We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » PHATHOM by Brandon Queen New Ebook (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2977 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Paul,

You were doing ok till you tried to categorise all negative criticism as "nit picky TROLLING". At that point you negated your argument and demeaned yourself.
Paul Shirley
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1206 Posts

Profile of Paul Shirley
I wasn't referring to the negative criticism of the book.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2977 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Patrick Redford, Michael Murray and Ran Pink have all recommended Brandon Queen's book. They have all released very strong material in their own right. If I was in the US I would probably have already bought this by now. I'm sure most people will make an informed decision based on the TOTALITY of the posts above. That is why it is so self-defeating for Mr Queen to throw his toys out of the pram over one bad review.
Paul Shirley
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1206 Posts

Profile of Paul Shirley
The bad review was written by someone who openly admitted to not wanting 'a homework assignment' ... this immediately tells me that he probably wont get much use out of a few effects, as they don't come 'ready to play with'.
The methods, however, are rock solid... and with a little time, can be made use of anywhere. But hey, that is fine. Just not his thing... I get it.

Brandon offered a one on one skype session to help Adam do what we have all had to do for ourselves.... and baby sit him through the process of making some of these effects work for his location. If Adam chose not to take Brandon up on his offer, then... again... whatever. His prerogative. The offer WAS there though... and had he taken it up... would probably now be making full use of these effects. But... he didn't.

So... knowing that he probably could take a little more time, with the actual help of Brandon, to understand some of the material... what on earth makes that same person think they are ready to write review?

After all the effort gone to, to ensure the customer is happy.... to have none of your offers taken up... yet, to still be spat on, with a half assed, uninformed, and partially spiteful review like that. Man... I'd be throwing more than toys.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2977 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Quote:
On 2013-06-08 04:00, Paul Shirley wrote:
The bad review was written by someone who openly admitted to not wanting 'a homework assignment' ... this immediately tells me that he probably wont get much use out of a few effects, as they don't come 'ready to play with'.
The methods, however, are rock solid... and with a little time, can be made use of anywhere. But hey, that is fine. Just not his thing... I get it.

Brandon offered a one on one skype session to help Adam do what we have all had to do for ourselves.... and baby sit him through the process of making some of these effects work for his location. If Adam chose not to take Brandon up on his offer, then... again... whatever. His prerogative. The offer WAS there though... and had he taken it up... would probably now be making full use of these effects. But... he didn't.

So... knowing that he probably could take a little more time, with the actual help of Brandon, to understand some of the material... what on earth makes that same person think they are ready to write review?

After all the effort gone to, to ensure the customer is happy.... to have none of your offers taken up... yet, to still be spat on, with a half assed, uninformed, and partially spiteful review like that. Man... I'd be throwing more than toys.

Hysterical nonsense. Adam didn't like it. Others did. Mr Queen should act like a professional. Defend his work by all means but leave Adam's personal character and motivations out of it.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2977 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Ironically, if Mr Queen and his friends hadn't jumped in to give Adam an online kicking, his negative review would have been all but lost in a sea of high-powered praise.
Paul Shirley
View Profile
Inner circle
Melbourne, Australia
1206 Posts

Profile of Paul Shirley
Yeah... probably.

Have a good one mate.
JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1628 Posts

Profile of JamieD
I've been looking for some sexy mentalism like this appears to be for a while and I was very tempted by this but the usual Magic Café fighting has somewhat ruined it. Creators need to learn to not take things so seriously and personally. Also, using such emotive words like 'attacked' is crazy. Why not go and ask a victim of a horrible crime if a couple of words on a magic forum count as an 'attack'. It was certainly a spiteful and un-tastful comment, but it wasn't an 'attack'. If you know your magic works and it has touched even ONE other magician, that man, that is all that matters! We are all allowed our own opinions. Equally, reviewers should just ignore it when their review is disliked and realise that their review will do all the talking. There is no need for all this arguing. It is a real shame and something we are seeing far too much of!

Jamie Daws
THE DARK SERIES - DECEASED - SCREAM - HE'S NOT HERE - www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2977 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Jamie,

A degree of debate and disagreement on the quality of effects and methods is not only healthy but vital. That is how any art form progresses. Thesis-antithesis-synthesis.

It is only when things become personal that arguments break out. That is what we should be trying to avoid. After all, Soviet Russia succeeded in crushing all internal dissent and only allowing positive comment on THEIR methods. Look how that turned out! Smile
Brandon Queen
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, California
523 Posts

Profile of Brandon Queen
Quote:
Hysterical nonsense. Adam didn't like it. Others did. Mr Queen should act like a professional. Defend his work by all means but leave Adam's personal character and motivations out of it.

Woah woah woah! What is going on here?? How am I NOT acting like a professional? I have absolutly No problem with Adam or anyone else expressing their opinion about whatever they wish. If you read the entire thread from start to finish, you will see exactly what I'm talking about. Again, I never once said that Adam's personal thoughts and feelings on the material wasn't valid or considerded. The issue is his comments about Phathom being junk. That's what got my attention and provoked me to simply defend myself. I then took a look at his blog, and half of it was truth, and the other half was complete utter false information.

Everyone on here in Adam's defense has no idea what they are talking about, considering they do not own nor have they read Phathom. I've been very patient, and very professional. Just as Adam is free to express himself, so am I.

The fact that I gave above and beyond service for Adam's payment and he neglected to accept, nor did he even ask for a refund which I would have given him... he decided to say nasty things and get all HIS friends and blog followers (who don't know me, nor own phathom) to jump in and create drama.

This has gotten way out of hand.
It occured to me at once that love could be a great illusion, that makes fools of brilliant thinkers everyday
JamieD
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1628 Posts

Profile of JamieD
I agree Martin! It is the personal stuff that is upsetting. I love a good debate in magic and Ive had to swallow bad reviews on my own material before but the key is to be objective and not to let the comments get to you! Simples! :-D

Jamie Daws
THE DARK SERIES - DECEASED - SCREAM - HE'S NOT HERE - www.JAMIEDAWS.CO.UK
Brandon Queen
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, California
523 Posts

Profile of Brandon Queen
It's not about the bad review. I'll repeat myself again for the thousandth time. I welcome other's opinions assuming they are valid and based on facts. In fact, I'm actually surprised it took this long for someone to express an opinion about phathom that wasn't in my favor. I figured it would be sooner, as I know it's impossible to please everybody.

However, 1. Adam gave false information about the material in the book. 2. He came off very rude by making a snarky comment referring to phathom as junk. 3. The only reason he posted in this thread was to plug his blog. 4. After I had geniunely offered him any additional assistance to make him happy, he went out of his way to post an incomplete, and inaccurate review.

I have every right to defend myself from internet bullies, and I feel so far I have done so in a very civilized and professional manner.

so far...
It occured to me at once that love could be a great illusion, that makes fools of brilliant thinkers everyday
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2977 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
For what it's worth, I think you are correct about the "junk" comment. But that was clearly an ill-advised attempt at humour by Adam that backfired. He really should retract it.

But your stuff about internet bullies is silly. And your claim that you responded to Adam's critique in a professional manner is simply incorrect, which, if you read your original replies from an objective viewpoint, you will probably see.

I don't know Adam, have never PM'd him, and disagree with almost everything he writes on his blog, but as Voltaire didn't say "I may not like what he says, but I'll defend his right to say it, to the death"...or until I'm banned which, let's face it, can't be far off.

Anyway, best of luck to you, and congratulations on all the great reviews.
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1223 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
People are missing the point of a review - it's objective - I can't say, 'it doesn't work but as I am a fabulous performer I was able to fix it' I MUST review it on face value for other purchasers

1. I gave no false information
2. Junk was a joke (hence the lol, but still true if I'm not going to use it)
3. what possible benefit does me plugging the blog have other than my goal of telling people what I think - I make no money off it - I don't get free products - I don't sell anything - I think I got $0.05 from someone buying Balls
4. the assistance was not a Skype session it was an offer of an email address and frankly, when I suggested that one of the items was not applicable where I live, you got quite defensive

I'm not sure how my honest opinion classes as bullying, however, I find it ironic that you ask me to maintain some professionalism when you seem intent on personally attacking me - my opinions are based on your work though your responses here tell us a little about you

I think in America I would have had different results, but I'm not, I'm in the UK and I can't get the material to work as I described in the review
I could lift blocks from the text to support my views but I didn't, that would exposure
If you read what I wrote, I think you will find a level of respect before I detail my legitimate reasons as to why I do not like something - I didn't just blurt out my initial reactions, I kept the work, re-read it, went over it with people, TRIED to try it out, TRIED to get it to fit while maintaining the actual purchase and had no results

I paid $45 for a work where routine 1. Does not work because of inaccuracies and specific words - 2. does not work because of social events local to the US - 3. after some thinking on it, I think it's weak (my opinion) the DR isn't the greatest - 4. you say it wont work outside and it won't - 5. is ok, it's a decent idea (my opinion) - 6. might HURT my participant, I don't care how small the routine might play in reality or whatever warnings you give, it's unusable because it could cause damage

Sorry I can't give you the praise your friends give but look at my position - people try to be honest and get attacked, I am sure I am not alone in my thoughts

I paid my money and feel like I have wasted it - I expressed my opinions and think it's quite telling how you react
Brandon Queen
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, California
523 Posts

Profile of Brandon Queen
Quote:
For what it's worth, I think you are correct about the "junk" comment. But that was clearly an ill-advised attempt at humour by Adam that backfired. He really should retract it.

Thank you. I appreciate your acknowledgement.

I will also take your advice and re-read through some of these posts, and make any clarifications, corrections and apologies that may need to expressed.

BQ
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2977 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Cheers BQ,

For what it's worth I think your demos look terrific and, even if the cultural differences make your stuff unsuitable for use outside the US, I'm tempted to buy just to discover your ideas and thought process.

All the best,
Martin
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1223 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
Quote:
On 2013-06-08 06:10, Martin Pulman wrote:

But your stuff about internet bullies is silly. And your claim that you responded to Adam's critique in a professional manner is simply incorrect, which, if you read your original replies from an objective viewpoint, you will probably see.

I don't know Adam, have never PM'd him, and disagree with almost everything he writes on his blog, but as Voltaire didn't say "I may not like what he says, but I'll defend his right to say it, to the death"...or until I'm banned which, let's face it, can't be far off.

Anyway, best of luck to you, and congratulations on all the great reviews.

as I'm sure you would appreciate Martin, that's the kind of response I think I deserve, you don't have to agree with me, if you don't then I've still achieved the goal of making you think, but I am allowed to express my opinions and I try to do so in an honest manner

I couldn't resist the junk comment, the link did end up in the junk email, and I may delete the ebook, I don't think I will use it

I always say you learn from every purchase, even the bad ones, I have learnt a lot about making purchases and a lot about certain people

as I said, the first half of the presentations are great, every detail is covered up until the method section, but I didn't pay $45 for 6 interesting presentation ideas
Brandon Queen
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, California
523 Posts

Profile of Brandon Queen
Quote:
1. I gave no false information
2. Junk was a joke (hence the lol, but still true if I'm not going to use it)
3. what possible benefit does me plugging the blog have other than my goal of telling people what I think - I make no money off it - I don't get free products - I don't sell anything - I think I got $0.05 from someone buying Balls
4. the assistance was not a Skype session it was an offer of an email address and frankly, when I suggested that one of the items was not applicable where I live, you got quite defensive

1. The false information is regarding Psycho Dysphagia.

2. Ha.. Ha.

3. No one mentioned montetary benefits from gaining blog followers, but clearly there are SEVERAL benefits to gaining blog followers and readers, otherwise you wouldn't waste your time having one would you?

4. I never said it was a skype session, I don't know where you're getting that information.

Quote:
I'm not sure how my honest opinion classes as bullying, however, I find it ironic that you ask me to maintain some professionalism when you seem intent on personally attacking me - my opinions are based on your work though your responses here tell us a little about you

I wasn't referring to your post alone as bullying. Please point out ONE instance where I have attacked you...

Quote:
I think in America I would have had different results, but I'm not, I'm in the UK and I can't get the material to work as I described in the review
I could lift blocks from the text to support my views but I didn't, that would exposure
If you read what I wrote, I think you will find a level of respect before I detail my legitimate reasons as to why I do not like something - I didn't just blurt out my initial reactions, I kept the work, re-read it, went over it with people, TRIED to try it out, TRIED to get it to fit while maintaining the actual purchase and had no results

THIS right here is a completely valid and respectable honest opinion of yours. I support it. Also I appreciate you keeping the integrity of our art. I'm thankful for that. I'll reiterate - It's not your opinion that I'm bothered by, offended by or defensive about, it's HOW you chose to express your opinion. Unprofessional, rude and inaccurate.

Quote:
I paid $45 for a work where routine 1. Does not work because of inaccuracies and specific words - 2. does not work because of social events local to the US - 3. after some thinking on it, I think it's weak (my opinion) the DR isn't the greatest - 4. you say it wont work outside and it won't - 5. is ok, it's a decent idea (my opinion) - 6. might HURT my participant, I don't care how small the routine might play in reality or whatever warnings you give, it's unusable because it could cause damage

All fair to say, and completely valid. Your feelings on Lacuna being "weak" are also fine. I appreciate your opinion and you're welcome to feel how you wish. I have no contest to that. However again, I must clarify, that you are absolutely 100% in your assumptions and inaccurate information about Psycho Dsyphagia being unusable due to causing damage. If you re-read the book, you will recall I gave multiple methods of acheiving this effect. The very method YOU keep mentioning, was only put in the book for completness, and for educational purposes only. It is NOT the main method, nor do I suggest using it. Please stop twisting things around and giving people innacurate false information.

So there are 3 routines that you and I agree on that you cannot perform "straight out of the box" so to speak. We disccused this in PM. However it wasn't brought to my attention how you feel about the other three remaining effects until now. Not that you're obligated to inform me, but considering I was willing to do whatever I needed to make you a happy customer, I find your approach quite insulting and distasteful.

So, for the millionth time, I will try to make this clear. I am in no way bothered by, offended by, upset, insulted or disagree with how you feel about Telegeusia, Telegeusia II, and R.A.M.

In fact I find it useful and helpful to some degree. The part of your rant and review that does not resonate well with me, are your assumptions about Lacuna causing the audience to be angry, and the misinformation about psycho dysphagia. Also your junk comment was inappropriate.

BQ
Olympic Adam
View Profile
Inner circle
1223 Posts

Profile of Olympic Adam
I'm not going to justify how you might have attacked me, read your posts
I can't believe I am still having to justify an opinion

The quotes about hurting the participant were taken from across the explanations, not just one page
In the PM I found that your dismissal of my claim that something didn't fit where I live was quite defensive as though it was my problem

junk is subjective, one man's junk as they say...

I think you are missing the point of my blog, it's to give back to the community here in the form of making an educated decision based on my experience as a purchaser - for both the good and the bad

the only benefit that I get from someone viewing my blog is that I hope I have helped someone, or at least made them think, I don't get off on the number of page views I may or may not have and I find your claims that I did this for publicity actually quite an attack - and quite presumptuous that your work is so important that me criticising it would somehow be helpful - I criticised the work because I cannot use half of it and the other half did nothing for me and I feel that I wasted money
Brandon Queen
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles, California
523 Posts

Profile of Brandon Queen
That's because I didn't "attack' you.

Quote:
In the PM I found that your dismissal of my claim that something didn't fit where I live was quite defensive as though it was my problem

I sincerely apologize if my response came off that way. Wasn't my intention.

Quote:
I think you are missing the point of my blog, it's to give back to the community here in the form of making an educated decision based on my experience as a purchaser - for both the good and the bad

the only benefit that I get from someone viewing my blog is that I hope I have helped someone, or at least made them think, I don't get off on the number of page views I may or may not have and I find your claims that I did this for publicity actually quite an attack - and quite presumptuous that your work is so important that me criticising it would somehow be helpful - I criticised the work because I cannot use half of it and the other half did nothing for me and I feel that I wasted money

Lol ok. relax Bud. Take a breather.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Mentally Speaking » » PHATHOM by Brandon Queen New Ebook (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL