We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » No Card Tricks Allowed! (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
TranMagic
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of TranMagic
Hey guys, so as I'm sure some of you know, there are quite a number of people that, when eating dinner at their favourite restaurant, can't be bothered to focus all of their attention towards the long and dreadful plots for card tricks that we all come up with.

So, I think this post should be for people to share ideas for tricks that are ideal for strolling that do not use cards.

A few of my favourites are:
Coins through table
Colour-changing knives
CMH

What are some of your favourite effects for table-hopping that do not use cards?
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3255 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Obligatory on topic answer:

Finger Ring and String
Sponge Balls

My heartfelt answer:
Ambitious Card
Dr Daley's Last Trick
Invisible Deck

Any routine can be long and boring. Don't exclude card tricks from your set just choose the right ones.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
726 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
I love card tricks just as long as you don't do too many. I was asked to do 2 tricks just a little while ago. Sponge balls and a card trick..a force and a double lift. That was enough and the reaction was awesome. You also can't beat multiplying rabbits. Check out Bob Sheets Does Hospitality..Volume 1.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6022 Posts

Profile of motown
You need to choose your card tricks wisely and give them an interesting presentation.
The I Hate David Copperfield Trick is a good one for instance.

Non-Card stuff:

Gypsy Thread
A Bill Change or Penetration
Tale of the Treasury Worm
Ring & Ribbon/String
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
TranMagic
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of TranMagic
Sponge Balls are definitely a good one! I find trouble introducing them, though. "Oh hey guys, I've got these two spongeballs that I like to carry around in my pocket..." Also, they squish sometimes, which makes them look quite odd.

Also, I suppose you're right. I do sometimes perform two card monte, and I often use the ID to close, but I still generally prefer to stay away from card tricks when I'm table hopping, because there will be people who, when they see a deck of cards, go 'oh no, not this again' (probably from seeing failed card tricks in the past), and they aren't as engaged in the card tricks as you'd like them to be.

Charlie, I'm not unfamiliar with card tricks. I've used them before. But I find that card tricks, with regards to the audience's perception of a trick, generally have the highest rate of failure. For example, they'll credit effects to the magician's handling of the cards, not to MAGIC. Or maybe they aren't willing to offer the attention needed, even for a simple transposition of two cards using a duplicate card and a DL. Of course some people receive card tricks VERY well, but many people do not, which was the purpose of this topic; to let people know about tricks and routines that do not require a deck of cards.
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1311 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
You need to make tricks easy to follow. Its good to stay away from the and here is your card, Now it gone oh its under the glass, its in my pocket, now it on the celling, oh look its fold up in not one not two but 3 envlopes. Its good to keep at shuffle your card there it is. Also be able stop and draw Focus helps. Example I do card thru silk. They chose a card the deck is shuffled and wrapped up in a hanky. I hold the hanky up near my face. This give time for every one focus recount what's happened so far. Also I do try not to perform while people are actually eating.

As for sponge balls. I use a purse frame which I explain as a purse made out of a black hole. Also sponge bunnies, the way I introduce these are I don't have a rabbit in the hat but I do have a hare in the nose.

Hope this add to the great advice already given good luck.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
bunkyhenry
View Profile
Special user
NYC Metro
825 Posts

Profile of bunkyhenry
What is a purse frame?
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Wallingford, CT
463 Posts

Profile of TKD27
Quote:
On 2013-03-22 15:10, TranMagic wrote:
Sponge Balls are definitely a good one! I find trouble introducing them, though. "Oh hey guys, I've got these two spongeballs that I like to carry around in my pocket..." Also, they squish sometimes, which makes them look quite odd.

You can talk about how you once got in to a fight with a clown and stole his nose. Then explain to them the really interesting thing about clown noses, which of course we all know to be that when you squeeze them and put your finger down the center, they split in to two clown noses. Tricky clowns...
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3524 Posts

Profile of Julie
Consider two copper/one silver coin transposition. Very visual, doesn't require onlookers to touch anything, looks like great manipulation, instant reset and can easily be routined to lead into another effect.

Julie
charliemartin
View Profile
Special user
Rapid City, SD
726 Posts

Profile of charliemartin
Introducing Sponge Balls? First never call them sponge balls, they are balls or clown noses. I think people love card tricks or Jon Armstrong wouldn't have a career. I think, we as magicians, do too many at one time. But for the purpose of this thread, anything that takes place in the spectator's hands is a winner.
AndyLuka
View Profile
Elite user
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
440 Posts

Profile of AndyLuka
Don’t call them sponge balls. In fact don’t call them balls or anything for that matter. People can see they are balls, don’t point out the obvious. It’s like saying "I have a stack of 52 individual pieces of cardboard here,"

Check out David Stones Sponge ball Routine. It’s very cool, very simple and only uses two balls.

Also I am a fan of Troy Hooser’s Coin work. I use a few routines of his from his book, As well as a variation of his bottle production, also in his book.
Other things I have or have had done that do not involve cards
Mini Chop cup
Floating Ring
Bill switch or Bill to impossible location (card box)
Anything with a thumb tip
A quick and short rope routine
Pressure (phone in balloon)
Making Magic and Fantasy a reality in a world where our reality can sometimes be rather cruel

Http://www.lukamagic.com -That's Me

Http://www.bigguysmagic.com -The Best Magic Shop
Daz Buckley
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
469 Posts

Profile of Daz Buckley
Coins - I have about 5 or 6 routines I alternate.
Ring and string
Flash bill to wallet
and many more.....

You don't need cards. But they are handy to have !
TranMagic
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of TranMagic
I like the idea of the purse frame, thanks! Also the 'I got into a fight with a clown and stole his nose', that's quite humorous, thanks! Smile

Ah, that's a good one, Julie! Are you referring specifically to the one that Greg Wilson teaches on 'On the Spot'?

A purse frame, like the one that comes in Steve Dacri's sponge ball kit, is like a coin purse, but without the actual purse, just the part that opens up, by itself. You can open it up and pull out anything you have palmed, ie sponge balls.

Again, charlie, I am not saying that people don't like card tricks. I'm saying that ordinary people who had no intention of watching magic, and are just out to eat dinner, may not necessarily enjoy card magic as much as they would other things, such as sponge balls, or coins. By no means am I saying that card magic isn't loved by many. People who go out with the intention of seeing magic would likely love to see a fair share of card tricks.

Thanks Andy!

I love David Stone! His sponge ball routine is great!
I've never seen Troy Hooser, or his coin work; I'll have to look that up.
Do you have anything I could refer to for floating ring?
Also, while I LOVE the effect of pressure, I really don't like how we can't hand it out afterwards. Well, as far as I know, the balloon wraps around the phone - Then what do you do with it from there?
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3524 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On 2013-03-22 21:12, TranMagic wrote:
...Ah, that's a good one, Julie! Are you referring specifically to the one that Greg Wilson teaches on 'On the Spot'?...

The routine I'm referencing is by J.C. Wagner and Bob Sheets as supplied with Johnson's Silver/Copper/Brass Transposition.
That's the one with a genuine faux Chinese coin Smile.

This is especially good for your situation because it all happens in your hands.

Julie
curtgunz
View Profile
Special user
Only 99% of users have more than
784 Posts

Profile of curtgunz
Quote:
On 2013-03-22 16:42, TKD27 wrote:

You can talk about how you once got in to a fight with a clown and stole his nose. Then explain to them the really interesting thing about clown noses, which of course we all know to be that when you squeeze them and put your finger down the center, they split in to two clown noses. Tricky clowns...

I find clowns too creepy.
Click for Free Resources for Performers

YouTube channel specifically for family & kids show magicians. Click -- You need to subscribe.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6022 Posts

Profile of motown
Chad Long's Flash

No Smoking

Both of these are versions of the color changing knives
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Ball sleights with two balls and a Hank
Giant paddle
Coin thru coin
Card to wallet (even though it's a card trick it has legs)
3inch coin manip
2copper 1silver
Ultimate ring and string
Jumbo ring off silk to jumbo watch
Weismans color cube
Quarter through pen
Ellis ring with the ring on/off/on thumb
Philip Busk
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Philip Busk
Sponge balls or bunny
Coins thru table or to glass
Ring string, ring to key chain, etc
Bill change or similar
Philip Busk
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
I do card magic as well as other kinds of magic but really what you do all comes down to how much room you have available on the table.
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Daz Buckley
View Profile
Elite user
Australia
469 Posts

Profile of Daz Buckley
Quote:
On 2013-03-22 22:34, curtgunz wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-03-22 16:42, TKD27 wrote:

I find clowns too creepy.

No mirrors at your place then ?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » No Card Tricks Allowed! (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL