The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Rings, strings & things Favourite borrowed ring tricks? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
DamienKeen
View Profile
New user
Southampton, England
69 Posts

Profile of DamienKeen
The only borrowed ring trick I can do is Pinnacle, but that is only efficient if there is about 3 or less people, and I would like to do a more versatile routine.

So what are your personal favorites and recommendations? I have just seen a demo of Greg Wilson's ring leader and that looked quite impressive.

Damien.
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Vxj,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
Greg Wilson's Ring Leader is plays great even to larger groups. You can't do it on stage or platform but it kills close up.
I like ring in nest of boxes for stage and platform work.
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
Rick
View Profile
Elite user
Va.
444 Posts

Profile of Rick
You can't forget ring flight.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24062 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I agree with you , Damien, mine is Pinnacle too. I just noticed it at a close-up convention this month.
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
Any good ring and string routine plays well for people. Ring Leader is a great resource to learn a lot of basic sleights and moves. But my favorite trick with a borrowed ring is Stiring Silver. It is basically a ring and wand routine using a spoon instead of a wand. it is on one of the best of Jay Sankey tapes.
skc417
View Profile
Loyal user
australia
226 Posts

Profile of skc417
What about Aronson's Ringleader? I do this quite often now. I watched the demo for Pinnacle and one of the phases look just like Aronson's Ringleader.

I assume the mechanics are the same, it's just a slight variation of the handling.

Simon
DamienKeen
View Profile
New user
Southampton, England
69 Posts

Profile of DamienKeen
Quote:
On 2003-11-22 22:49, Leeman wrote:
Any good ring and string routine plays well for people. ring leader is a great resource to learn a lot of basic sleights and moves. but my favorite trick with a borrowed ring is stiring silver. it is basically a ring and wand routine using a spoon instead of a wand. it is on one of the best of jay sankey tapes.

Is this the routine in which he penetrates the ring through the big end of the spoon? I am currently practicing this, from Greg Wilson's Off the Cuff. He uses the striking vanish after the penetration and reveals it in his pocket.

I think it will take a lot of work to make it convincing. Personally, I thought Greg over handled the penetration and it didn't look too convincing.
therntier
View Profile
Special user
681 Posts

Profile of therntier
Yes, Stirring Silver is a Jay Sankey trick. Greg's ring and string video as already mentioned is an awesome video. He also has a ring routine on On the Spot, but not as strong as some of the others mentioned here.

I would highly recommend David Harkey's Goldfinger. You place a borrowed finger ring on you finger, then visually penentrates your finger and ends up in your palm. Great effect.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Damien:

Look into doing the linking finger rings; it's a classic right up there with cups and balls, egg bag, bill in lemon, etc. etc.

Routines for it are in a number of classic books. I believe Billy McComb has an excellent routine in one of his books.

Ron
CSStanton
View Profile
Loyal user
Suttons Bay, MI
228 Posts

Profile of CSStanton
Funny you should mention this,
I have devised a fun routine using a ring, rubberband, and my fingers.

First, the "Ring Thing" by Garrett Thomas, then lead into the pull-the-finger-off gag, then ring on rubberband from Harlans Bandshark 1, finally his broken and restored rubberband. It plays well with my ring as well as others.
-Casey
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
Quote:
On 2003-11-23 08:19, DamienKeen wrote:
Quote:
On 2003-11-22 22:49, Leeman wrote:
Any good ring and string routine plays well for people. ring leader is a great resource to learn a lot of basic sleights and moves. but my favorite trick with a borrowed ring is stiring silver. it is basically a ring and wand routine using a spoon instead of a wand. it is on one of the best of jay sankey tapes.

Is this the routine in which he penetrates the ring through the big end of the spoon? I am currently practicing this, from Greg Wilson's Off the Cuff. He uses the striking vanish after the penetration and reveals it in his pocket.

I think it will take a lot of work to make it convincing. Personally, I thought Greg over handled the penetration and it didn't look too convincing.

The two effects are pretty much the same. I use a striking vanish to vanish the ring at the end and then have it reappear on the spoon again.
Insomniacs Dream
View Profile
New user
Port Glasgow in scotland
67 Posts

Profile of Insomniacs Dream
I love to levitate a borrowed ring, it floors them.

alan
If i never sleep wy does it feel like im dreaming
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
What is that? do you mean levitate, as in making it float?
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1444 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
I also make a borrowed ring ( if its not too heavy ) float using LOOPS.
DanielGreenWolf
View Profile
Veteran user
Waterbury, CT
363 Posts

Profile of DanielGreenWolf
I personally love Sonata for Ring and String by Jim Sisti. I use pieces of it as part of my walk around all the time and people adore it.

-Daniel GreenWolf
-Much love,
Daniel GreenWolf
Celtic Magician

www.GreenWolfMagic.com
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1239 Posts

Profile of Jeff
Check out "The Joining" a ring and rubberband link for only $5.00.
go to:
http://www.members.aol.com/pierce603/magic.html

Thanks
Jeff Pierce
Available for order now:
http://www.thecardwarptour.com

See new, used, and collectable magic and books for sale at:
http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I use the Anti gravity effect I found on a Jaw Dropper's Tape, where the borrowed finger ring travels uphill on an elastic band.

Another great impromptu, but oldie, is the gambit with the safety pin and shoelace. This is where a safety pin is placed on the shoelace and both ends are seen by spectators. Under cover of a man's handkerchief, the ring ends up on the shoelace.

I usually finish up with the pulling the safety pin across the handkerchief. (Old ain't it).

For a more formal show I have taken two of Al Schneider's OFF moves and combined it with one of the moves from the Relentless Ring & String. It goes over well.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
juan
View Profile
Regular user
Brazil
177 Posts

Profile of juan
1 - Ring appears in a nest of Russian Dolls
2 - Ring on shoe

3 - The one that the ring appears inside a bag that is inside a matchbox, that is inside a wood box, that is inside a bag...uff

4 - Routines like Ring Leader (Gregory Wilson)
david_a_whitehead
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
2122 Posts

Profile of david_a_whitehead
The Flying Ring...Gaetan Bloom's version.
Second is Aronson's Ringleader
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
I agree with Gregory Wilson's Ring Leader.
Awsome routine that meets every standard.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Rings, strings & things Favourite borrowed ring tricks? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL