The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Free, Out of Copyright Magic books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
I like to give Oslund a hard just to let him know he is being watched and he's not gonna get away with anything. Smile
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Thanks for the link Spartacus.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
Great to have access to these written descriptions of effects. I have advocated the study of a new effect in both written and video form, but it isn't likely to happen. Shooting a quality video is difficult and gives only a limited view of the action - and one blind of misdirection. Shooting poor video is easy if for a skill demonstration rather than magic. Writing a good effect description is also difficult and many of the books above are poorly written IMHO. The fault is often the traditional way of describing effects that has no scaffolding, many assumptions about prior knowledge and a disjointed insertion of Sleights and Moves.

Yet -- these written description have one distinct advantage over video. The reader must create a mental image of what the effect will look like. Methinks this ability has been or is being lost in the younger generations. WIth this ability you can play the effect/routine in your mind -- turn it to different angles and change it in experimental ways. It is difficult to say, "What if" when watching a video. Reading nurtures creativity while watching DVD's stifles it.

For this who think they "learn better" from a video I would ask, "but what are you learning?" Learning "what" is not the same as learning "how" -- and knowledge does not come from absorbing "believed stuff" but from Transitional Learning from explicit "knowing" to tacit "understanding."

Someone said, "Learning magic from Dvd's only prepares you to do magic on DVD's." When you start performing for real people under diverse conditions you must adapt what you have learned. Learning from a written description that requires mental imagery better prepares you to support the creation of mental imagery in the minds of your audience. So, watch a video to get a general idea of whether the effect or Sleight "fits your style" -- then use the written description to learn the effect.

By the way -- reading the description "out loud" has other advantages.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Rogue! Egad! I checked back and find that 'that' was written at 0530 (in the AM, that is!) I plead STUPIDITY! In future,I will make sure my brain is fully functioning before putting my mouth in gear!!!!! Ahh...old age! Say, whom am I talking with? what day is this? etc.?

I just checked and can't find the Einstein item. It 'had to do' with technology and human relations. It showed a series of young people in various situations that would normally be 'social events'. Each picture showed the entire group with cell phones, and/or video games. They were sitting together, but not conversing. The Einstein comment came at the end of the series of pictures. He said something like: '...when technology takes over, we're going to hell in a handbasket!' (that's strictly a paraphrase.

I need to hang up...have an appointment...be back later........Sparky!!!! Yer readin' my mail!! Tch Tch
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity. ~Albert Einstein
RogueTxn
View Profile
New user
Texas
56 Posts

Profile of RogueTxn
Watching Sparty and Dick go back and forth remind anyone else of the two old guys in the balcony of the muppet show?

All joking aside, Sparticaus thanks for that quote supporting what Dick was aiming at! You guys rock.

Funsway - I believe we're all pretty much in agreement to what ya said. Thing is, we're all preaching to the choir as we all apparently have a love of the written word to one degree or another.

~Rogue
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Quote:
On 2013-03-14 11:41, RogueTxn wrote:
Watching Sparty and Dick go back and forth remind anyone else of the two old guys in the balcony of the muppet show?

~Rogue

Yep, and I'm the one that keeps coming up with his bail money.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On 2013-03-14 13:04, spartacus wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-03-14 11:41, RogueTxn wrote:

~Rogue

Yep, and I'm the one that keeps coming up with his bail money.

That goofy guy from that border state, forgets that I used to do escapes, Sid Radner who owned a whole bunch of the Houdini stuff (via H's brother)was a good friend of "this writer" We sat together at Houdini Club Conventions. Sid in the middle and Jay on one side and me on the other. Sid told me on very good authority that "...the best lock pick for a jail cell (in those days) was a $50 bill, folded in quarters, and inserted into the hand of the jailer." These days it would require at least a "yard". Definition of "yard" only given to old townies who wouldn't know one if they saw one! So, there!!!

I'm giving strong consideration to retiring from the escape act. I already sold Brian Gunnarson most of my cuff and come along collection. I still have a good jacket and a miscellaneous bunch of cuffs, viz:: Hamburg '8s" (gaffed for jump), old Austrian Thumb Cuffs as used by Milbourne Christopher on the TODAY SHOW (w/inst. from National Magic)several pair of Hiatts (one gaffed for jumps), a nice pair of Abbott's Chain Link cuffs (elongated link) and several miscel items like a pair of Prynce Wheeler's German "Siberian' Transport Chains, oh, also a modern pair of swing thru thumb cuffs.

OY...I just recieved a telegram from the sheriff. Excuse me, while I open it. OY, it says,"Everything has been discovered! Suggest you leave town immediately!"

See you on the next lot...
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On 2013-03-14 10:33, spartacus wrote:
It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity. ~Albert Einstein

It is with great sorrow that I must (in all honesty) admit, that that person (who shall remain nameless lest "someone" delete this entire string) seems to have,at least captured the 'essence' of the honorable Mr. Einstein' sage comment. However,it has been reported that this person has also become so absent minded that he sometimes pours the syrup down the back of his shirt while scratching his waffle. I leave it to the jury!!!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
>>>DWRackley and funsway, too>>>>>>>>

Include me in! Your comments are certainly to the point.

I'm willing to admit that DVDs perhaps have a place. Like 'VISUAL AIDS' in a class room, they can help, but, they 'aint the teacher'. I had suggested a piece of film to a college prof. He replied "This is college, not Kindergarten!"

Perhaps the best way to learn a "move" or a "technique' is with the guidance, and coaching of a qualified mentor. If no mentor is readily available, a BOOK!

I just remembered a Groucho Marx (at least I think it was him) witticism: "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read, anyway.
RogueTxn
View Profile
New user
Texas
56 Posts

Profile of RogueTxn
It was most certainly Groucho Marx and my favorite quote of all there. Thank you Mr. Oslund for your continued contributions to the lunacy that prevails.

~Rogue

(I'll hit that 50 post mark eventually!)
shaihorowitz0
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of shaihorowitz0
Thanks a lot for this link!
shaihorowitz0
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of shaihorowitz0
Out of the free books listed does any one have favorites that are specifically helpful?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Free, Out of Copyright Magic books (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL