The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Critique of my video (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Okay, brothers and sisters in the Lord.....

I am posting a link here to my YouTube video of me doing the Zombie (although I call it "The Dream". It is a "neutral routine" in that it is done completely to music, so it can be modified for any audience. To tell a Gospel truth with it (such as the Resurrection) one would simply need to add patter, or music such as Dallas Holm's "Rise Again" or something like that.

Just looking for an honest (but Christ-like) critique from you guys and gals.

The video was shot with a Flip, so the quality isn't 100%, and my wife was watching me, not the viewfinder, so sometimes I am out of frame.

That being said...fire away!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl......O4Y2Cza8
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2486 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
MIKE- well if you really want some thoughts

firt and foremost it did not work for me. it was a ball under a cloth for 2 minutes. so what. ok that is the harsh part

you need to add several other moves then just doing the same thing for 2 minutes.

so here are some suggestions

start with the ball loose not on table
do the single hand move of the ball going up and down visibly while the cloth is draped over your arm
add a pass thru body move or vanish during the routine.

I understand you are doing this to rise again but there still needs to be elements of entertainment or a reason to keep watching.

I might even suggest looking to add a vanish at the end.

have the ball visibly float down to a small box and then into the box
then put the cloth and thingy away and pick up box and show it empty. thus the rise again

better yet start with the ball being wrapped and put I the box (grave) then remove ball but leave cloth (silk) then do the routine and then ball back to grave (box) open box and blow out silk (stratosphere box effect)

there just was nothing to what you did that said magic nor related to the song other then a ball on a stick under a cloth being lifted in the air. at least that was my impression. yes I realize that I know how it works BUT I don't see this fooling any one nor do I see it working the way it is.

if you want to brain storm with some of the thoughts I suggested or other thoughts you have feel free to email me, PM me or what ever me:)

by the way now that I am deaf I will say I do miss the version by dallas! I can hear it in my head.

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Sam,

Thanks for your thoughts. THIS version was not done to "Rise Again"...that was a suggestion to "gospel-ize" it. This was just done to a mysterious/romantic piece.

I agree with you on the routine. I was just not comfortable enough with the moves yet to "flower it up". I am in the process of re-routining it and continuing to practice the moves to perfect them.

I appreciate the thoughts and suggestions!

In HIS service,

Mike
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
Hi Mike:

If you haven't done so yet, I'd recommend studying various Zombie routines that are available. Tim Wright has a DVD out of his routine along with tips: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4YiNxyC7......ndscreen

I realize you are not looking for comedy, but I think there is something to be learned from any routine, especially from a pro like Tim.

Naked Zombie by Raymond Crowe(different method but maybe you would go this route!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O1D-uktSH0

Zombie Ball (World's Greatest Magic) - DVD

In regard to music, I would NOT "gospelize" Zombie with "Rise Again." I think it would be "cheesy"! Just my 2 cents!

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Terry:

I have both the Tim Wright DVD and the WGM DVD. Those were the "moves" I was talking about not having perfected yet. I also have Al Schneider's Zombie book.

I just got these things a couple months ago, and then all heck broke loose and just haven't had a chance to really work on it like I wanted to. I did the Zombie routine in my teen years and got pretty good with it...but that was before DVD's or even VHS tapes to be able to watch it done properly.

I agree with the "Rise Again" thing being cheesy, but I threw it out there as a thought...especially since I was posting on the FCM thread! Smile

Thanks for the thoughts...all of them useful!
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

Stephon Johnson
View Profile
Special user
Razorback Country
515 Posts

Profile of Stephon Johnson
Have a look at this old video. Notice how he makes the ball appear to move independent of himself, and apparently unable to anticipate it's movements. Moving in perfect sync with the ball is what comes natural to us, and a habit that must be broken! It shows we know where the ball is headed and says your are " leading" the ball.
Even when the ball is under the cloth, stand still, look at the audience, and let the ONLY movement be the ball apparently "running away" to left or right. Then REACT with the body being "pulled along" (similar to someone pulling you by the arm).
The strongest illusion is the ball leading while the body is motionless or reacting to the ball's movement.
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=related&v=jOSkcjrOE7I
WHAT IF you wake up tomorrow with ONLY the things that you THANK GOD for today?
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Stephon...definitely need to work on that. Thank you!
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

Vick
View Profile
Inner circle
It's taken me 10+ years to make
1120 Posts

Profile of Vick
See alll of tommy wonders work on the zombie ball. Both in the books of wonder and what he provided on video. He makes great suggestions on modifications for the zombie to make it look like a truly floats
Think about and work on how to make the ball appear to move independent of the hand
Unique, Thought Provoking & Amazing Magical Entertainment Experiences
Illusions By Vick
Blog of a real world working magician
Magic would be great, if not for magicians
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Thank you, Vick!
Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Good News! » » Critique of my video (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL