The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Yigal Mesika Electric Touch + (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..8..11..14..17..20..22~23~24 [Next]
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
I think it is pretty obvious what this [Electric Touch] does. If you don't like the demo. don't buy it.

Is this thread going to turn into all the grandmas coming out and talking about how if you use this you suck and if you treat someone this way or that way, you will will punch me.

You are not going to punch anybody ok? Get real. You punch someone, you go to jail. Stop talking like you are in the UFC.

Can we just talk about the device itself?
Thank you,
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
Don Dasher
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Don Dasher
Quote:
On 2013-03-13 03:25, Xiqual wrote:
You are not going to punch anybody ok? Get real. You punch someone, you go to jail.

LOL! Where do you think I'm posting from?

DD
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2013-03-13 05:18, Don Dasher wrote:
Quote:

You punch someone, you go to jail.

Smile

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
8a22a
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, UK
157 Posts

Profile of 8a22a
It would be more practical if it was integrated into a sock. Smile
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Profile of Justin N. Miller
So can someone please, logically, explain to me how this is magic?
If this was something that came out let's say BEFORE electricity was discovered and harnessed, yea I could see a few stake burnings. But we now live in an age of technology that understands what electricity is and how it operates. So how in the world is this magic? And I also agree with the above posts by don (hell just got frost bite) and others about this is just a bad, bad prank.Plus, you have NO IDEA if someone has had a pacemaker or another electronic device surgically placed in their body, this could be a very lethal mistake. It is things like this and the funken ring that makes people see magicians the way they do...ughhh!
JM
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
Quote:
On 2013-03-13 07:10, Justin N. Miller wrote:
If this was something that came out let's say BEFORE electricity was discovered and harnessed, yea I could see a few stake burnings. But we now live in an age of technology that understands what electricity is and how it operates. So how in the world is this magic? And I also agree with the above posts by don (hell just got frost bite) and others about this is just a bad, bad prank.Plus, you have NO IDEA if someone has had a pacemaker or another electronic device surgically placed in their body, this could be a very lethal mistake. It is things like this and the funken ring that makes people see magicians the way they do...ughhh!
JM

Hey Justin - whats up. I used to use Electric Touch quite often. And like Randi Rain above, I found the set up impractical and just kind of a pain in the butt for what I used it for. But to address "How it's magic." I would refer you to the plethora of smoke effects on the market. Making smoke appear isn't magic either. Smoke's been around since long before electricity. And making smoke appear by itself isn't that magical. Neither is electric touch. I use it to punctuate magic moments. In Yigal's demo, he touches a dude on the forehead under the idea that he is implanting a card into the guy's thoughts. I used it with things like sponge balls. I hold one, you hold one. We touch thumbs. "Did you feel that?" It gives the magic a moment. Another problem with things like this are that they tend to leave the audience saying "okay that was amazing - I don't know how that ball got into my hand but HOW DID HE SHOCK ME?" I'm experiencing the same thing with using smoke. I'm using smoke to punctuate a card change. The card change is good, but it's being completely overshadowed by the use of smoke.

I emailed Yigal about this and haven't heard back, but if you're going to advertise a "New and Improved" version of a device, isn't it important to tell us why it's better? I already spent a bunch of money on this device the first time (and went through the pre-order promises and delays and hassles). Why would I want to spend the $200 again? Can Yigal or someone tell us what makes this better than the original version.

This post makes me sound angry. Promise I'm not. Haven't had my morning coffee.
king2262
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of king2262
I too having the original ET and would like to no what's different regarding equipment and set up ,my originals still working fine so to upgrade I'd like to no exactly what I'd be purchasing !
I know it's a different effect but wasn't it Pure smoke where a video was released showing you what you would be receiving and the set up involved?
Something like that for ET+ would be nice Smile
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Profile of Justin N. Miller
Quote:
On 2013-03-13 09:25, MichaelKent wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-03-13 07:10, Justin N. Miller wrote:
JM

Hey Justin - whats up. I used to use Electric Touch quite often. And like Randi Rain above, I found the set up impractical and just kind of a pain in the butt for what I used it for. But to address "How it's magic." I would refer you to the plethora of smoke effects on the market. Making smoke appear isn't magic either. Smoke's been around since long before electricity. And making smoke appear by itself isn't that magical. Neither is electric touch. I use it to punctuate magic moments. In Yigal's demo, he touches a dude on the forehead under the idea that he is implanting a card into the guy's thoughts. I used it with things like sponge balls. I hold one, you hold one. We touch thumbs. "Did you feel that?" It gives the magic a moment. Another problem with things like this are that they tend to leave the audience saying "okay that was amazing - I don't know how that ball got into my hand but HOW DID HE SHOCK ME?" I'm experiencing the same thing with using smoke. I'm using smoke to punctuate a card change. The card change is good, but it's being completely overshadowed by the use of smoke.

I emailed Yigal about this and haven't heard back, but if you're going to advertise a "New and Improved" version of a device, isn't it important to tell us why it's better? I already spent a bunch of money on this device the first time (and went through the pre-order promises and delays and hassles). Why would I want to spend the $200 again? Can Yigal or someone tell us what makes this better than the original version.

This post makes me sound angry. Promise I'm not. Haven't had my morning coffee.

Kent!! what's up brother? Seems like forever we hung in willman's room. GREAT times bro!
Ok, I can see how you see that, but the bigger thing here is that I know of no known smoke device on the market today (excluding ultra smoke 2k and I was the poster boy for that, and when I found out what it could do I immediately stepped away from it) that could potentially hurt you if you just used it in the right way. I think that point is the real issue here. And I do not see electric as magic, I can rub my feet together and get the same effect. Smoke however, coming from no where is way more magical as a person should not just be able to produce smoke at any given notice, unless they are on fire or they have a device (couch) that is producing that smoke visibly.

JM
Alan Rorrison
View Profile
V.I.P.
2494 Posts

Profile of Alan Rorrison
The original et left me with some pretty bad burns on the body art you hook it up to... 2 years later I still have the scars!
Exitmat
View Profile
Special user
641 Posts

Profile of Exitmat
Quote:
...I do not see electric as magic, I can rub my feet together and get the same effect. Smoke however, coming from no where is way more magical as a person should not just be able to produce smoke at any given notice, unless they are on fire or they have a device (couch) that is producing that smoke visibly.

JM

For me the whole key with the ET has always been in not being literal about the effect of the shock, but rather in being vague and suggestive about it. I don't say I'm going to shock them. Also, I don't just do it and let them define what it was either. I set up the moment kind of like Luke Jermay's Burst Bubble Suggestion, but using the ET to punctuate the moment before I continue to the moment I reveal the thought. Shocking them without first framing it, and then just standing there and giving them all the time they want to talk about it is not the best way to use this in my opinion. Set up what you want them to experience and then further define that experience before concluding the performance--so you're kind of bookending the whole thing. Even if they still say it felt like a shock, it's easy to bring it back by talking about how our brains are run by electricity and so thoughts really just ride on electric currents, etc.
Archey
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of Archey
I'd also be interested to hear about any improvements, like a lot of others here I had the original but wasn't overly happy with the hook up. I know the PETS setup but although it had some advantages over the original hook up it was still a pain in the 'arris!
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
The one thing that WILL shock me is if this actually ships on the announced release date of April 12th. The Spider Pen Pro was a delayed, pre-order nightmare for people.

I think if David Blaine did this on a special, it would be a big deal and Magicians everywhere would want one.

Since we all know what it is, Yigal should come and explain what's different then the first release.
randirain
View Profile
Inner circle
Fort Worth, TX
1650 Posts

Profile of randirain
They were delayed the first time around by Homeland Security trying to figure out what these devices were he was bringing into the country.

Randi
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Trust me the first Electric Touch thread on here went over 50 pages with little information to be brought. I am eager, I stil have the original HOPEFULLY he would provide and upgrade price if not I would have to have hands ON with this one before I decide.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-03-13 01:32, randirain wrote:
Yeah... I had an Electric Touch and I know exactly how the electronics works.
Your not going to do anything but **** people off shocking them on the forehead.
It's no more of a spark than rubbing your sock feet on some carpet and touching something.
I still don't recommend touching someones forehead though, but you're not going to stop their heart or send them into an epileptic coma.
You'll just make them want to punch you.

The first ET was not practical at all. It was too hard to set up and keep set up.
Out of all the time I had mine, I was able to put it to work (real gig) one time.
The rest, was me messing with it trying to get it to work and just playing with it.

The electronics are nothing new, so don't look for anything like that.
It's not like they are being made with graphene now or something.
I am sure the new version is an improvement on the set up, or no improvement at all. Just brought out again.

Randi

I think you are on the mark with what you wrote.
Don Dasher
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Don Dasher
I do have a couple thoughts about the gimmick itself.

This was released a long time ago. I wonder if it would damage a new iphone?

I also wonder if someone might think you tried to hit them with a dollar store stun gun or something and call the cops. Then you would end up in jail, just like if you punched someone in the face.

Serious question: Is it legal to shock people?

I mean, are there possibly new laws on the books? I'm sure using a stun gun on someone without their consent is illegal. Would that apply to any device used to give someone a shock? It shouldn't matter if you made your stun gun in your basement and it's weak as hell, right? I know it's a small shock but you're arming yourself with the device, approaching strangers and then administering the shock suddenly and on purpose. In every case it causes discomfort. I'm pretty certain that's simple battery in any state.

I suppose Google would be a better place to ask that question. But those are my thoughts about this device. How is a device constructed for the sole purpose of shocking someone and making them scream differ legally from any other homemade weapon? This isn't a shocking pen or lighter. Those shock everyone who picks them up. They shock themselves with it. This is very different. You arm yourself, approach someone and shock them. With your hand. And who is to say that you only hurt them a little bit? Pain is subjective. Ask any personal injury attorney.

I know the argument here would be that it's obviously a prop used for magical purposes but here's a similar situation that comes to mind which makes me think that's a poor defense. There was a clown at a Thanksgiving day parade a few years back who was busted for tickling children inappropriately with a feather duster wand.

Even though the feather duster was a prop and he was dressed as a clown, it's still tickle your @ss with a feather to the courts.

DD
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Well I personally HATE the feeling of receiving a shock - and would probably be loath to shock others in trying to show my magical "powers."

So I am with Ms. RR and others who wonder whether this is really that groovy a device?

I suspect Yigal - having posted and spinned initially the way he wanted to - probably won't be joining this discussion again for awhile.

But Ustaad did turn me on to a cool tennis racket/swatter that I had never heard of - and might be fun for electrocuting mosquitos in the Summer!

I'm stoked! The reviews look pretty good for using to make bugs explode lol.

No criticism to James either if he's had success with these devices btw - but again I HATE to get shocked and if someone did this to me it might take me from a happy mood to an UFC mood pretty quicko.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Mysterious Mike
View Profile
Loyal user
Chicago
258 Posts

Profile of Mysterious Mike
Perhaps a disclaimer would be appropriate... ask the person you are performing for if they would take offense to being shocked. And let them touch you if they want to, you never initate the touch.
The performance is what really makes it all worth while.
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
The wearer also gets the same shock. You are "sharing' a small static discharge. Same as if you touch your car in the winter or a plastic slide in the park. I think it dpends on the presentation. You can also move paper and water. BUT, don't use the toilet while it is on!
James
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
View Profile
Special user
874 Posts

Profile of 1908
[quote]On 2013-03-13 05:18, Don Dasher wrote:
Quote:
You are not going to punch anybody ok? Get real. You punch someone, you go to jail.

LOL! Try not to use it then when in the showers! Xiqual you said I can not use it while in toilet, what happens if I use it while I am trying to have a baby??? Smile
Yigal must tell us about the differences or at least basic info of the upgraded product.
Don't wait for the perfect moment...Take a moment and make it perfect!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Yigal Mesika Electric Touch + (14 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..8..11..14..17..20..22~23~24 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL