The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » BEST Self Working Card Trick with No Setup / Gimmicks (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
papawemba
View Profile
Special user
656 Posts

Profile of papawemba
Quote:
On 2013-06-16 14:57, TheMag1cian wrote:
Timely Departure (John Bannon)! Lovely effect!

Yes but if deck is borrowed, you need to count how many cards...less impromptu ;-)
DollarThief
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of DollarThief
You could do Clock of Doom by John Bannon instead, which doesn't require you to count the cards but isn't self working.
KokoB
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of KokoB
On Roberto Giobbi's Card Collage DVD there is an effect he calles Belchou Aces Revisited, I think its great & I believe it is another take on The Spectators cutting to the Aces. Then he goes into a great poker deal.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
The Biddle Trick, uses a minor sleight, practically self-working. You can add in false counts etc., but not necessary.
WalterPlinge
View Profile
Veteran user
357 Posts

Profile of WalterPlinge
Quote:
On 2013-06-16 14:57, TheMag1cian wrote:
Timely Departure (John Bannon)! Lovely effect!

My favorite changes a lot but right now I would pick this one.
B.W. McCarron
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, WA USA
262 Posts

Profile of B.W. McCarron
At a magic club picnic some years back, Harry Lorayne once showed me his Impromptu Out of This World from "My Favorite Card Tricks" (1965). Like a lot of performers, I had this book in my library, where the effect remained hidden until it was brought to my attention by the author.

Wow!
a brown 1968
View Profile
Elite user
471 Posts

Profile of a brown 1968
Hello everyone ,

I have often been told that self working card tricks with no gimmicks are dull, repetitive and only for hobbyists or newbies and not real workers.

Personally I have never prescribed to this general point of view . However the proof is in the pudding as they say and so I put together am effect which met the following criteria .

Borrowed shuffled deck
No gimmicks
No manipulation to the cards I.e nail nicks , cri*ps etc
No stooging or duality
No set up
No memorisation
Spectators can burn your hands
Pretty much impossible to back track

The above are the standard criteria met but I wanted to set a higher bar

That leaves a long lasting impression on the audience
When asked for a repeat performance it can be done with no fear of the audience becoming any the wiser as to how the impossible is done
An effect good enough for a pro to put in their working repertoire

The effect in question is "The Crusade " and already has a 7 page thread in the latest and greatest with numerous reviews and testimonials which show an ungimmcked self worker can stand equal to a sleight of hand effect

What I did no expect was for the effect to be doing so well on the best magic release of 2013 .

Long live the self worker !!!

Andrew
KevinKM99
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of KevinKM99
"Devastation" from Geoff Williams is exactly that.
Jiceh
View Profile
Special user
France
742 Posts

Profile of Jiceh
Richard Vollmer has a lot of good self working tricks.
You can find some of them in Apocalyspe...

He wrote a lot of books (compilation from others magicians and creation by him) on the subject but most of them (maybe all) are in french
James927
View Profile
Regular user
Nor Cal
164 Posts

Profile of James927
+1 for Aldo Colombini site to pick up Killer Koncepts for only $10. Thanks for all your suggestions Vlad-77.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Quote:
On 2013-08-02 03:08, a brown 1968 wrote:
Borrowed shuffled deck
No gimmicks
No manipulation to the cards I.e nail nicks , cri*ps etc
No stooging or duality
No set up
No memorisation
Spectators can burn your hands
Pretty much impossible to back track
That leaves a long lasting impression on the audience
When asked for a repeat performance it can be done with no fear of the audience becoming any the wiser as to how the impossible is done.
An effect good enough for a pro to put in their working repertoire.

The above criterion also works with Spellbinder's Impromptu version of Grant's Slate of Mind, as described in his e-Book in his Mini-Mysteries Book 1 treatise on "Evolutionary Slate of Mind." Any borrowed shuffled deck may be used, as can any slate or substitute a writing pad for the slate. At the end, all the cards are back in the borrowed deck and all can be handled by spectators (read "examined"). Can be presented as a card trick or as a mentalist's prediction or brain control. The outcome is different each time it is performed.
liormk
View Profile
New user
71 Posts

Profile of liormk
I think Harry Lorayne's Stop! falls into the category, an AMAZING effect with very little effort in my opinion, quite ingenious.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Follow-up from my August 27th post:

Wiz Kid Qua-Fiki just made a video demonstration of Spellbinder's Evolutionary Slate of Mind. In the video, he's using a Dollar Store slate as a prop, but this can easily be replaced by an ordinary pad of paper, as described in the e-Book found in our Mini-Mysteries Book 1 on The Magic Nook.
Dallas Robbins
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of Dallas Robbins
Whoever brought up Con Cam Coincedincia, thank you! Just checked it out, and it is quite good - one I'll use a lot. Great effect
robbie mcgrath
View Profile
Loyal user
Ireland
233 Posts

Profile of robbie mcgrath
"think stop" would have to be one that's very ez to do , no set up at all , you can be handed a deck and go right into it , RRTCM , an impossible turn over card in deck from which the spec only taught of ,
gets my vote
Mr. Danny
View Profile
Loyal user
North Central Louisiana
249 Posts

Profile of Mr. Danny
Rouge De Noir, From a old Abbotts catalog. Not even listed on the web site any more.
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
An Impossible Conclusion by John Carey– An amazing effect. It is a very clean trick where a card vanishes, and reappears on the spelling of the word Impossible. It does not sound like much, but is amazing to laymen and very visual can be done with any deck of cards in fact you don't even need a full deck.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Once you've done a trick a couple hundred times.... aren't they all basically self-working?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
merlin2812
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of merlin2812
I must agree with "An impossible Conclusion" by John Carey... An amazing trick!
It is not completely self working, but there is nothing difficult to do, there are some great principles inside, the trick itself is really great, you can use a borrowed shuffled deck (which I always love since you are really clean), it is always ready to go, no complex procedures or counting, all in all, have a look, you won't be disappointed!

merlin
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Snidini
I just came across this one recently by Andrew Normansell called "High Five" and must say it is quite a fooler and looks impossible. The spectator does most of the work and gets surprising results. Easy to do but has the look and feel of real magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » BEST Self Working Card Trick with No Setup / Gimmicks (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL