The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » What other classic should I study to be well rounded (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
chucklerich
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of chucklerich
Ok, I am ordering a combo cups and ball set I can use to study both tricks and books that cover the classic cups and chop cups. Also I am getting a stripper deck and a book on self working card magic (to use with regular cards), as well as a book of tricks with a stripper deck.

What other classic would you suggest I study in order to be a well rounded magician(something I can do many tricks with). I was considering an okito box but I'm not sure there is a lot I can do with that.
Oberon_Puck
View Profile
New user
The Berkshiers
28 Posts

Profile of Oberon_Puck
A thumb-tip, Gary Darwin's encyclopedia of thumb-tip magic, and a lot of chutzpah.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4844 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Sponge Balls
Linking Rings

Larry Smile
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
1765 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
Nothing yet.

See how much you can get from what you have already and then avoid the mistake we all make of getting loads of junk we'll never use because we just get excited about it.

If you like card magic, work on a couple of sets (string a few tricks together in a logical way to make a set). Perform them for friends and relatives. See what works well for you and what does not. Are you a good comedy sort or do you work better with stories? Do your audiences like the cute tricks or the mind-blowing ones?

When you have a couple of things you perform well, add something new.

There are several classic tricks out there and loads of variations on them. Cups and balls, C&R rope, linking rings, spongeballs, silk vanish, T&R paper, miser's dream, billiard balls, and a few more, depending on who is writing the list.

When you are ready to move beyond what you already have, I suggest getting Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. Great value for dollar, there. By the time you have worked out a couple of new performance sets (even if your only audience is a group of friends now and then), you will know where you want to go to improve.

-Patrick
RogueTxn
View Profile
New user
Texas
56 Posts

Profile of RogueTxn
Chuckles - If you are in the states get a 50 cent piece or two. You can still find them, may have to pick em up at the bank. Grab Bobo's book. Learn the classic palm then learn to roll the coin across your knuckles. That will keep your hand busy all the time! Though as Mr. Woolery suggests taking time to practice a few things at a time will certainly be a better route to go.

~Rogue
boxjumper
View Profile
Veteran user
359 Posts

Profile of boxjumper
Billiard balls, coins across with a shell, rope routine like prof nightmare

BJ
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
The original basic OKITO BOX is very versatile prop. I personally, don't care for the 'modified' 'improved' boxes--although some performers love them. it's a case of personal taste--and concerning tastes, we cannot argue!

Most magicians that I've seen do it, don't know the'real work'. Dennis Loomis had a "twist" on the Okito box in a TOPS annnual back in the '60s. It was DYNAMITE, then--and would be today.

Mr.Woolery and Rogue Txn have passed along some very worthwhile thoughts.

I would add one more recommendation::: READ READ READ. BOBO, MARK WILSON'S ENCYCLOPEDIA, ROYAL ROAD TO CARD MAGIC.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
The Classics, to me.
Cups & balls
Linking rings
Egg bag
Cut & restored rope (Professor's Nightmare)
Chinese Sticks
Cards across
Coins through the table
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
foolsnobody
View Profile
Special user
Buffalo, NY
836 Posts

Profile of foolsnobody
Quote:
On 2013-03-16 22:08, Pete Biro wrote:
The Classics, to me.
Cups & balls
Linking rings
Egg bag
Chinese Sticks
Cards across
Coins through the table

What an *excellent* list! I don't suppose these effects can be found in Tarbell? Smile
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1754 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
All of those can be found in Tarbell.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5842 Posts

Profile of motown
Dye Tube and silks
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5944 Posts

Profile of george1953
If youre into cards The Royal Road To Card magic is a must have.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
sadhu
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of sadhu
For coin magic, Bobo's Coin Magic book is the place to begin.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
The Classics, to me.
Cups & balls
Linking rings
Egg bag
Chinese Sticks
Cards across
Coins through the table

Sheeesh, Pete! That's basically, my act!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
cupsandballsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
2706 Posts

Profile of cupsandballsmagic
Quote:
The Classics, to me.
Cups & balls
Linking rings
Egg bag
Chinese Sticks
Cards across
Coins through the table

Great list Pete! I'd like to add the ball and cone. Not because of the effect but because of what the effect will teach you about magic and performance.

I also wonder if the Bensson Bowl and Chop Cup have been around long enough to be considered classics too Smile
Bri
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Benson Bowl? Origins in China 2,000 years ago.... certainly a classic.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Oslund.... your handling of the dopey balloon pump is one of the greatest lessons in magic Smile
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
For those of you that don't know OSLUND was the master of re-setting stuff on the fly in his act. He would finish a show, go to the next and was already re-set.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5705 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Tricks aren't enough. We have to study presentation, theory, stagecraft, misdirection, etc. Study books that get you thinking.

Here's a few books to study:

Magic And Showmanship
Strong Magic
The Fitzkee Trilogy
Just about anything by Eugene Burger
The Tarbell Course

Unless you have a major physical handicap, don't shy away from sleight of hand. It will give you more flexibility than you would have with just gaffs.
chucklerich
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of chucklerich
Thanks to everyone for all the wonderful suggestions thus far. Perhaps a bit more information about my hands will be helpful. I've heard the type of hands a person has have a lot to do with what kind of sleights he can perform.

Whereas most magicians I have seen and met have "piano hands" mine look like a combination of sausage patties and tapered breakfast links. No matter how many hours I have practiced coin rolls or billiard ball production the props always end up rolling or flipping off my fingertips.

Half dollar size coins palm and finger cradle well in my hands but more than 3 coins and no matter how I try to make my hands look natural/empty they end up looking awkward/full. If I try using anything smaller than a quarter I find I have zero control of their (coins) movement.

If you want I'll try to get a couple good pics of my hands on here next to or with a half dollar. Let me know what "poses" of my hands you would find most helpful in giving advice.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » What other classic should I study to be well rounded (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL