The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Snakes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Missing_Link
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of Missing_Link
Apart from the Penn & Teller routine, does anyone know of routines involving snakes?

Slainte!

ML
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4454 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
Apart from the 'disappearing mouse' trick?

:evilgrin:
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
dorbolo
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of dorbolo
Well, In Las Vegas there is Maria the Snakebabe.
http://www.snakebabe.com/venom.shtml
...if you have the moves.

I think you are onto something, ML, with the centrality of the snake in Harry Potter, audiences will be attuned to snake energy.

And then there is the snake and stick routine that Aaron did when he played Pharaoh's Palace (see, Exodus 8).

How about a levitating corn snake?
A python production?
Splitting a serpent in two?

One could use many of the livestock vanish and production props for snakes as well.
thinkofacard
View Profile
Regular user
UK
178 Posts

Profile of thinkofacard
You could always eat a snake like DB last week!!!!
Smile
If you can't stand the blood, get out of the slaughterhouse!
Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
Elsewhere
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
Quote:
And then there is the snake and stick routine that Aaron did when he played Pharaoh's Palace (see, Exodus 8).

Exodus 7 actually, but yeah, cool trick. I really should try it sometime. Smile

Sable
Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
Magic Tim
View Profile
New user
Texas
40 Posts

Profile of Magic Tim
Dorbolo's response had me LOL!

Seriously, I'm also interested in exploring the effective use of snakes. I would never have thought of myself as a "snake person" but I inadvertently wound up with a "pet" baby black rat snake a few years ago, which has since grown to 4+ feet.

One thing that concerns me is how a snake will react to its role in a performance. They are sometimes unpredictable: Whereas a rabbit may be easily cuddled and restrained, a snake under lights or in a crowd may embark on an aggressive slithering routine of its own, or even unexpectedly strike at curious spectators.

The impact of producing a snake can be powerful (Blaine did an impressive job of it one one of his recent specials), but it could also be a real turn-off to some (especially some women), who will only remember your performance in light of that "icky serpent" you produced.

Some guideline "DOs and DON'Ts" from some experienced "snake handlers" would be really valuable here!!

Tim
http://www.timwallacemagic.com

“I find your lack of faith disturbing.” -- Darth Vader
Peter Loughran
View Profile
V.I.P.
Ontario, Canada
2683 Posts

Profile of Peter Loughran
On TLC there was a magician from India who produced a Cobra from a Dove pan!

P.
Brand New: - SNAKE BITE ILLUSION
www.masterofillusions.ca

Follow me on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/peter.loughran.9

Check out my new movie:
www.plasterrockmovie.com
www.globaluniversal.com

Also visit: www.l2fireworks.com
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5355 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I have a Rock Python “Zak” that has been produced fairly regularly. He is magically appears from a pile of scarves that have been produced from a very small Square Circle (a bag steal from the table back). Zak is only 4.5 feet long and is mainly used when I am doing a teen or young adult party.

I must admit that he always gets a strong reaction! It is fun to watch people touch him after the show. I have a nice collection of photos of people who have allowed him to be draped over their shoulders!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
I saw the rope trick where the rope is cut and then magically restored done with a snake once. It was really good, a nice twist, complete with blood and guts, and the snake was always moving.
Jester_Juggler Smile
Stevenleeaugust
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Stevenleeaugust
Snakes.
I highly advise NOT to use them in shows. We have been using them for years and it is a heck of a lot of work.

It's not that I worry about the competition, but my concern is for the health of the animal.

I have been performing a dove pan illusion with a Bar-B-Que grill for over 20 years now. You can see a brief clip of it on my site at
http://www.steveaugust.com/showdescrip.shtml
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5355 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Steve, Nice site! It looks like you have a very varied, dramatic and visual act! I suspect that it is very fast paced and upbeat. Exactly the kind of act that I love to watch! I hope to be able to catch you some day.

That is a beautiful snake (Python?) it looks to be almost twice the size of my Zak! I do agree with you that snakes can be a real pain in the rear. Zak had pneumonia one year and I actually had to give him injections of antibiotic myself! He was not pleased!

Of course I cannot pass by without saying that Maria is…well…an old man’s dream!

One question, is that your real hair? I mean really all of it? Oh I am so jealous, big snake, gorgeous girl, and hair! Man you have it all!

Thanks for sharing!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
is where I'm trapped, because of my
4071 Posts

Profile of Michael Peterson
Do you guys think a small snake for an occasional production is a bad idea?
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
4071 Posts

Smile I can't believe you guys are ignoring me.
paulapaul
View Profile
Regular user
Nevada
173 Posts

Profile of paulapaul
Ichazod,

If this keeps up, come on over to PARROTS and ask about using little parrots. We'll talk to ya'.

Smile pp
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
4071 Posts

Thanx Paula Smile
I'm glad someone cares Smile
Stevenleeaugust
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

mumble,
Thanks for the compliments on my site. Maria designed it along with hers. She is a bit of a computer geek. And sorry for not replying sooner. I do not get in here much but I do like to kick back after a show every now and then. That is when I go into chats and such.
Yes, this is my real hair and yes I am very lucky to have Maria. The way things are going I may give up the biz and just work for her. LOL

Ichazod
Again I apologize for not getting back sooner. Gotta work when the work is there. My concern with one snake is that one isn’t enough. There is time off for shedding and never ever work a snake for at least 4 days after they have eaten. This puts one snake out of biz close to 2 weeks per month. We currently have 17 snakes of all sizes to accommodate a normal work schedule. We love them and thankfully Maria's modeling career keeps us in snake food and supplies but I cant imagine anyone spending the $$$ we do just for an occasional trick.
Just my 2 cents

Paula
Hi there. Nice to see you post. I haven’t seen you in years. Maria will be performing a 10-minute comedy magic spot at the Greek Isle next Wednesday again, if you’re there stop in and say hi.
Steve
Michael Peterson
View Profile
Inner circle
4071 Posts

Thank you, lord of the snakes. I really appreciate the input. I'm currently looking into Tarantulas Smile
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
I recently acquired a new magic manual, and inside was a description of how people have been known to hypnotise serpents to become rigid like staffs. This was an explanation of the Exodus illusion. Any more definitive resources on how to hypnotise snakes to achieve this desired effect?
Stevenleeaugust
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Lord of snakes huh, I like that.
Snake
View Profile
New user
Craig Smith
2 Posts

Profile of Snake
Howzit all!!!
My first time on the forum, let me introduce myself. My name is Craig and I am from South Africa. I am one of the owners of Fitzsimons Snake Park in Durban South Africa, and have been an avid snake collector for the past 26 years. In the last three years I have gone into doing a lot of reptile shows at schools, mainly pre schools and have foud a brilliant niche in the three to six year old market. I do an hour long reptile show introducing children to reptiles, and include a tortoise, a monitor lizard, a taiwanese ratsnake, and an albino burmese python in my show. All the animals can be touched and felt and thus far, touch wood, we have had no accidents. I relate the animals to the kids as being pets, and just as you will get bitten if you hurt your pet dog or cat, so too will my pets bite if they are hurt. Reptiles do take a lot of work to get them accustomed to people, but the correct choice of specie does help. As with all animals, some dogs are naturally more nervous than others and do not relate well to large crowds, exactly the same with reptiles. A lot of work but well worth the result you will achieve. Hope this helps a bit.
Cheers, Craig.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Snakes (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL