The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » No Card Tricks Allowed! (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Seriously? Still it is the cards fault?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
David Fillary
View Profile
Special user
662 Posts

Profile of David Fillary
Not sure who that is addressed to Danny, but if it was to my comment, I am not blaming the cards. I just personally don't enjoy practising card magic as much as other areas, and thus my other effects are better rehearsed and I devote more time to routining them - much like a lot of card guys' opinions on coin magic. Lots of people recommend the 3 routine set with a coin, card and close-up effect; I just thought I would see professionals' opinions on replacing the card routine with something else in various settings.
plink
View Profile
Special user
661 Posts

Profile of plink
Having Harlan's Vortex or Portabl Ink ready to add to the bottom of the deck allows you to perform card tricks that are quick, visual blasts, kids love them, parents are baffled and you have a deck that's easily cleaned up if you get the card trick vibe. Also would like to throw in that I've been using Geoff Williams sponge ball routine a lot lately. Well structured and can be stopped at several points if the food should come. That's handy!
Hansel
View Profile
Inner circle
Puerto Rico
2492 Posts

Profile of Hansel
Cards are not responsible for anything.
Now with a poker boom they fascinate people!
Its your job as a magician to decide what card tricks are good and appropiate
Right to the point for your audiences and which ones are good for you and the man in
The mirror.
Lot of card tricks will only live on the pages of a Book !
Follow Me...
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/Hansels-Comedy-and-Magic-Show-929625643774678/
Youtube: HanselSP
Twitter: @HanselSP
Instagram: HanselSP
vincentmusician
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
266 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
I am not a big fan of card magic. I like to perform using different Props. However, there are excellent Card Magic routines. The advantage is you can do a lot of Magic with cards, they are cheap and easy to carry. However, I think it is good for yourself and the audience if you mix it up with other forms of Magic. Cheers!
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1415 Posts

Profile of simplymagicweb
Magically,

Website - www.simplymagic.co.uk
Twitter - www.twitter.com/simplymagic19
Facebook - www.facebook.com/SeanGoodmanMagician

Creator of BDZ, Holidayz, The Grayle, DUO, Secret Servante, Genetics, Vision, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Were those an example of effects less boring than card tricks?

I have never understood why magicians use the name of the effect in the presentation of the effect.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Avocat
View Profile
Elite user
446 Posts

Profile of Avocat
I once worked a ballroom with a Super Sharpie and a Post-It pad

That’s where I stumbled across one of the strongest effects for young children.

I’ve mentioned it elsewhere, but just have the child throw up fingers and SG them.

I present it as the child correctly guessing MY number. Curtis Kam figures it’s because children just accept that adults have certain abilities, so you must present it as a demonstration of the child’s ability instead. Plays great with the kids and their parents.

For adults, I did a two-digit number and delivered a quick numerological reading leading up to the big reveal.

Sometimes, it can be beneficial to purposely hamstring yourself
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1415 Posts

Quote:
On Apr 17, 2021, Dannydoyle wrote:
Were those an example of effects less boring than card tricks?

I have never understood why magicians use the name of the effect in the presentation of the effect.

Hi Danny - I assume you're referring to my post? Didn't mention boring card effects? Just thought I'd post some non card effects that I use myself. I guess you're inferring that these are boring? Hey ho... Can't win them all!
Magically,

Creator of BDZ, Holidayz, The Grayle, DUO, Secret Servante, Genetics, Vision, Tick Tock, Starstruck, CelebriDate, MagiDate, Focus, SIGMA and R2R
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I inferred nothing. I implied nothing, you would have to infer it.

I'm more curious as to why you would use the commercial name of the effect in the presentation?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
simplymagicweb
View Profile
Inner circle
Norfolk, UK
1415 Posts

Another non card performance. CelebriDate performed at my lecture at the Magic Circle 2016 when I had hair!

https://youtu.be/WOOaVNaO0gs
Magically,

ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
[quote]On Apr 17, 2021, Avocat wrote:
I once worked a ballroom with a Super Sharpie and a Post-It pad

That’s where I stumbled across one of the strongest effects for young children.

I’ve mentioned it elsewhere, but just have the child throw up fingers and SG them.

Super glueing the child's fingers is an excellent way to keep him distracted.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
akashdeep617
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of akashdeep617
Carrying a Force Sight Svengali pad by Colin Cloud is really great to have.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
What bad jokes about a clown's nose are you referring to?

Quote:
On Mar 23, 2013, Dannydoyle wrote:
Really? Card tricks are bad but a 100 year old joke that every magician uses about a clown nose will fly? Seriously?
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2013, TKD27 wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-03-22 15:10, TranMagic wrote:
Sponge Balls are definitely a good one! I find trouble introducing them, though. "Oh hey guys, I've got these two spongeballs that I like to carry around in my pocket..." Also, they squish sometimes, which makes them look quite odd.

You can talk about how you once got in to a fight with a clown and stole his nose. Then explain to them the really interesting thing about clown noses, which of course we all know to be that when you squeeze them and put your finger down the center, they split in to two clown noses. Tricky clowns...

THIS is a 100 year old clown joke. I have no language in a card trick this ridiculous.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Hmmm... I usually pull out a sponge ball and ask anyone if they know what it is. I'll tell them it's not a clown's nose, cause it would have a slit down the middle so it would fit over my nose (usually put it on nose briefly) but I'm a magician, not a clown. Sponge balls have unique properties to them...blah, blah, blah.

I take advantage of the clown line to point with my index finger so that focus is on the pointing (to where the slit would be), not on the ball that hand is holding out. I also take advantage of the empty palm position (and the apparently empty hand that it suggests, even though a ball is being held out) that is displayed when I briefly pinch the ball and hold it on my nose.

Interesting thoughts on the clown nose line...

Card equivalent - Want to change your mind, no, happy with the mind you have. Or, I'll take the pen back, that's how I got it... Pick a card, any card...

Quote:
On May 17, 2021, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2013, TKD27 wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-03-22 15:10, TranMagic wrote:
Sponge Balls are definitely a good one! I find trouble introducing them, though. "Oh hey guys, I've got these two spongeballs that I like to carry around in my pocket..." Also, they squish sometimes, which makes them look quite odd.

You can talk about how you once got in to a fight with a clown and stole his nose. Then explain to them the really interesting thing about clown noses, which of course we all know to be that when you squeeze them and put your finger down the center, they split in to two clown noses. Tricky clowns...

THIS is a 100 year old clown joke. I have no language in a card trick this ridiculous.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Nowhere near as bad as the clown nose nonsense, but then again I only work for adults.

By the way those are two great examples of lines I don't use.

There is HUGE difference in lines magicians all use, like the change your mind thing, and things like the clown nose nonsense.

If they work cool do them. If the change your mind line works do it. I was just pointing out the irony of folks using lines like the clown nose and sitting in judgements of card tricks.

Best to just do what is best for you and don't judge others.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Fair points all.

I agree with you about stock lines. I guess that along with the natural misdirection, I always make sure to say it almost haughtily, like "I'm a Magician!" Then dismissively, "not a clown..." It makes me laugh a little inside to diss clowns every time I do sponge balls.

Quote:
On May 17, 2021, Dannydoyle wrote:
Nowhere near as bad as the clown nose nonsense, but then again I only work for adults.

By the way those are two great examples of lines I don't use.

There is HUGE difference in lines magicians all use, like the change your mind thing, and things like the clown nose nonsense.

If they work cool do them. If the change your mind line works do it. I was just pointing out the irony of folks using lines like the clown nose and sitting in judgements of card tricks.

Best to just do what is best for you and don't judge others.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Jack Skipton
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of Jack Skipton
I would never do a gig without cards because in my work I find certain things are more suited for certain effects. To elaborate, I use coins for production, vanishes and transportation. I use rubber bands for penetration effects and rope for restoration. I generally use cards for prediction, transposition and psychokinesis effects among others.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » No Card Tricks Allowed! (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL