The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Chapeagraphy / Chapeaugraphy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
Quote:
On 2013-03-17 04:25, RogueTxn wrote:
I have nothing but the utmost respect for you both.

~Rogue

Thanks, but I'm a nobody, save it for Oslund Smile

RogueTxn
View Profile
New user
Texas
56 Posts

Profile of RogueTxn
Again...how is it he continues to allow you to breathe?

Awesome picture!

and I'll stand behind what I said...I have nothing but the utmost respect for you both

~Rogue
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Sheeesh! That's the flip side of a school assembly sheet from about early '70s!

"We haven't seen Dick since way last fall,

When they posted his picture on the Post Office wall.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Jim Sparx
View Profile
Inner circle
Far Out, Texas
1144 Posts

Profile of Jim Sparx
As you can see by my picture, I am much prettier...

(I think that Statue of Limitations might be running out on Oslund insofar as those Post Office pictures)
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22349 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
"Chapeaugrapny", or "Many Face Under One Hat" is published in 1937 book, "The Modern Conjurer" and Drawing Room Entertainer by C. Lang Neil on page 331 - 349. There is photo illustrated explanation of the different hats. Not really a routine, but more of what can be accomplished with the circle of felt. The book is available in PDF format from Lybrary dot com if you cannot find a second hand copy of this book. This is a great book with many of the Classic tricks as well.

Abbott's has made and sold the circle of felt for years, it is not ordinary felt, but more like actual hat felt material. This material is 4 to six times the thickness of standard felt found in fabric stores. The closest thing would be to get some pool table felt and sew several layers of this together.

Abbott's had some of the thickest felt I have ever seen. I handled their circle of felt from a friend that bought one. It was more like just the brim of hat, and even sewn in circles around brim like many of thin material hats sold today. This gives the material strength and helps to retain the shape. They even put the hat grosgrain ribbon material around the boarders the brim, just like on better quality felt hats.

Besides "Troublewit", I believe the late Sid Lorraine also published a routine with item in one of his "Patter" book published by Abbott's Magic.

Harry Anderson was the 1st time I ever saw a person present this effect, "Chapeaugrapny".

Dick Stoner has put the best flowing routine with the paper folding item "Troublewit" that captures the audience and pulls you into the story. He told me he used the Sid Lorraine items from Sid's book.

Everything Abbott's sells is not listed on their website, an email would not hurt to ask, if interested to investigate this further.
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Chris.Z
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Chris.Z
I love that pretty much any obscure piece of magic or performance, a quick bit of googling brings me right back to the Café.
You guys rock so hard.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8363 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Just found this old thread~

I mailed a copy of "Modern Conjuror" to Rogue Texan last spring, and we corresponded for awhile. Suddenly communication ceased. I wrote a letter, but got no answer. I'm assuming that he passed away. It may be that he had no family. Does anyone know for sure?

Jim Sparx has also withdrawn from all correspondence with me, or on the Café, as of late last spring. HiS last note on the Café mentioned a serious diabetic problem. Does anyone know if he is still living?
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
...and hats are becoming more popular these days.

Harris
owner of quite a few hats (and harmonicas said Nigel the puppet that rocks and talks)
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Fabrice magician
View Profile
New user
Queensland Australia
1 Post

Profile of Fabrice magician
I currently have an act as a Chapeaugrapher,
And I have updated wiki with few links.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapeaugraphy

Fab
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Chapeagraphy / Chapeaugraphy (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL