The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Fred Kaps on Ed Sullivan (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gregg Tobo
View Profile
New user
Denver
64 Posts

Profile of Gregg Tobo
Recently released on DVD is "The Four Complete Historic Ed Sullivan Shows Featuring the Beatles," which includes (among other many things) a brief 5 minute segment with Fred Kaps performing the Homing Card and the Salt Pour.

Fred's knack for humanizing his magic shines through; his sleight of hand is good, and his acting is even better. Both tricks are of the "magician in trouble" sort, and he modulates nicely from confidence to frustration to surrender, and all shades in-between.

Also on this 2 DVD set, Fantasio performs a dove act, and there's some mop-headed band from Liverpool that everyone was making a big fuss about...

Gregg Tobo
dlhoyt
View Profile
Regular user
176 Posts

Profile of dlhoyt
I got this for my wife for Xmas and just discovered the Kaps and Fantasio performances. It was a great pleasure to see Fred Kaps -- I have read a lot about him but never saw him perform. Get these DVDs just to see him. By the way -- does anyone know what the card effect he performs is called? (He displays 5 red cards; one changes to a black king and is discarded. He displays 4 red cards and one changes to the same black king and is discarded. Etc., etc.)
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Potomac, MD
5266 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Homing Card.
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
The Kaps presentation of the Homing Card is an absolute classic. His convincing acting as the "magician in trouble" is just priceless. It reminds you that magic is a performing art. The tricks are the medium, but it's the performer that entertains.

I've had the video tape of this for years. I'm glad to know it's available on DVD.

Dennis Loomis
http://www.loomismagic.com
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2218 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
I have a vhs tape called " The Magic Of Ed Sullivan " All magic and sevearl magicians on it. Kaps is on it and I nearly passed out when he produced a live bunny from his cane!
You know I think I will convert it to DVD+R
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4858 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Does your tape have Johnny Hart or Richard Ross on it?
Paul Menzel
View Profile
Special user
Boise, Idaho
530 Posts

Profile of Paul Menzel
Dlhoyt,

For the record, this is Bro. John Hamman's Homing Card, not to be mistaken for Francis Carlyle's Homing Card, which is a card-to-pocket effect (also good, but not the effect you are looking for).
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Paul Menzel,

For the record, this is Hugard and Braue's "Homing Card", from a, (roughly), 30 page pamphlet called "Showstoppers With Cards". It was published in the forties, or thereabouts. I have a copy in my working library, and can pull it when I go home, (I'm in my office right now, hard at work!), if people need the details. It is pretty easily obtained, used, for a nominal price (3-5 dollars, usually), from any of the used book dealers (H&R, Andy Greget, Carrandi, Byron Walker, etc.). I would have to check, but as far as I know, it pre-dates Brother John by some years...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Fred Kaps on Ed Sullivan (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL