We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » What is it? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3643 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I have a set of 6 - 24" square acetate "Silks" 2 red, two yellow, 2 blue.

They seem to be professionally made.

Could it be an acetate set of Sympathetic silks?

I'm hoping to sell it for a friend but I don't know what it is or how to price it.

Thank you.

-Mary Mowder
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8270 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Mary>>>
Jim Jayes' mother made up some similar sets of "silks" for 'he and me' about 5 + years ago.--Although, I think they were 27".

Jim had seen my knot routine (includes symp. silks) liked it, and those colors. You might ask Rosalie.

I had gone to poly esters about 30 years ago--they stand the gaff better than magicians' silks. Slydini used rip stop nylon for the same reason. Slydini was a tailor, and made up his own for use, and for sale.

If you need instructions for symp. silks, lemme know.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Because of the colors, I would suggestthat it is not sympathetic silks which is usually also only 4 silks.
I would sell them as 24" silks only as without a routine that is what they are.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8270 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi magicians~

Ha! I beat ya by a few years!!! I've been 'at it' for almost 68 years. So, there! Hee hee hee! You are 'correct' if you only go back to 1950 +/- a year or so.

Originally,the sympathetic silks routine was "standard" with six silks. That's how I learned to do it in the mid '40s. Abbott's sold a mimeographed manuscript for fifty cents(!) My mother made the necessary "silks". I used the six for several years. The routine played fine.

THEN,the late AL BAKER wrote up HIS routine using only four silks. (About 65 years ago) His feeling was that the bit moved faster and wss just as effective--I tried it, and he was right. I've done it Al's way with four silks ever since. It is just as effective as it was when I used six.

I've always carried six (red, yellow and blue). --Yellow is standard, Depending on backdrop color, and/or jacket color either the red or the blue are used.

Mary hasn't replied yet, but I would take a chance and bet that Rosalie Jayes (my favorite 'bag lady') made them.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21851 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
That brings up an interesting point. Magic Inc. sold a set of 4 scarfs, rayon, for the Charlie Miller Sympathetic Silk Routine. I think he called it something else with knots. I did not like only 4 scarves, so I sold it off.

So did Charlie Miller steal an Al Baker creation?
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3643 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
These could have been made by Rosalie Jayes.

I'll ask her if I have time before the sale tomorrow.

Who ever buys them will need to get their own instructions.

I made some of this kind of "silks" for high wear effects that don't need to pack too tightly many years ago.

They wear like iron, so as long as the buyer uses them in the right situations they will be buying a wonderful set of "silks" that could serve for many different uses.

Thanks guys.

-Mary Mowder
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » What is it? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL