The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » All Quiet in OZ (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
Hmmmm, sounds suspiciously like another sport Howard......

I think rugby is a great game (although I have played soccer all my life), and has become more of a 'spectator sport' in recent years, with teams seeming to place more emphasis on running the ball, rather tahn kicking or rolling mauls.

Like any game, if you have a team to support, anything can be exciting (just look at cricket!!)
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Chris,

...teams placing more emphasis on running the ball..

maybe in the Southern Hemisphere not here I'm afraid.
and yes you are correct... another "sport" where the ephasis is wholly on running the ball.

My team "Castleford" had one of your fellow countrymen
playing for them a few years back..Tawera Nikau (probably spelt incorrectly). He went back home after his wife committed suicide and earlier this year lost a leg in a car accident.

cheers
Howard
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
Howard,

Good point about the hemispheres! I think it may have something to do with the fact that we no longer havea decent kicker on our team!
The All Blacks used to be famous for their kicking game, and pushing the ball over the line....pretty boring to watch, but effective.

Of course Rugby was always one of the most manly sports on the planet! Its got a bit softer more recently, but some of our great heores from yesteryear were know to play with some fairly gruesome injuries...Torn testicles, broken arms, broken ribs etc.

Tawera Nikau was a great player, and he is now involved with some youth programs etc. Very insiprational considering his recent misfortunes.
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
Speaking of playing on with an injury, Bert Trautman, the former Manchester City goalkeeper, once played (and won) an FA Cup Final, having broken his NECK in the first half of the game.

Regards,

Caleb Strange.
-- QCiC --
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
The sad thing about that Caleb is...I remember seeing it on TV..the days when you had to draw the curtains to see the 12" screen. Ahhh! those were the days ..charging the keeper...tackling from behind...passing back to the keeper...muddy pitches...

Howard...potential Division 1 supporter!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » All Quiet in OZ (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL