The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Payment or Free (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
bishthemagish
View Profile
Inner circle
6013 Posts

Profile of bishthemagish
Great post Chris...

You are pointing out many importnat things about doing extra. I can't name all the times when I have done extra time in a restaurant and did that one more table that requested magic when I was about to leave having compleated the job fot the day.

I did the extra tables and I was often rewarded with a contact for bigger things. Like a show, or I me an importnat person with a newspaper once and even a TV producer.

You just never know who you will meet.

Also there are so MANY restaurants that you can work if they do not want to pay you what you want just keep knocking on the doors until you find the one's that will...

But I feel the price should be set for the magician to get steady work. And get an income as you use the restaurant job - to sell yourself as a magician to people that can afford to go out to eat - and book you for shows...

Best ahead,

Glenn Bishop
Glenn Bishop Cardician

Producer of the DVD Punch Deal Pro

Publisher of Glenn Bishop's Ace Cutting And Block Transfer Triumphs
MYMagic
View Profile
New user
Florida
24 Posts

Profile of MYMagic
I do shows for charities and not-for-profits that I believe in their cause. I do have them pay me my fees and then I donate the money back to the organization. Just a thought
May your day be filled with MAGIC!
EricHenning
View Profile
Loyal user
Laurel, Maryland
218 Posts

Profile of EricHenning
Here's another thought that I haven't seen anyone mention - or perhaps I missed it.

There are many, many organizations, mostly non-profits, who simply do not have the money to pay a professional entertainer of any kind. In this instance, it makes perfect sense for a newbie to do a free show. He gets the "flight time" and they get the show - and no one is taking business away from a professional.

Having said that, since I live near Washington, DC, where the $1,000-A-Plate Charity Event is BIG business, I have a simple rule of thumb. Unless it is one of the few organizations in which I am personally involved, I donate my services IF and ONLY IF ALL the other vendors are also donating their services. In other words, if the hotel, caterer, DJ, etc. are getting paid, I am getting paid.

Many, many charities around here are in the habit of spending their entire event bidget, then at the last moment someone has the brilliant idea - why don't we get some strolling magicians? - and they call the SAM or IBM to get some free magicians. Their argument is that the magi will get "great exposure." Well, as one of my local colleagues says, a person can die of exposure.

So pick your charities carefully.
LarryTaylor
View Profile
New user
Miamisburg Ohio
72 Posts

Profile of LarryTaylor
Joel,
Wow! What a topic. I think you know you are good enough. Maybe you should try this, figure out what it would cost you to take the family out to dinner and a movie. Charge that much for the first hour. Then maybe give them a break on the following hours. Sooner or later you will have to dive into yours first paying gig. I know many very good magicians that have never worked a paying gig, only because of their confidence level.
Look at it as if you did have to perform to pay rent. We all get booked a lot on the weekends and one can only perform so many shows in a weekend (supply and demand)
Can also dictate price. I love it when I have work during the weekdays. What if you were hired for a weekday event and lets say you have no other job, how much would you need to live on, this too may dictate price.
Magical Entertainer,teacher and creative consultant.
MDS
View Profile
Special user
USA
528 Posts

Profile of MDS
I do one charity show per year and after that I cut it off. I have made exceptions in the past, but I normally stick to this.

Matthew
Matthew David Stanley,
Comedy Magician
matthew@matthewdavidstanley.com
www.matthewdavidstanley.com
FullTimer
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of FullTimer
There are always times and places for professionals to donate their services for charities or other causes. However, in most situations, the only thing a free show will earn you is the opportunity to do another free show.

If you've been working for various clients for free just for your flight time and later start charging, they won't understand this, and odds are that they won't hire you, either. Now you have to start over with nothing as a client base, and you've learned just how much (or actually, how little) they value your services.

I don't care how much of a beginner you may be: charge for your shows. The client will perceive you in a better light, and you'll be in a much better position to further your business. Much of the success of your business will depend on how your clients perceive you, and if you yourself don't perceive that you're worth something, neither will they.
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
599 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
This is my view on "how to Find out how much"

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=3764482

Magic is an art form.

If a musician wants to go someplace and play music for free all day long, who cares.

No one.

If an actor wants to stand on a street corner and perform for free all day long, who cares.

No one.

If a ballplayer wants to go down to the park and play baseball for crying out loud, all day for free, who cares.

No one.

If any of these “performers” want to go into a venue that is currently paying other “performers” to work, and work for free all day long, who cares.

Everyone who has to eat. Everyone who has to put shoes on the feet of their own child. Everyone who has to buy clothes for their family, pay health insurance, make a car payment, sent in the house payment.

If you want, to work free or if your new and need to work free. More power to you.

If all you want is an audience, why not just get up and go do it.

No one cares.

But, if you see other entertainers advertising for work. If you see them advertising in different markets. If you see them working daycares, birthdays, company picnics, holiday events. If you see other entertainers trying to make a living in a venue.

Why would you go to that venue and work for free? Please let me know.

In fact if you want or need to work free for any reason, why not call your local parks board and get permission to do perform every Monday night at a park. You can pass out business cards and do more free shows from the leads you get. You'll be in front of people and get real world experience without hurting the business of others. Why not go to the poorest area of town. Hey, they need you more than anyone else.

Seriously, if God has bless you with a talent, by all means do some good with it. But please don't hurt one group as you are trying to help the other.

Find a place to share you art, but please, find your place not someone else's.

Ron Calhoun
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Payment or Free (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL