The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Miracles do happen (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

zipper
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of zipper
A story for your viewing pleasure: I got Tamariz's Mnemonica book awhile back and have been working with the tricks and routines in it. One of my favorite is his ACAAN on p. 82. I took my Mnemonica deck and visited my mother, who is still my best audience (We live in the same city but in different places). I had the deck in mnenomica order in the box and tabled. I asked for any card (9 of Hearts was her selection)and then any number between 1 and 52 inclusive. She selected 17. "Holy cow," says I. I was expecting to have to do some quick subtraction and a pass in order to bring the trick to its successful conclusion but thanks to the powers that be (i.e., the gods who watch over card magicians) I didn't have to do anything other than instruct my mother to remove the deck and count to the number she had selected. I didn't even go near the cards. When she turned over the 17th card and saw the 9 of hearts . . . well let's say her reactions were priceless. I did a few other tricks and then was preparing to return home. I did want to do ACAAN in which I'd have to do some manipulation. I put the deck in the case and put it on the table. "Pick any card you like, Mom." This time she selected the Ace of Spades. "Pick a number." She selected number 7. Once again, all I had to do was to instruct her to remove the cards from the case and count to her selected number. When she turned over the Ace of Spades . . . well, you can probably imagine her response.

Magical things to you and your mom,
Zipper
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1513 Posts

Profile of Cain
Even after getting a direct hit, you tempted the gods. I'm impressed. And somewhere, there's a poor *** who has done this trick repeatedly and never had someone name the exact number.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
What an amazing piece of luck. Thanks for sharing.

Dennis "Denny" Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
J-L Sparrow
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of J-L Sparrow
Cool story!

Reminds me of the time I was doing the Invisible Deck routine for my mother, and her card was the King of Hearts. The card box I was using happened to show the King of Hearts on its cover, so I just turned over the card box, and said something like, "See? The now-visible deck knows which card you picked!"

(Not quite the trick I was originally going for, but still fun.)
Atom3339
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
3242 Posts

Profile of Atom3339
Sweeeet, zipper! Had a similar serendipity experience at our magic club where three times in a row a JS was chosen in "pick a card" routines; no sleights involved. Also, the President of the club always wears a chain with a JS medallion. All of us should have purchased lottery tickets that day!

BTW, my luck is usually the opposite. I really WORK at this stuff!
TH

Occupy Your Dream
zipper
View Profile
Regular user
113 Posts

Profile of zipper
Magic folks,

Thanks so much for the responses to mom and me. I really enjoy reading them so keep them coming. All this shows me how really cool magic and magicians really are.

Happy trails,
Zipper
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Miracles do happen (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL