The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » No Card Tricks Allowed! (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-03-22 13:58, TranMagic wrote:
Hey guys, so as I'm sure some of you know, there are quite a number of people that, when eating dinner at their favourite restaurant, can't be bothered to focus all of their attention towards the long and dreadful plots for card tricks that we all come up with.

So, I think this post should be for people to share ideas for tricks that are ideal for strolling that do not use cards.

A few of my favourites are:
Coins through table
Colour-changing knives
CMH

What are some of your favourite effects for table-hopping that do not use cards?

Actually....it's not the cards. They can't be bothered to focus all of their attention towards the long and dreadful plots for ANY magic.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20614 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Really? Card tricks are bad but a 100 year old joke that every magician uses about a clown nose will fly? Seriously?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Wallingford, CT
463 Posts

Profile of TKD27
Quote:
On 2013-03-23 21:17, Dannydoyle wrote:
Really? Card tricks are bad but a 100 year old joke that every magician uses about a clown nose will fly? Seriously?

What's the hundred year old joke? Not just the act of calling sponge balls clown noses, right? I mean... that just justifies their existence Smile People know clown noses exist. Magicians are somewhere near clowns in the entertainer spectrum, so there are a million ways to justify a magician credibly having a clown nose in his pocket. If your point, however, is that "card tricks aren't necessarily bad, it the presentation that makes it or breaks it," then yeah, I guess that applies to clown noses, too.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20614 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
People get bored with card tricks but want to hear the exact same jokes for hundreds of years. The sam stupid lines like the clown nose thing.

If you don't see the corelationi can't help
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1311 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I use blue sponge balls and make a joke that its a month supplie of belly button fluff. But some pepole make a joke of it begin a nose of a clown with a cold.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6021 Posts

Profile of motown
There are of course many presentations for sponge balls. It's a matter of finding one that works for you.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
MagicJuggler
View Profile
Inner circle
Anchorage, AK
1161 Posts

Profile of MagicJuggler
I do the sponge bunnies, making the first appear by collecting invisible bits of dust then rolling it into a ball for a gradual appearance and make it look like I'm shaping the mass into bunny shape. From there on I call them dust bunnies. The presentation I use must work fairly well as I've had a spectator that hadn't seen me perform in months ask specifically for the dust bunny trick. And this was an adult talking. Contrary to some magician's beliefs, the sponge bunnies work just as well for adults so long as the presentation doesn't insult their intelligence.
Matthew Olsen

www.mattolsenmagic.com

I heard from a friend that anecdotal evidence is actually quite reliable.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3249 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Zombie wrote:

Quote:
Actually....it's not the cards. They can't be bothered to focus all of their attention towards the long and dreadful plots for ANY magic.

Thanky you.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20614 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2013-03-23 20:29, Zombie Magic wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-03-22 13:58, TranMagic wrote:
Hey guys, so as I'm sure some of you know, there are quite a number of people that, when eating dinner at their favourite restaurant, can't be bothered to focus all of their attention towards the long and dreadful plots for card tricks that we all come up with.

So, I think this post should be for people to share ideas for tricks that are ideal for strolling that do not use cards.

A few of my favourites are:
Coins through table
Colour-changing knives
CMH

What are some of your favourite effects for table-hopping that do not use cards?

Cards are a tool. It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.

Imagine a cabinet maker blaming his hammer because the thing isn't squate.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
MikeTheKid
View Profile
Veteran user
vancouver
329 Posts

Profile of MikeTheKid
I do coin routines including production, 3 fly and coin cross .. I sometime do one coin routine too when I want to show to a larger group.

Rubber band is good too, ring and string or sponger are also works well Smile

Most of the time when I perform, I don't do card magic Smile
---------------------------------------------

Magic is a performing art that entertains an audience by creating illusions of seemingly impossible....

www.mikeliumagic.com
Daz Buckley
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
469 Posts

Profile of Daz Buckley
Quote:

Cards are a tool. It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.

Imagine a cabinet maker blaming his hammer because the thing isn't squate.

So true !!!!!
Remagicon
View Profile
Regular user
Somewhere over the Rainbow
124 Posts

Profile of Remagicon
Crazy Man Handcuffs routine. Simple and impromptu. No major props needed
"Ars Est Celare Artem"
It is art to hide art
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Wallingford, CT
463 Posts

Profile of TKD27
Danny, the clown nose thing isn't necessarily a joke, it's just a hook. A way to give a magic prop a reason for existing. It could be presented as a joke, or straight. A straight presentation might be something like, "my daughter has to play a clown in a school play, and I found her clown nose..."

Okay, that's not the best, but it's off the top of my head and just to illustrate my point. It only serves to justify the existence of sponge balls, which is an item that is really only manufactured for magicians.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20614 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Why the need to justify things? Does an accountant justify his calculator? Does a doctor jusiltify his stethoscope?

Professionals have tools of their trade. Why do magicians feel guilty about ours?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2467 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
Tough to beat Jay Sankey's Fan Mail.
TranMagic
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of TranMagic
Laymen don't know the purposes of all of our props; and that's part of what adds to our ability to impress them with magic. On the other hand, laymen expect accountants to be able to calculate things using a calculator, or for doctors to listen to heart beats and what not with a stethoscope.
Dimitri Mystery Artist
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel/Ukraine
355 Posts

Profile of Dimitri Mystery Artist
Quote:
On 2013-03-24 21:45, Dannydoyle wrote:
Why the need to justify things? Does an accountant justify his calculator? Does a doctor jusiltify his stethoscope?

Professionals have tools of their trade. Why do magicians feel guilty about ours?

maybe magicians feel guilty because they use cards because it is convenient and easy, it is easier to justify the use than to admit it to yourself. i´m not referring to all magicians!
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
725 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
Being a former clown, the clown nose reference works for me, it has meaning, it's not for everyone.
Aaron Smith Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1439 Posts

Profile of Aaron Smith Magic
Chop Cup, Sponge Balls, Ropes, Linking Rings, Bill to Marker Cap, CMH.
Fraser Gould
View Profile
New user
Tokyo, Japan
94 Posts

Profile of Fraser Gould
Charming Chinese Challenge could be added to this list. Sometimes have to be a bit careful with angles, but a great close up routine that can involve three spectators.
Fraser Gould
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » No Card Tricks Allowed! (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL