The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Fastest Gimmicked Strait Jacket Escape? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Kune
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of Kune
I'm planning to add a strait jacket escape to my show, but due to the way I'm doing it, I need to get it off as fast as possible (every second counts).
It will never be examined, and I will be taking it off out of view from the audience, so any gimmick is fine, so long as it's instant.

If anyone has advice on how best to gimmick the jacket, or the best to purchase, that would be great Smile
Please PM me any info that would be better off not on a public forum.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Bonza
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4468 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Velcro

Or

Poppers (the press stud type NOT the drug)

Sounds to me ..... Like what it looks like is more important to you. So it's a prop? Go to a prop maker or sew some straps on to the end of a jacket and put it on backwards.

Will you be confined in a tight spot?

I'm not convinced you need an escape as such so treat it like a costume, rather than a SJ for escaping.

Or add a proper SJ escape rather than an illusion?
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4468 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2013-03-15 18:55, Steve_Mollett wrote:
Bonza

Throw another kangaroo on the BBQ?
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Mmmmm--barbecued roo...!
- Albert Camus
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1488 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Don't eat the natives!!!!Steve.

Kune: Question: if you have to get out of a strait jacket that fast, what is the point of putting it on??? Any fast SJ removal smacks of not being real in time, jacket, or proper use of a jacket.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Kune didn't go into details; he said he would be concealed. Maybe he'll be secured in yet some other device, using the jacket as a preliminary restraint, and needs surety and speed for safety's sake?
The bonza or the DeVal jacket described in "Key to Escapes" would probably be the best bet.
- Albert Camus
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1488 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi Steve, I understand what he wants but I am just asking why? I am intrigued. Kune writes "add a strait jacket escape to my show", that suggests that the SJ is an element of the show. If he gets out really quick, why put it in the show? and if it is concealed (so any jacket is fine) what is the point?

I agree a Bonza is the go as Houdini invented it for tight places, least amount of effort and shape required. But if it's done too quick it becomes a trick, not a skill.

(panda burgers are nice)
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
As others.... I.m curious why this needs to be rushed.
There is no drama when you make it look too easy?
Kune
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of Kune
Thanks very much for the replies! The audience won't see that I've escaped for quite some time after the fact, but I need to get the dirty work out of the way asap for technical reasons.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1488 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Cool, thank you. Hope you not flooding up there.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Why not have Ian make you a steel jacket? it's impressive and you're time-constraint is negligible.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Velcro and snaps will make sound... dead giveaway... Also, regardless of how far away you may THINK you seem, fasteners are visible.

Hmmmmm, steel jacket? Full Metal Jacket? (awesome flick, one of R. Lee Ermeys best)
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4468 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Velcro is even louder if you have the sound crew leave the mike on at the wrong time! Smile

Any way Nipps he never said quiet or undetectable just fast!
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On 2013-03-15 23:49, Kune wrote:
Thanks very much for the replies! The audience won't see that I've escaped for quite some time after the fact, but I need to get the dirty work out of the way asap for technical reasons.

Sounds like a "Copperfield thing." I never did like that style. Smile
- Albert Camus
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Now that you mention it Steve....

FACT In today's market - People don't like it when you're out of sight.

If you're out of sight, they assume you have a razor blade or a hidden assistant releases you.

- - - -

So the premise of a "fast jacket" can not work A. If you escape in Full-View. B. If you're hidden.
The exception is if you're thrown in a river.
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
All due respect Jay, I've seen the LA river..... more like a giant sewer gutter but.... OH, NOW I get it.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4468 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Just watch out for the logs then!
Kune
View Profile
Veteran user
308 Posts

Profile of Kune
Thanks again! I think I have a method that will work for my situation, but I'll look at all the alternatives, in case there's something even better.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
To me, speed is a direct contradiction to good performance.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Fastest Gimmicked Strait Jacket Escape? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL