The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Hands on with the new lock from Ian McColl (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sparrowhwk
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Sparrowhwk
Gentlemen (and Ladies if they’re still around)

I have recently had the pleasure of getting to grips with Ian’s latest combination lock creation, the LAPSUS-Master, and thought I would share my impressions - these from a customer’s point of view. I will try to keep this “clinical”, even though I am delighted with my new toy.

I originally approached Ian about the Sub-Master, but after discussing my intended use, Ian suggested that he had something that would suit me even better.
The sub-master could have worked, but it has a specific purpose and I was looking for something a bit different.
I am grateful to Ian for taking the time to understand what I wanted, and for suggesting the best tool for the job – this is the benefit of working with a pro.

Ian’s new lock is based on the Master Lock Fortress model, dial combination lock which is often used on lockers, cabinet doors etc. This is an item many people are familiar with and is freely available in some form or another in most countries.

This is the first strength and feature of the lock – it is JUST A LOCK – nothing to be seen here…
(And if you wanted to – an off the shelf lock could be in play, if you know what I mean).

The second important feature of this lock is that an audience member can freely examine the lock, without the performer worrying about any “unfortunate” discoveries or mishaps. You can hand them the closed lock and let them try to open it without concern (you would not give them the combination when doing this of course).

The third feature is that when you have the lock within your reach (and without being able to see the dail), the performer has complete control over the moment of release.
Then, if you must – you can hand the lock back to the spectator (open or closed) and there is STILL nothing to see. If the lock is handed back closed, they STILL cannot open it (again, don’t give them the combination).

The LAPSUS-Master is a great item for the Escape performer. I will be able to drop this lock right into one of my current escapes, and it will add another level to the routine. I have also thought of several future escapes which will be able to make use of this lock, it has many possibilities.

For those who have been around a while, I would summarize the differences between this lock and preceding combo-lock versions by saying simply this:
The Lapsus lock allows for much greater inspection by a spectator, and a more convincing “authentication”, while still providing the security of complete control over the escape.
For those who are not sure how to incorporate the lock into a routine – an in-plain-view demonstration of blind combination lock picking would be one possibility.

If you want to know what the lock looks and feels like – the best thing would be to go to your nearest retailer and pick up the regular version. Ian takes great care to ensure that any “modified” item looks and feels just like the original, and this is no exception.

Finally:
This is another quality item from Ian that does its job well. It is a common item that can be freely handled by a spectator, but incorporates that touch of McColl magic that makes life so much better for the performer.

Great job, Ian – and thank you!!!

PLEASE NOTE:
This lock is new, and has not been in many hands yet. I know the UKEA’s have had a chance to play with it, but there is already some inaccurate information circulating from some others.
If you want the correct information and price – I suggest contacting Ian directly at his personal e-mail address (check his profile). I know from experience, that Ian does not like going through the PM system here when dealing with customers.
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
I agree with all you say - a great new product from Ian. When he sent it to me to show the guys at UKEA, it was just there, in a padded bag, that's all. It was locked, and I played with it for
an hour, and had to admit it had me beaten - and I work with locks all day.

Eventually I had to call Ian, and he told me the secret. I was amazed, and Ian was so happy that I didn't figure it!

I hope Ian's got a lot of time - he's going to be busy!!!
Doc Allgood
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, TX
156 Posts

Profile of Doc Allgood
Mick, don't feel so bad. I had to send Ian an email to get the 'secret'.
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
Dod- That's what makes it so good. Ian should send them all out without instructions!
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi, thanks for the positive comments. I sent the first few out to see what the response was to the method. It seem to have exceeded even my expectations.

Instructions are provided but are in an envelope so you can test it out first before looking at the cheat sheet.

Inquiries via my email (bottom of this post) don't PM here as I cannot embedd information in any PMreply.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
How does Lapsus compare to the Grismer.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Erm there different! I have a Grismer. It's not really a topic for the All Tied Up section as its not an escape item. Sure it can be used as one but that's not its purpose. From what I know of Ian's new lock it would be like comparing an x to a z (where x and z are two things that can't really be opiated .....say an apple to an orange)
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Hi Steven, I am currently working on a new combo lock for mentalists. As Dave says above, the two locks you mention are for two different forms of entertainment.

stay tuned for the progress of the new lock.

Ian
Sparrowhwk
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of Sparrowhwk
Steven
I have, and use both the Grismer and Lapsus locks.
I can only emphasize that these locks are very different in operation AND purpose. It is really crucial that before you make a decision, you think through how you want to use the lock in question. You would be much better off using the appropriate lock for the routine, rather than trying to make the prop fit a less than ideal routine.

That said, may I recommend the following steps:
- E-MAIL Ian McColl (not PM), and ask for the data sheet for the Lapsus lock.
- Review the information on this, and associated pages "http://www.thegrismerlock.com/grimserlock-g-4.html"
- Think carefully about your routine, and make your choice.

If you need additional information, you can PM me and I will try to help you with the choice, BUT - please understand that I cannot divulge the actual methods for these items - out of respect for the creators.

Simply put - as has already been stated - the Grismer works best for a mentalism routine, while the Lapsus Master is a great tool for the Escape artist.

P.S. The Grismer lock is good - but I would be tempted to wait and see what Ian brings out for mentalism. Ian's track record speaks for itself, and if he can come up with a mentalism lock - it WILL be good!!!

Good luck.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Well unlike Mr Sparrowhwk I will take a £10 pay pal "donation" and email you the exact method of operation for the locks!

I know I'm a tight fisted com artist who will sell anyone out for a few £......
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Two things......

1) a belated April fools!
2) *** iPad auto correct ..... Con-artist not com artist!
escape13
View Profile
Regular user
San Diego
103 Posts

Profile of escape13
Just received both new locks from Ian. I happened to glance at the instructions before trying the lock which ruined the frustration of attempting to open it myself. When I opened the lock I laughed very hard because it's so slick, so beautiful and so ingenious.
I read somewhere a while back and it's true. If Houdini were alive today Ian McColl would be his right hand man.
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice. -Joseph Dunninger - Mentalist
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Sounds like a nice lock. Just one question, can an audience member enter their own combination?

I only ask because if they can't is it still impressive for an EA to open a combination they already know?

I understand that most likely the lock would be used sight unseen by the performer. I just feel a little uncomfortable with it being my lock and my combination. I felt the same about the Cannon's full view metal box escape that used a combination lock that was cracked sight unseen. I always thought that particular effect would've been stronger if the EA didn't know what the combination was.
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Mick Hanzlik
View Profile
Special user
Mick Hanzlik
588 Posts

Profile of Mick Hanzlik
My thoughts too Ros, but what if you were chained and locked with the new Ian lock, and your hands were then placed into a bag?

Even if you knew the combination, you couldn't see it, so the audience would believe you were manipulating it.

We played with the lock at the UKEA meeting, and after lots of discussion, we came up with what you have just said. You must have been there in spirit!
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Not being able to see the numbers on the dial is what needs to be STRESSED.
When I perform the Tranquilizer Chair, I start with the head-enclosure locked, having one of the spectators work the combination:

Me: BUT--before you begin, CLOSE your EYES. Now, with your eyes closed, turn the dial right, stopping at 11...uh...is there a problem?

Spec: I can't do it with my eyes closed--I can't see the numbers...

Me: AH!!! Important point! If you CANNOT SEE the dial, it is VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE to work the combination, EVEN WHEN YOU KNOW IT! The dial is on the OUTSIDE--my head will be locked INSIDE! If I can negotiate the straps, I must then attempt to work the combination ENTIRELY BY TOUCH--SIGHT UNSEEN! Now then, with your EYES OPEN, please turn right to 11...
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
escape13
View Profile
Regular user
San Diego
103 Posts

Profile of escape13
Maybe we are analyzing this a bit too much. I don't care if it's my lock and my combination. It's like doing a water escape. There are going to be those few who are thinking that there's no danger there because if the EA doesn't come out in 3 minutes someone is going to pull the EA out. But the vast majority don't even think about that and are terrified. Most escapes are done without any spec inspecting everything. You gotta sell it." For those that believe no explanation is necessary. For those who don't none will suffice."
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice. -Joseph Dunninger - Mentalist
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Ian's Lapsus lock has my endorsement.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1493 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Looking thru cupboards on behalf of another EA, I have located two of my Lapsus lock, email if interested (don't PM here, I don't use it) imccoll(at)dcsi.net.au
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Hands on with the new lock from Ian McColl (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL