The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » All Quiet in OZ (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
There seems to an unprecedented "silence" regarding the Aussies sporting excellence..following the events of Yesterday!!

Howard
magicjosh2
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester. UK.
134 Posts

Profile of magicjosh2
Swing Low Sweet Chariot.
What a wonderful performance from the boys.
Smile
Best Wishes,
Mark
Welshwizard
View Profile
Loyal user
Wales
292 Posts

Profile of Welshwizard
I was secretly rooting for the Aussies. Flaiming Pommes!
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Yeah, but the Kangaroos did keep the Rugby League Cup after winning all THREE Games!! and after all though not as popular, That really is The Man's Game.

Howard
Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
It was my birthday yesterday, and so foregoing my annual lie-in to watch England deservedly win was a marvellous present.

I know the pom-bashing build-up was a bit much (no worse, though, than the rubbish in some of OUR papers before important football matches against Germany), I applaud the Aussies for the gracious way they accepted defeat - the stadium remained full for the presentation of the trophy.

Yeah, it's tempting to gloat, but I guess now that we've actually won something, we should endeavour to be good winners. I'm sure it'll come with practice Smile.

Regards,

Caleb Strange.

P.S. Why is it that our Association footballers can't kick with both feet?
-- QCiC --
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
As you say Caleb..£100,000 a week and comments such as .." the ball came to him on his wrong foot" or "he is a left-sided player". Such ineptitude and they train every day.
Mind you Caleb..I'd settle now for any of our players (LUFC)to be able to kick with any foot!!

I think I'll have to admit "Vans yer Man"

cheers
Howard
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
Yeah, its been quiet here in NZ for about a wee while now!

Sad to see the Cup leave the Southern Hemisphere! Hasnt happened for a while (Never I think would be more accurate!?)

Congratulations to the English, well played!
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
Chris Boyd
View Profile
Regular user
Mansfield, TX
155 Posts

Profile of Chris Boyd
Ok, I give up...Which teams in which league or tournament are you talking about?
Chris Boyd
"Jaws dropping is the sweetest sound..."
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
As an aussie who watched it live here in Taiwan, I must say it was a great game. It could have gone either way right to the end. I also thought the Aussies were gracious in defeat, which is a good thing. Jonny Wilkinson is a super player that's for sure.
I guess you have to give the Poms a bit of a hold at the trophies for a while or they'll be wingeing for ever! HA! Just kidding!
JoJo
Magic guy in Perth Australia
Chris Boyd
View Profile
Regular user
Mansfield, TX
155 Posts

Profile of Chris Boyd
Never mind, I found it...you can tell Rugby isn't one of the sports we play in Texas.
Chris Boyd
"Jaws dropping is the sweetest sound..."
magician81
View Profile
Loyal user
singapore
293 Posts

Profile of magician81
The english was much better, frankly speaking. they could have finish off the aussies by 80 minutes, but they dig themselves a big hole to cover up by constantly making handling errors, n giving away stupid penalties. but I must said that d aussies really fought till d last moment, kudos 2 d aussies.

but I guess with someone like Jonny Wilkinson in yout team, you do really have 2 fancy your chance right?
never try, never know
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
1042 Posts

You may be right on a couple of points, but the bottome line is it's a team sport with 15 players each. It takes a team to win big games.
As for the English being able to finish them off in 80 minutes, well I think you don't have a good grasp of the game there my friend. You even mention the very reasons why they couldn't finish them off in 80 minutes. Anyway the English won in the end, but by a team effort.
JoJo
magicjosh2
View Profile
Regular user
Manchester. UK.
134 Posts

Profile of magicjosh2
Nice to see the Australian press making up for last weeks comments.

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_841056.html

An editorial addressed to England fans said: "Regarding your magnificent football team's 20-17 triumph in the Rugby World Cup final on November 22, on behalf of all Australians, we would like to admit the following:

"You were not too old (although we hoped you would be when the game went to extra-time). You were not too slow. You scored as many tries as we did. You kicked no more penalty goals than we did. You ran the ball as much as we did. You entertained as much as we did.

"You did it with one of your own as coach (even though he did spend some formative years playing at Manly). You are better singers than we are (and just quietly, Swing Low, Sweet Chariot is growing on us, as is Jonny without an "h").

"You played with class, toughness and grace. You were bloody superior. You are, for the first time in 37 years, winners of a football World Cup. As a result, we believe Twickenham is a most fitting home for Bill (the cup), though we humbly remind you that, unlike the Ashes, you have to hand it over if you don't win next time.

"We will no longer characterise your fans as beer-swilling, pot-bellied louts or knife-wielding hooligans and try to remember the sporting and enthusiastic supporters who did so much to make the final memorable."

Sydney's Daily Telegraph, which printed a voodoo doll of Jonny Wilkinson and issued 'Stop Jonny' T-shirts, also apologised. An editorial said: "Jonny is unstoppable. To ignore his greatness would be unconscionable."
Best Wishes,
Mark
magician81
View Profile
Loyal user
singapore
293 Posts

Profile of magician81
Quote:
On 2003-11-24 13:07, JoJo wrote:
You may be right on a couple of points, but the bottome line is it's a team sport with 15 players each. It takes a team to win big games.
As for the English being able to finish them off in 80 minutes, well I think you don't have a good grasp of the game there my friend. You even mention the very reasons why they couldn't finish them off in 80 minutes. Anyway the English won in the end, but by a team effort.
JoJo

in this case, my words n views are being twisted n slapped around, cos I said something that is open to attacks from front n back....hahaha..... each has its own views, it will be foolish for 2 grown men to argue over something which was history.

yujie
never try, never know
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
1042 Posts

I agree with you about the 2 grown men part. Mai yo wen ti! Swan Le! I live in Taiwan and speak Mandarin, do you? If so let me know.
Hsieh Hsieh,
JoJo
magician81
View Profile
Loyal user
singapore
293 Posts

Profile of magician81
Hahaha.......yup.....i'm a chinese.......
never try, never know
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
1042 Posts

Hi there Magical,
Hey do you perform in Chinese or English? I perform mostly in Chinese (Mandarin) with only a little English. What kind of magic do you perform? I mainly do family style of platform magic. As a family we also do clowning, with juggling, and unicycle stuff.
JoJo
jonesc2ii
View Profile
Loyal user
Oxford, England
235 Posts

Profile of jonesc2ii
Did we win?

Just kidding! OK, it's all very nice and everything but it's not much of a world cup that has only eight teams who are any good and four of them are British!

Well done to the team, they have achieved all they could, but do we have to have it on every news bulletin almost a week after the match? And did ITV need to show the whole match three or four times as well as highlights shows?

Over reacting? It couldn't happen here!

Now, can we get back to the real games of soccer and cricket? England might not be the best in the world, but at least I know what's going on. Even the players don't seem to know the rules of rugby.

Smile
www.ixyl.co.uk/forums - for when you fancy a debate or a quiet chat.
magician81
View Profile
Loyal user
singapore
293 Posts

Profile of magician81
Quote:
On 2003-11-27 07:03, JoJo wrote:
Hi there Magical,
Hey do you perform in Chinese or English? I perform mostly in Chinese (Mandarin) with only a little English. What kind of magic do you perform? I mainly do family style of platform magic. As a family we also do clowning, with juggling, and unicycle stuff.
JoJo

haha...just a hobbist starting out...performing for frends n family only....it takes time but I'm sure I will make it one day...still have much 2 learn from u...

cheers,
yujie
never try, never know
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Rugby Union... the only game where the crowd handle the ball more than the players!!.
How come, if the objective of the game is to score Tries, that most games at International level have nearly all the points scored by penalties..seems there must be some basic flaws in the rules.
why don't they:-
a) get rid of the two "flankers
b) do away with line outs
c) have a set number of tackles before giving the ball to the other side, or then kicking down field.

get my drift?

Smile Smile

Howard
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » All Quiet in OZ (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL