The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » I've come up with a new technique with multiple MP.... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
vampiro
View Profile
Loyal user
Atlanta
240 Posts

Profile of vampiro
Frankly, I used to be on the money/fame bandwagon. I am not implying you are onto this. But it seems that success in other people's eyes is the goal. I did some t.v. appearances for a sport and later got all the money I knew what to do with. But in the past decade, somehow, I found out that I had learned the most from life by doing things I didn't always like, and that for me, having children and a family is a great treasure. I hate to say this, but often the most self-centered people who don't care about others actually make it. Remember someone in our field who was accused of trying to take advantage of a woman? It's not the crime itself I am trying to focus on, but this narcissistic me at the center world that exists in Hollyweird and such. Yes, I was around too many wannabee actors out there, so I think I really have experienced what a lust for fame usually does to people.
To me, the Beatitudes of Jesus are a better goal for finding happiness in life and eternally, instead of trying to find fame in others' eyes.
Most people who try to make a living by magic end up eating strange tasting fish sticks, and sometimes they aren't even fish sticks. All joking aside, I wish you and all the magicians the best. But it's better to allow fame and such to come to you, or to learn better, than to become fixed on it. I hope not to discourage anyone, but trust me, it has taken me a long time to begin to learn what matters in life. Wish all of my fellow magicians the best! I am not trying to lecture anyone, but perhaps am revealing how slow of a learner I am.
Scott
Hare
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of Hare
I am reminded of a high school guidance counselor I once encountered. He tended to always try and talk the musically inclined out of trying to perform music for as living. He considered being an artist a job for cripples, of all things. He actually said this to people's faces. The girls that visited his office were invariably pointed towards becoming teachers and nurses. He preached forgetting your dreams and pursuing "practical" job opportunities.

The ironic thing about all of this is that this short sighted, uninspiring and creative-crushing individual was miserable in his job. He hated what he was paid to do, and spent 30 odd years at pointing young, positive minds in exactly the wrong direction...encouraging them to settle for less, to not try to reach for the clouds and pursue what they loved. He was the anti-guidance counselor- turning young people away from what they actually loved and were good at.

I met him again must later in life after high school. I had completely ignored what he originally said, being somewhat bullheaded and loving art too much to be denied. I have gone on to eventual complete independence and success in my field of choice. I became, (horrors), a Disney cartoonist, a writer of fiction, a guy who taught guitar classes and had been paid to do magic tricks as my very first actual "job".

He was much more depressed and ill-spirited than when I first laid eyes on him- never quite realizing that his advice to thousands of young minds was precisely the worst advice he could possibly give. He was so sure he knew everything there was about getting a practical job that he was quite blind to what it was that he himself was miserable about....doing something you hate, every day, in and out. No fun, no skill, love, or caring about what it is you do every day. A job to this guy was something you hated but had to bear...period.

MOST people, I have found in my little carousel ride through life, HATE their jobs. They aren't there because they want to sell shoe polish or machine rifle parts or measure the temperature of spicy mustard....they are doing it because they feel they no longer have any choice. They have families to feed, and, it pays the bills- barely.

They go through their entire lives regretting not trying to get a job as a wine sniffer or jazz bugle player or papor-papper-paperaz- a person who takes pictures of movie stars. Whatever it is they truly love- somewhere down the line some ass who thinks he or she knows better tells them to get a "safe" job- whatever the hell that is.

The truth is, no job is safe when you hate it. When what you do for money is a burden, when you are miserable at your work, you aren't going to be very good at it. Not only will you spend your entire life wishing you had tried to follow your dream...you will also botch up the spicy mustard temperature and make some poor *** eating a ham sandwich ill somewhere.

Screw what people tell you about the awful impossibilities of making a living as a itinerate magician. If you become a conjuring sidewalk hobo, and don't so much care about money- if you are HAPPY in your magic enough to overcome other possible shortcomings...that is what matters. And there is always that possibility that in loving what you do, you will find a way to succeed, and actually make a living at it enough to buy a stone tudor-style house and live next to a sheep farm. I do, and I did it doing nothing but drawing little cartoon ducks. It's possible. When I went to college, no one offered classes on how to draw little cartoon ducks, but I did it anyways. Believing you can- and really loving to do something are the most important steps to starting on that journey.

These days, there is NO SUCH THING as a "safe job". Computers are making jobs obsolete. Bank tellers, grocery clerks, postal delivery people, and yes, teachers, are falling by the wayside as we find ways to do everything more "efficiently" anyways. The very few uber-rich are elbowing middle-class Americans into lower and lower paying jobs. The days of dreamy safe cushions where you stay in one place and do one job and have a safe life are part of some American Dream from the 1950s.

You might as well follow your dream and try- you at least do not have to wear the sad visage of that unwise, miserable old guidance counselor who never even tried to tread on a path of his own choosing. Life is short. You only get one ride for your ticket. Make sure your horse is of a color and countenance that you love.
"Better described in The Amateur Magician's Handbook"
Nick.Caress
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of Nick.Caress
Quote:
On 2013-04-03 12:36, Hare wrote:
I am reminded of a high school guidance counselor I once encountered. He tended to always try and talk the musically inclined out of trying to perform music for as living. He considered being an artist a job for cripples, of all things. He actually said this to people's faces. The girls that visited his office were invariably pointed towards becoming teachers and nurses. He preached forgetting your dreams and pursuing "practical" job opportunities.

The ironic thing about all of this is that this short sighted, uninspiring and creative-crushing individual was miserable in his job. He hated what he was paid to do, and spent 30 odd years at pointing young, positive minds in exactly the wrong direction...encouraging them to settle for less, to not try to reach for the clouds and pursue what they loved. He was the anti-guidance counselor- turning young people away from what they actually loved and were good at.

I met him again must later in life after high school. I had completely ignored what he originally said, being somewhat bullheaded and loving art too much to be denied. I have gone on to eventual complete independence and success in my field of choice. I became, (horrors), a Disney cartoonist, a writer of fiction, a guy who taught guitar classes and had been paid to do magic tricks as my very first actual "job".

He was much more depressed and ill-spirited than when I first laid eyes on him- never quite realizing that his advice to thousands of young minds was precisely the worst advice he could possibly give. He was so sure he knew everything there was about getting a practical job that he was quite blind to what it was that he himself was miserable about....doing something you hate, every day, in and out. No fun, no skill, love, or caring about what it is you do every day. A job to this guy was something you hated but had to bear...period.

MOST people, I have found in my little carousel ride through life, HATE their jobs. They aren't there because they want to sell shoe polish or machine rifle parts or measure the temperature of spicy mustard....they are doing it because they feel they no longer have any choice. They have families to feed, and, it pays the bills- barely.

They go through their entire lives regretting not trying to get a job as a wine sniffer or jazz bugle player or papor-papper-paperaz- a person who takes pictures of movie stars. Whatever it is they truly love- somewhere down the line some ass who thinks he or she knows better tells them to get a "safe" job- whatever the hell that is.

The truth is, no job is safe when you hate it. When what you do for money is a burden, when you are miserable at your work, you aren't going to be very good at it. Not only will you spend your entire life wishing you had tried to follow your dream...you will also botch up the spicy mustard temperature and make some poor *** eating a ham sandwich ill somewhere.

Screw what people tell you about the awful impossibilities of making a living as a itinerate magician. If you become a conjuring sidewalk hobo, and don't so much care about money- if you are HAPPY in your magic enough to overcome other possible shortcomings...that is what matters. And there is always that possibility that in loving what you do, you will find a way to succeed, and actually make a living at it enough to buy a stone tudor-style house and live next to a sheep farm. I do, and I did it doing nothing but drawing little cartoon ducks. It's possible. When I went to college, no one offered classes on how to draw little cartoon ducks, but I did it anyways. Believing you can- and really loving to do something are the most important steps to starting on that journey.

These days, there is NO SUCH THING as a "safe job". Computers are making jobs obsolete. Bank tellers, grocery clerks, postal delivery people, and yes, teachers, are falling by the wayside as we find ways to do everything more "efficiently" anyways. The very few uber-rich are elbowing middle-class Americans into lower and lower paying jobs. The days of dreamy safe cushions where you stay in one place and do one job and have a safe life are part of some American Dream from the 1950s.

You might as well follow your dream and try- you at least do not have to wear the sad visage of that unwise, miserable old guidance counselor who never even tried to tread on a path of his own choosing. Life is short. You only get one ride for your ticket. Make sure your horse is of a color and countenance that you love.

I really enjoyed this post. It is short enough that it deserves a re-read!
Octopus Sun
View Profile
Special user
Wiggle Wiggle
586 Posts

Profile of Octopus Sun
Kevin, Max gave you the chance of a lifetime. stop whining.
It's up to you to get your sh*t together and
do this yourself, not with Max's help. He did his job, He opened the
door for you, now you must step through, and grow up.
No one here is going to do this for you.
Stop your whining and get yourself cleaned up and
your butt in gear. Not many people get a chance like you
have been given by Max. You are not even a member, you are a guest!
No one is going to hold your hand and walk you through this,
you have made some serious claims as to your abilities, now go
prove what you claim. Stop bragging, you talk the talk, but your vids
show otherwise. seriously, Sit down and write your lecture, practice your routines,
speaking LOUDLY, why? your voice in all your vids is weak and soft, with no projection or confidence.
If I went to a lecture where a speaker talked like you I would walk in a heartbeat. There is
no enthusiasm in your voice...ever...even your post are full of
negatives constantly crying and whining. You seriously need to grow up if you want to be recognized
as a Real Magi, and not some show off throwing names around like Ponta's. No on cares
about all your name dropping. It will get you no where in this life.
If you want people to take you serious, then you must ACT the part.

10,000 hours does not make you this so called Master.
good luck.
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1463 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
Quote:
On 2013-04-06 12:47, Octopus Sun wrote:
show otherwise. seriously, Sit down and write your lecture, practice your routines,
speaking LOUDLY, why? your voice in all your vids is weak and soft, with no projection or confidence.
If I went to a lecture where a speaker talked like you I would walk in a heartbeat. There is
negatives constantly crying and whining. You seriously need to grow up if you want to be recognized
as a Real Magi, and not some show off throwing names around like Ponta's. No on cares

good luck.

WOW! I feel the exact same way just didn't have the heart to say it.
OliveroG
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of OliveroG
Quote:

good luck.

I have to say that this is the painful, terrible truth no one wanted to say.
I hope you understand, my dear friend, that everything you are seeing is a lie, but everything you are feeling holds true.
Zhang
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Zhang
Quote:

good luck.

Best post and the best advice one can give to a person to get him going.

Kevin, I highly suggest you read that post twice , you'll get something good out of it.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
4675 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I tried to be nice and go with the tough love approach, especially after some private conversations with some people who have just given up completely on him. But as usual, Octopus Sun hits the nail on the head and I think Kevin may start to realize its not the world against Kevin... It's Kevin against Kevin and I hope he shapes up and takes some advise for once instead of berating anyone who doesn't pat him on the back and join in on his pity party.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
View Profile
1988 - 2013
The Big Brother is watching you
1095 Posts

Profile of Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
[quote]On 2013-04-06 12:47, Octopus Sun wrote:

Quote:

show otherwise. You seriously need to grow up if you want to be recognized

I understand now better now, that no one is going to walk me through this, and I have to do something.
I'm just not sure where to start, to make my DVD all on my own. I don't have the equipment, I'm not sure what to do.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to "throw names around" like Ponta's. If I could go back and edit my post I would. I already apogolized, can you please just let it go?

I'm sorry for posting my videos. I didn't mean to brag. I hate bragging. That's not like me. I'm sorry if it sounded that way. You're right, my skills probably show I'm not very good. I don't know how to respond to this other than agree with you. I wasn't trying to whine. Again, I apologized for this. Can't you let it go? I realize I was whining.

I understand you're trying to help me and "tough love" and reality is sometimes what someone needs to know, even if it's not what they want to hear.

I'm very upset that you said my videos show I'm not good at coin magic (my videos show otherwise, you said.) I worked very hard at it, for many years. If everyone thinks that, there's no point in making more videos. This makes me extremely discouraged. I guess a lot of my coin magic encouraged me by trying to come up with new ideas on difficult coin magic. I was just proud of this, I wasn't trying to brag. Again, I'm not sure how to respond to your comment my videos show "otherwise", and if everyone agrees with that I see no reason to continue contributing here or posting here, honestly. This very much hurts my feelings (I'm not trying to critize you negatively, I'm just stating how I feel. I'm not trying to whine here.). Like I said, I see where you're coming from your other comments, besides the "name dropping" (I wasn't trying to say that, I think you're misunderstanding me. I didn't mean it that way. I was just stating how I felt.) and my videos show otherwise I'm not good at coin magic. Again, I'm wasn't trying to say I'm "the best" or anything. I never said that, and I'm not. It's just I worked very hard at my coin magic, it's hard to hear that after so much work and practice. if everyone agrees with that, I guess it's true.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8663 Posts

Profile of harris
The ups and downs of a performer are real.

Being on top doesn't make everything rosey.

When I was younger, I had many valleys, in between performances. Sort of like a rubber band effect.
The incredible feeling while performing, and then coming home and having to scrub the kitchen floor or do the laundry.

My wife tells me that she appreciated my not shrinking her good shirts in the wash, a lot more than being able to silently produce 5 coins one at a time from classic.

For those of you in the I.B.M. there is an interesting article on Rocco.

As I have quoted here and other places, Fame is only fame from a distance.

Also be careful what you ask for. After seeing many counselors present at conferences, I thought, "I can do that better". I worked up an hour workshop that folks appreciated. Then someone asked about a 3 hour workshop. At first I said, no, but they kept "upping" their offer. Last weekend I presented a 3 hour workshop for clinicians, and yes I used magic, music and other marvelous toys. It was nice, but traveling kept me away from my family. The next day, I got an email, suggesting I could do an all day workshop.

Coming up with a plan to have balance in my life, including family, friends and magic....priceless.

Call if you would like to chat.

Harris
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3631 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Its hard to showcase ability on a you tube video. First, the camera sees everything, inuding what you try to hide with misdirection. Flashes are common, and what may be missed in performance shows up on camera. Lights may cause reflections that wouldn't otherwise be revealed. And angles can make something look amazing that wouldn't even fly in the real world. So never never use a video as a guage of ability. Nowadays anyone with a store bought camera and the right software can make a dvd. However, to get people to buy it if that is the goal, is to get name recognition by publishing in magazines, lecturing, and appearing at conventions. Unless like Ponta you have a big company that backs you and promotes you. Further, there is a lot of crap out there by people who decide to make dvds. It becomes hard to filter through the coal to find the diamond. The important thing if you really feel like you have something good to offer is to believe in yourself. If you can't do that then you shouldn't expect anyone else to believe in you. And if you really believe in yourself, then you don't need to put up you tube videos and seek adulation from the masses who
likely know less than you. We all want our egos caressed, but we have to realize that not everyone is going to like what we do. So listen to criticism if that is what you want with an open mind, but never take it as a personal attack. I hope that I have made some sense here.
NEW MANUSCRIPT - TWILIGHT ZONE WILD COIN. All New!! As seen on Penn and Teller Fool Us! PM for details!
Rattle purse 2.0 now available! PM me for details!
New FOUR hour Penguin Live lecture TWO with 23 NEW routines, available for download at: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7338
Penguin Live lecture One is THREE hours long, and contains 18 coin effects! Available as a dvd or download from Penguin at http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/5960
New York Coin Magic Seminar dvd series available for download at: https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/magic-dvds/new-york-coin-magic-seminar-downloads/
NEW!! At The Table 2 hour lecture download OR DVD containing 11 routines, including THREE never taught before! Download and dvd avaliable at http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S22380 or http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S22833
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1543 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
To add to Michael Rubinstein excellent advise. Fish, Assuming your technique is good and you can teach, meaning speak intelligently, clearly explain the moves, and other factors, so far you showed mainly moves, not routines, because of that your potential audience is much more limited, I would always prefer to buy a routine that contain a move or two that just buy a move. Video yourself explaining something simple, ie retention vanish and send it to some of the members here so they can critize your teaching technique and give you advise. This should be the first step, if you are not good at teaching, maybe you need to start there, how to become a good teacher, you mentioned that you attend college maybe a class on education technique or acting or something of that nature.

Hope this helps
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2750 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Kevin is a very intelligent and talented guy and anyone with half a brain could see from his writing skills alone that he can deliver an extremely valuable lecture. He doesn't need to be a LOUDMOUTH like Octopus Sun to get ahead, because he's got a substantial foundation underneath the surface. His natural speaking voice is interesting and his authenticity will draw people in. The ones who can see and hear, that is. In terms of volume and projection issues, there are things called microphones a performer can use if required. Even the all powerful Smile Amazing Kreskin uses one of those. Pouncing on someone because he has the courage to express vulnerability is not something you all should be patting the Octopus on the back for. Kevin's honest expression of his vulnerabilities and awareness of his current obstacles is far more impressive than any of the so called "tough love" and cowardice exhibited here by the men who've got their so called s*** together, in my opinion. Take care, Kevin. There are people here who do care about you and will stand by you.
"Every thought you think, word you speak, and action you take proceeds from either love or fear. Peace and upset, innocence and guilt, healing and illness all spring from that one fundamental choice." Alan Cohen
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8443 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Not for nothing here but I think both sides care about Fish. Different approaches show different sides of dealing with all this.

Drill sergeants love their recruits just like mama ducks love their ducklings, and both sincerely want their broods to survive. Sometimes the touch is soft, sometimes hard. Sometimes it can come from the other side and still be meant with love. A kid falls and scrapes his knee perhaps his mom rushes to pick him up to console him. Through all the crying, his dad just tells him to get up and that he'll be alright. Who loves him more, his mom or his dad? Who told him right, who told him wrong? Who cares more? Who does the kid benefit more from?

Somewhat relatively speaking here, my grandpa used to say that if in a situation of life and death of a mother and or child during birth, a woman would invariably want a doctor to save the child's life, while a man would much more probably want his wife's life to be saved. In that, an inate difference between how things are dealt with, from side to side, shows itself in some of the most important of circumstances. I would tend to think that more times than not things somewhat naturally break along these lines. Perhaps the greater part here, in the different ways of caring, is in that so many here stopped to share with the greater intent to build up than to tear down.

Anyway, keep moving forward Fish. Always, cheering for you to win, as I believe most here are in their own ways.
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2750 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Win what, exactly, Marion? Kevin's way beyond the rest of us now, they say.
"Every thought you think, word you speak, and action you take proceeds from either love or fear. Peace and upset, innocence and guilt, healing and illness all spring from that one fundamental choice." Alan Cohen
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8443 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I've just heard this from another thread...Is this true?
*Check out my latest: MBs Morgan w/ BONUS: Destiny, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at www.VinnyMarini.com Smile

magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2750 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8443 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Da*n!

Oh my God.

J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5294 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
This is truly sad.

Can't help but to wonder if I could have done anything to help. Kevin will be missed.

Jim
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
6896 Posts

Profile of bowers
I doubt it Jim.Kevin has been on a self-destruct path
for a long time going.It is very sad news.
Todd
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » I've come up with a new technique with multiple MP.... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 1.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL