The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Wand Length, Diam, Wieght, Tips, etc. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MoonBeam
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of MoonBeam
What are your favorite types of wands for all around use with close-up and walk around magic? I was curious to know what the different opinions everyone has in regards to length, diameter, wieght, one piece vs. two piece, materials used for body and tips, inlays, PK, etc.

Thank you
elgranmago
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of elgranmago
Not long ago I purchased Michael Ammar´s Mercury Wand. I am very satisfied with it. It´s about 13.5" and made of aluminum. What I find very useful is it is rubber coated which helps you keep a good grip for doing the spins often used for vanishes. It may not be as attractive as the "exotic wood" wands and might be a little cumbersome for walk around. It´s more of a "workhorse". My thoughts.

Have a look at it.
"It´s kind of fun to do the impossible". Walt Disney
MoonBeam
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of MoonBeam
Thank you elgranmago. I have the Mercury Wand but would like to make one out of one of the exotic woods. I realize to most, the details are usually personal preference. Just interested in the reasons behind the choices.

Thanks again
MoonBeam

P.S. Or any links to previous discussions.
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1123 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
I think that if you're looking for a totally "classical" looking wand, then something that's made of cocobola for the shaft and ebony for the ferrules (tips) is what you're looking for. I believe that this is what guys such as John Carney and Bill Malone are using.

I know that there are lots of threads on this forum concerning wands. Off the top of my head I can't think of any which have any pictures, but if you go to the Genii magazine website and look under the "General" section, there's a thread about Thomas Wayne (who makes excellent wands). GeorgeG (who's also a member on TMC) has a link to a beautiful picture of a wand that he purchased from Mr. Wayne.

In any event, cocobola and ebony are a nice combination. I've got a couple like that. I've also got one that has an ebony shaft with ivory ferrules.
GeorgeG
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, CA
978 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
Thanks MJ Marrs for the comments. I like light, thinner wands for better handling. I prefer two section for better storage. I adore exotic woods and beautiful inlays just add "class" to the wand as a whole and tells your spectator(s) something about you as a performer. The only drawback to such a wand is that it becomes more a work of art to admire and display.

I own several that I have purchased from Joe Popper and he is a wonderful craftsman, but my favorite is the Thomas Wayne "Malone" wand that I purchased from Mr. Wayne earlier this year. You can see images of this wand on Andy Martin's great site of his magic collection.

The pictures are good but trust me that the wand looks much better actually seeing and handling it.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
For a lower cost wand that is still good quality at a lower price, check the Ransom wands in regular and close-up size on the "accessories" page of my site.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
MoonBeam
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of MoonBeam
MJ. George and Scott,

Thank you for the information.

The pictures of the wands are stunning and I do like the idea of the "classic" wand.

I have a piece of ebony and old ivory piano keys from my father's piano we had restored and would like to make a wand out of this material.

What length and diameter are your favorites?

Do you like metal (silver) or softer tips (ivory, wood) to use with the cups and balls (tapping the cups)?

Thanks again!
MoonBeam
leefoley3
View Profile
Elite user
Texas
402 Posts

Profile of leefoley3
I own many. The majority are cheap inexpensive ones that I have had for quite some time. I've been wanting one of Ammar's Mercury Wands for a while. Perhaps after the holiday season I'll get one.

My favorite and the one that I use during performance is a wand I got from Brad Burt's shop (www.magicshop.com). It's a bit longer than the Mercury Wand. It's right at 14 inches long. The body is made out of dark walnut and it is a one piece wand. The tips are brass. The nice part in regards to the tips, is the fact that the body of the wand extends all the way into the inside ends of the tips, therefore, if you drop it you don't have to worry about breaking one of the tips off. I really like that aspect.

It is solid and has a great weight (although I don't know exactly how much it weights) to execute the various spins. It is PERFECTLY balanced. That, of course, helps with the spins also. I know that they are hand made but am unaware by whom. I'm not sure if Brad still has them but I would at least browse his site and if you don't see them, email him and he will get in touch with you.

All the best, Smile Lee.
In December of '06 I was diagnosed with a very rare cancer, Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans. One in a million people worldwide are diagnosed with this type of cancer annually. Sarcomas account for 1% of all cancers. Knowledge is power!
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
I prefer 3/8 diameter wands instead of the 1/2 standard. This makes it easier to load ladies finger rings on the wand. Also a polyurethane finish minimizes noise of rubbing of the ring.

The standard length is 14 inches. I prefer a full size wand, even for close up as it looks more in proportion to my hands and spins better. Small wands are cute, but that is not my aim. Also one of the principal points of the wand is to misdirect attention away from the hand. Shorter wands are not as effective at this.

I also prefer light tips over dark as that aids in the pointing at things. Also the light colored tips cause greater flash and distraction on a wand spin. I prefer wood or ivory tips rather than metal.

Shamrock is also another great supplier of wands.

Kirk Grodske
MoonBeam
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of MoonBeam
Thank you Kirk . . . Great, helpfull info!

MoonBeam
RiserMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of RiserMagic
FYI - a few different wands may be seen (top of page) at:
http://jamesriser.com/Magic/riser.html

These are examples only and are all sold. Wands are made only when time permits.
Jim
Decker
View Profile
Loyal user
Hades
211 Posts

Profile of Decker
This may be a dumb question, but can the wand makers (Wayne et al) make letter inlays? I don't mean like gold leaf but something like ivory. I would imagine that would be very difficult and costly if they do it at all, but Im curious... anyone know?
"He had alot to say... He had alot of nothing to say..." --MJK
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magical Accessories » » Wand Length, Diam, Wieght, Tips, etc. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL