The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » "the chair" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dfrasure12
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of dfrasure12
Does anyone have any information on a routine called "The Chair"? It was originally utilized by Dwight Damon, the original Balloonatick.

It is apparently a comedy routine involving a wooden fold-up chair. How funny is it? Are there any clips of someone performing this? Thanks for your help in advance.

Sincerely,
David
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
I don't know that routine, but it reminded me of a routine I created while doing a laughology program at a detention center.

The room was an "echoey" gym with concrete floor.

I moved a chair to stand on and got a great sound.

Of course I had to try again and got a different tone.

The audience reacted positively so I went with it and

did a few minutes of musical magic and physical comedy

trying to sit in the chair.

It doesn't read funny, but it was a nice moment.

I forget to check this thread (now that's funny)

I am glad I did.

Have a safe and nearly normal HOYC.
Holiday of YOUR choice.

Harris Deutsch
Laughologist
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Jimmy Vee
View Profile
Regular user
Jimmy Vee
173 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Vee
I've heard of this routine and I think it can be really funny. It is a single prop and relies heavily on your acting ability, comedic timing, and how far you're willing to take it. The chair is gimmicked to completely collaspe under your control yet be fine when others sit on it.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3725 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Strangely enough, the thing you're talking about ("The Chair") is made by a guy named Steve Thomas (and it's NOT me, either) in the great Northeast U.S....it's a metal folding chair, not wooden, and in the right hands, it a darned funny bit! If you play your show too seriously, I wouldn't try it, but in my show, it works perfectly. You can find 'em used for around $125-$140...new, they're $150 directly from Steve. Very durable prop, with lots of comedy potential. Send me an email, and I'll tell you the best place to find one. By the way, I'm in Mississippi...there, that proves I'm not THAT Steve Thomas

Steve
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12196 Posts

Profile of John C
I've been looking for one. Steve told me about a year ago that he wasn't currently producing them. Maybe times have changed.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
I used to use one in my kids shows. Back in the day. I brought out the chair as I was introducing rocky the racoon. Claiming I was about to bring out a wild animal and we all needed to stay quite as to not frighten him. Then I would have problems with the chair making the kids laugh. Every time I would shhhhh them. Ending with the chair collapsing making a huge bang. SHHHHH!!!

Giggles ensued.
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
Christopher
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of Christopher
Does anyone have a link to this item?
C Christian
View Profile
Loyal user
288 Posts

Profile of C Christian
This is a great Item I just recently retired it from my show I had it in there for 5 years. I almost hate seeing it go. I got mine from Steve and I was very glad I did. Great prop lots of great potentional.
Cheers Chris
The Village Idiots
View Profile
Elite user
Orlando
464 Posts

Profile of The Village Idiots
I picked mind up from Stevens Magic Eporium.
I have no idea if they still carry them?

We are going to do a charity show for Give Kids The World in a few weeks. Think I'll throw the chair back in the show. It should be fun. I thank this post for reminding me how fun of a routine it is.
Some are born idiots.

Some are made idiots.

Some have idiocy thrust upon them.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24272 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Didn't W.C. Fields or Charlie Chaplin do something with a deck chair in an old silent movie?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
FrJohnBlaker
View Profile
New user
Fr John
4 Posts

Profile of FrJohnBlaker
Michael Bentine (a 40s and 50s British comedian) did a wonderful chair bit. It isn't magic as such, but what he can do with essentially half of the back of a wooden chair...
The routine is an extended story in which the chair-back becomes every prop.

The bit is in a 1952 movie called "Down Among the 'Z' Men". There's a long sequence near the end where the characters put on a show for some troops. The bit has very little to do with the plot of the film nor with the character that Bentine is playing (a mad scientist).
John R Blaker
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5112 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I'm looking for one of these, if anyone knows where to get one.

Please PM me.

FYI: I just had a note from Steve Thomas. They're in production again, wiht updated design.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
RonCalhoun
View Profile
Special user
Independence, KY USA
597 Posts

Profile of RonCalhoun
I have "The Chair" It's a great prop and a lot of fun to use.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » "the chair" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL