The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Roberto Giobbi's Deck Switch Book (36 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of Sean Macfarlane
HERMETIC PRESS NEWS Order from us by midnight, April 21, 2013, and pay only $47!

The strongest card tricks most often depend on a stack or special deck. Unfortunately, if you start with a gaffed deck, as soon as you have accomplished the impossible feat, its very strength causes audiences to say, “Let me see those cards!“ With a deck switch, they can, because you just switched the gaffed deck for a normal one, which they can even take home! A deck switch can also allow you to start with an ordinary deck, convince everyone it's you and not the cards causing the magic—then you switch in your gaffed or stacked deck and unleash a stunning effect. Deck switches can create extraordinary, incomprehensible effects—as long as the switch isn't detected or suspected.

And there lies the challenge. Everyone knows about switching decks. We've all heard that card cheats do it, and magicians. In reality, though, very few magicians switch decks, because it is commonly perceived as too difficult to get away with. And since everyone knows about switching decks, even a suspicion that a deck switch might have occurred can completely undermine a performance. Therefore, if you use any deck switch, it must be not only imperceptible, but also unimaginable.

Roberto Giobbi teaches you precisely how to do this—standing, seated, with and without a jacket—using shrewd psychology, not knuckle-busting sleights or special gimmicks or apparatus. The only things required to do these professional switches are decks of cards and your pockets. Giobbi teaches dozens of methods for imperceptibly switching decks, along with the psychological principles behind them; principles that allow the reader to apply and modify deck switching techniques to suit any circumstance.

And along the way, Giobbi explains some very strong card magic.

As is expected from Roberto Giobbi, the techniques and tricks in this book are not pipe dreams. They come from his professional repertoire, sharpened by hundreds of performances and explained with all the detail only a world-class teacher can bring to a subject.

There is no other book devoted to this important topic—and it holds information that will be of tremendous value to beginning and advanced card magicians alike. The Art of Switching Decks is an in-depth study teaching over 30 deck switches and a few remarkable tricks—163 pages in hardcover.

ALSO INCLUDED
a DVD offering an eighty-five-minute show and lecture by
Roberto Giobbi,
showing exactly how various deck switches are achieved
in a live performance.
rasmus
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland
1690 Posts

Profile of rasmus
30 deck switches?

it would be just perfect, to show the best one or two. I don't think that I have the time
to go trough 30 different ways of switching a deck of cards.

one perhaps two of the best ones would be enough imo.

lookin' forward to some nice reviews
A World without Magic is a World without Dreams and Hope:)

Creator of: STEEL (performed by Dynamo), X-RAY, Real Coin Bend (performed by Dynamo), Totally Crazy Bands, Rasmus Haunted Deck, MCF CARDS, Jawbreaker, POLTERGEIST
www.rasmusmagic.ch
LiquidSn
View Profile
Elite user
New York
472 Posts

Profile of LiquidSn
How about learning new things to expand your knowlege into the craft you love? I'm guessing you don't have the time for that either?
Blog about magic. by me.

Http://www.doublefacers.com
rasmus
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland
1690 Posts

Profile of rasmus
I just don't feel the need to read a compendium about
all possible deck switches, that's all.

I'm sure that the magic community is lookin' for the number one deck
switch, wich is suitable to every one and easy to achieve.

if you don't like my comment, that's fine

btw: I put a lot of time in exercising good stuff, but I don't want to spend days
to read all the possible deck switches to find the one that suites my needs.

just my 5 swiss francs

btw: roberto is a fantastic teacher and author as well imo

Creator of: STEEL (performed by Dynamo), X-RAY, Real Coin Bend (performed by Dynamo), Totally Crazy Bands, Rasmus Haunted Deck, MCF CARDS, Jawbreaker, POLTERGEIST
www.rasmusmagic.ch
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1140 Posts

Profile of paperinick
Quote:

That doens't exist. Sometimes the best way to control a card is a pass, sometimes it's a false shuffle. Ortiz has written interesting things about choosing one vs. the other. Smile
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
rasmus
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland
1690 Posts

Profile of rasmus
Quote:
On 2013-03-14 17:12, paperinick wrote:
Quote:

That doens't exist. Sometimes the best way to control a card is a pass, sometimes it's a false shuffle. Ortiz has written interesting things about choosing one vs. the other. Smile

yes sure. you are right. but less can be more imo. times to short to go over every possibility. that's
why I said one or two of the best.

www.rasmusmagic.ch
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-03-14 16:36, rasmus wrote:

btw: I put a lot of time in exercising good stuff, but I don't want to spend days

just my 5 swiss francs

I agree.

Roberto is wonderful and good for him on collecting and publishing this work, but it's not something I would be interested in reading. I love magic, talking about magic, reading magic books and practicing. If I'm not performing Blizzard ( now, that's a deck switch ) I just put the deck in my pocket and take the other one out. Why wouldn't it be the same deck? If someone put their wallet in their pocket and then takes it back out, I'm never think they had two wallets. lol.
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1140 Posts

Profile of paperinick
A deck switch outside the context of a trick is not a deck switch anymore. Smile
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
rasmus
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland
1690 Posts

Profile of rasmus
Quote:
On 2013-03-14 18:07, Zombie Magic wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-03-14 16:36, rasmus wrote:

just my 5 swiss francs

I agree.

Roberto is wonderful and good for him on collecting and publishing this work, but it's not something I would be interested in reading. I love magic, talking about magic, reading magic books and practicing. If I'm not performing Blizzard ( now, that's a deck switch ) I just put the deck in my pocket and take the other one out. Why wouldn't it be the same deck? If someone put their wallet in their pocket and then takes it back out, I'm never think they had two wallets. lol.

you are totally right clarke. that's exactly what I do. put it away and
grab the other deck, that's all. works in sitting or standing situations.

I think on an old video tape back in the eighties, roberto showed a switch
with a handkerchief if I'm not wrong.

was also a very nice method. if you are a pro with your topit or sleeving, there
are also very nice possibilities to switch out a deck.

I'm very sure, that a non gimmicked version of a deck switch is much stronger then
any gimmicked version.

just my 5 swiss francs

www.rasmusmagic.ch
splice
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1252 Posts

Profile of splice
Quote:
On 2013-03-14 17:55, rasmus wrote:
yes sure. you are right. but less can be more imo. times to short to go over every possibility. that's
why I said one or two of the best.

Thankfully everyone's performance situations, requirements and routines are all the same, otherwise "the best" for one person wouldn't be "the best" for another. Now all we need to do is sit back and wait for someone else to do all the work and spoonfeed us the one answer we're looking for. Time is precious, after all.
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
920 Posts

Profile of Martino
I for one am excited about this book. The "best one or two" switches is a totally subjective statement. What might be the best two for you might not suit me and my performing circumstances at all! Therefore I'm glad that Roberto has taken the time and effort to put this together and I will studying each and every page to see what I think will be suitable FOR ME.
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
MKoeppel
View Profile
New user
Switzerland
76 Posts

Profile of MKoeppel
For those not sure, whether this book is for them:
Check out the Hermetic Press web-site. There you find the toc plus some example pages.

Best,
markus
Ramin
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of Ramin
I am looking forward to this book. I like Mr. Giobbi's ideas.
brehaut
View Profile
Inner circle
kentucky
2529 Posts

Profile of brehaut
If there were just one or two deck switches, then you would hear "I am tired of paying X dollars for a single move". You can't win
keeper
View Profile
New user
Kissimmee, FL
57 Posts

Profile of keeper
I watched his deck-switch lecture at the Genii Bash where he blew the room away with a succession of multiple deck switches. I missed out on getting his notes because they sold out before the lecture was even over. I have already put in my pre-order. No , I don't NEED 30 deck switches. But a half dozen of the PERCFECT ones for me might just be found here Smile
Make every day a magicial adventure

Al
Gene B
View Profile
Regular user
Sacramento, CA
195 Posts

Profile of Gene B
I also saw Roberto at the Genii Bash--and was one of the lucky ones to get the notes from him!!

Having a compendium of switches gives you many options depending on sitting or standing---out of a pocket in pants or jacket---and a number of situations depending on the routine you are doing.

Knowledge never hurts---but a lack of knowledge can show.

Roberto is a first class magician and a great guy!!

Gene
Gravity--It's not just a rule--It's the Law!
rasmus
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland
1690 Posts

Profile of rasmus
Quote:
On 2013-03-15 16:59, keeper wrote:
I watched his deck-switch lecture at the Genii Bash where he blew the room away with a succession of multiple deck switches. I missed out on getting his notes because they sold out before the lecture was even over. I have already put in my pre-order. No , I don't NEED 30 deck switches. But a half dozen of the PERCFECT ones for me might just be found here Smile

I was also on the lecture. did I miss something? deck switch lecture? he talked what I remember about dai vernon if I'm right.

perhaps he had 2 lectures?

www.rasmusmagic.ch
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Careful, Rasmus! You are rousing the Giobbi acolytes from their slumber Smile
rasmus
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland
1690 Posts

Profile of rasmus
Smile

don't worry my friend. I respect all the stuff that roberto provides to the magic world and I bought everything roberto produced till now.

I just think, that a handful of very practical deck switches would be enough.

perhaps I read too many books as a teenager?

www.rasmusmagic.ch
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
How many did you write? Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Roberto Giobbi's Deck Switch Book (36 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL