The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The media can legally lie (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Woland
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of Woland
WBAI was a lot better when it featured a weekly 15 minute talk by Ayn Rand. Not that I could understand a word of it, but I did understand that she was being deeply contrarian. Against both the mainstream, and against the little eddy of countercultural useful-idiotism that the rest of WBAI represented. There were other great talents on WBAI back then, too, including Julius Lester and the guy they had on in the morning. What was his name?
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On 2013-03-30 13:21, RobertSmith wrote:
Remember when Fox edited the George Zimmerman 911 call?
Or how about when they edited Michelle Obama's inaccurate comments about guns so she wouldn't sound like a bafoon?

Oh wait....

I love the irony of misspelling buffoon.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On 2013-03-30 14:43, Woland wrote: There were other great talents on WBAI back then, too, including Julius Lester and the guy they had on in the morning. What was his name?

You're probably thinking of Larry Josephson. Those were indeed great days at WBAI--Margot Adler, Bob Fass, Steve Post, Paul Gorman, James Irsay, Robert Knight. Robert Knight and Fass are still there. And of course there is the tremendous work of Gary Null with his health and nutrition issues show every weekday. He sometimes seems to be far out there with his views, but if you look at his track record over the years, it's clear he's been ahead of the curve much of the time, probably wrong 15%, right 85%. Other current broadcasts include the erudite literature analysis of Simon Loekle, the Bway show tunes played by David Rothenberg (founder of the Fortune Society), The Personal Computer Show with Hank Lee and Joe King, Off the Hook (about hacker culture) with Emmanuel Goldstein, Democracy Now with Amy Goodman, Explorations with physicist Michio Kaku, GOlden Age of Radio with Max Schmid, and on and on. There's nothing else quite the same as it in the world! If you are not in the NY-NJ-Connecticut area, you can hear it on the Internet. Support Free Speech Radio!
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2013-03-30 14:48, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
Or how about when they edited Michelle Obama's inaccurate comments about guns so she wouldn't sound like a bafoon?

Oh wait....

I was going to be polite and not mention it.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I was going to back the winner of the 2.30.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2013-03-30 09:21, tommy wrote:
If people did not have rights to distort and deliberately lie on the public airwaves then we would not have any magic on TV would we?

Magicians are not trying to tell us news and current events.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2013-03-30 12:20, Dannydoyle wrote:
Blah blah bla. You hate Fox blah blah. Get a new song guys. President Obama won!

Personally, I'll get a new song when the Fox supporters acknowledge that their shining knight actually went to court for the right to distort and lie about the events.
And I'm perfectly aware and happy that Obama won. That fact hasn't stopped Fox News from being neither ''fair'' or ''balanced.''
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
Quote:

Oh wait....

So this is one of those times where it is ok to deflect and distract when he makes a very valid and substantial point instead of addressing his very valid and substantial point?

Care to address his point or just want to pretend spellcheck is witty?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Quote:
On 2013-03-30 15:35, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-03-30 09:21, tommy wrote:
If people did not have rights to distort and deliberately lie on the public airwaves then we would not have any magic on TV would we?

Magicians are not trying to tell us news and current events.

Why not?

Is it a secret..
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Quote:
On 2013-03-30 15:38, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-03-30 12:20, Dannydoyle wrote:
Blah blah bla. You hate Fox blah blah. Get a new song guys. President Obama won!

Personally, I'll get a new song when the Fox supporters acknowledge that their shining knight actually went to court for the right to distort and lie about the events.
And I'm perfectly aware and happy that Obama won. That fact hasn't stopped Fox News from being neither ''fair'' or ''balanced.''

Looks like they didn't go to court for the right to distort and lie, they went to court because they were sued.

I wonder if failing to report major news stories when it might reflect badly on the President would be considered distorting and lying by omission?
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
I wonder what is truth

Tommy
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On 2013-03-30 15:57, tommy wrote:
I wonder what is truth

I seem to recall a pilot asking that question some Easter long ago.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
A rather pompous pilot, as I recall...
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-03-30 15:54, NicholasD wrote:

Looks like they didn't go to court for the right to distort and lie, they went to court because they were sued.

Yes. Went to court because they were sued for firing people who refused to lie or distort facts, lost, appealed, and then based their appeal on their right to lie or deliberately distort news reports on public airwaves.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Quote:
On 2013-03-30 16:06, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-03-30 15:54, NicholasD wrote:

Yes. Went to court because they were sued for firing people who refused to lie or distort facts, lost, appealed, and then based their appeal on their right to lie or deliberately distort news reports on public airwaves.

They based their appeal on a law that holds true for all of the news outlets.
RobertSmith
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of RobertSmith
Quote:
On 2013-03-30 15:49, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh wait....

So this is one of those times where it is ok to deflect and distract when he makes a very valid and substantial point instead of addressing his very valid and substantial point?

Care to address his point or just want to pretend spellcheck is witty?

Of course they won't address the very valid and substantial point. That would involved them acknowledging their side of the argument is weak and unsupportable.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-03-30 16:24, NicholasD wrote:

They based their appeal on a law that holds true for all of the news outlets.

Yes, and so what, that makes it better?

It may hold true for all news outlets, but Fox is the network that was sued for forcing its employees to lie. Have any other news networks been tarred with that brush, ever been accused of doing the same?

If you think it is A-Okay for news networks to lie and distort news, then I am happy for you. Personally, I do not think it is okay. And I am not about to defend any network (Fox or ABC or NBC or CBS etc.) that acts in that way. Why do you appear so dead set on defending Fox?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
It's the obvious legal strategy, as it renders the rest of the plaintiffs' case moot.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
I am not denying that. It renders the plaintiffs' case moot, but at the same time the network does not deny the plaintiff's charges and tacitly admits that it told its employees to lie and distort the news. I find that ridiculous but I guess that's just me.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I haven't delved into the case, so I don't know if there are any records of such admissions, but adopting that defense is not an admission of any such thing. They're saying, "Even if we HAD done that, it wouldn't be actionable.". If court rejects that argument, then they'd move to the merits of the case and argue (presumably) that that's not what they did.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The media can legally lie (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL