The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Brian Miller - 2013 Promo Video (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
There's a great thread going on right now on whether you can actually be both a magician and comedian. I humbly submit my new 2013 promotional video for the college market, as both magician and comedian.

http://youtu.be/CaEcBupPWRc

Enjoy!

Brian
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Nice one Brian.

The other thread was/is initially more about combining stand up comedy (as in stand alone verbally based comedy without any other bits and pieces, especially magic, involved) and comedy magic... There was only really one moment or line in the promo that I think could possibly count as a bit of stand up comedy... and even that line, given it's context in the midst of some magic action, is on wobbly ground as being what I think most people would think of as straight stand up comedy.

That detail aside.... your promo nicely makes the point that some (including me) were making in the other thread.... that is that it doesn't matter what you're doing in terms of straight stand up or comedy magic... or anything else come to that... as long as you're delivering the goods and meeting (and hopefully exceeding) your audiences expectations.

For me your promo shows you as a comedy magic act... One that's doing the job of getting big laughs and entertaining and astounding your audiences.

You're nomination for "Best Small Venue Performer" by Campus Activities Magazine nicely hammers that home too.

Like I said...Nice one and congratulations on the nomination.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Thank you for the kind words. To the question of doing stand-up comedy AND magic in the same show, yes you can, and I've done it for years. I don't show stand-up in my promo video because it would slow down the pacing.

But here's a video of assorted clips all taken from in between the magic bits in my act: http://youtu.be/3dZTdyk1U2I

That video is a couple of years old now. I used to do a solid 15 minutes worth of straight stand-up scattered throughout my 1 hr show, and now it's probably down to 8-10 minutes at most. My show/style has shifted over the years, but I still do it.
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
779 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
Brian, very nice promo. I did a lot of colleges back ..well, way back..lol. I did comedy magic too. I enjoyed your promo, and what I enjoyed the most, you treated your volunteers with care. Congrats on the nomination..I wish you the best.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Congrats Brian, good promo.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » Brian Miller - 2013 Promo Video (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL