. The performer then reveals that the thought Ace has a different color back from the other Aces."

The fifth method given is attributed to S. Leo Horowitz and employed two double- indexed cards and two red/blue double backers. In an extra effect, Brainstorm, Fulves raised the possibility of the face-down cards having different faces. Max Maven streamlined the effect with his B-Wave.
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3207 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Interesting points David. You’re effectively buying a much bigger impact for a small risk of exposing the method. On the other hand, I used your patter on some friends last weekend and they were floored. Clearly you know what you’re talking about, so I’ll have to give those blank cards a chance.

Thanks,

Elliott
Cameron Roat
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
726 Posts

Profile of Cameron Roat
Detroit magician Ron Aldrich has an excellent presentation for "B'Wave" that eliminates the equivocal choice. It was published in John Luka's fantastic book L.I.N.T. (1997).

Cameron
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5020 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
[quote]On 2004-12-19 00:36, dpe666 wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-12-18 22:43, ElliottB wrote:

...Avoid the use of Himber wallets to avoid the use of Equivoque. As tempting as that may be (for magicians at least), the beauty of B'Wave is in its simplicity, and that the cards are in full view from the very start. A wallet clutters up the effect, and begs the question, "Are those the only cards you have in that wallet?"

I use a small himber wallet: The O'Connell Mini Himber from Jerry: http://www.leatherjerry.com/wallets.html
and it works like a dream every time. I have a rubber band around the himber wallet and give the wallet to the spectator before the effect. I have colored the rubber band with some dots on one side for a helping aid. When I need the cards at the end of the effect I let the spectator slide the bands off the wallet and I slowly open the correct side and slowly pull the cards out. Just think of the impact Smile Because of the freely handling of the wallet it adds a very innocent look of the presentation when the spectator handles the wallet. that's my approach...

Mats
http://www.kjellstrom.info
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » B'Wave Presentation (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL