We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Another Egg Bag qustion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1311 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I have a great topic running about using the egg bag while busking. Also there are already great topics covering routines.

But in the busking topic people have spoke about it once was used to produce several eggs. Also people talk about decks of cards begin produced from it.

So my question is apart from the one egg one bag routine what else has been used?

Please put any information on were I can find the resource.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
troppobob
View Profile
Veteran user
Crescent Head Australia
372 Posts

Profile of troppobob
G'day Alan - I conclude my egg bag routine with the production of a giant orange head lice egg.
It looks a lot like a 2 inch orange coloured sponge ball.
What follows is a nice transition into my sponge ball routine.
Bob Latta (aka Troppo Bob)
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
The "original"egg bsg was LARGE--about 15" X 15"--effect was PRODUCTION OF A 'WHOLE BUNCH' OF EGGS. I first saw DE YIP LOO do it in 1954--it was FUNomena!

Michael Caveney has 'revived' it (again!) and does a very nice routine with it. It would need reloading, thus I don't think it would be too practical for a busking situation.

Various dealers,over the years, have introduced "improved" versions of the egg bag. Example: U.F."Gen" Grant brought out his 'chicken egg bag' sbout 60 years ago. At the finish, the performer would turn the bag inside out for the last time to show the audience 'how it was done' (?), The bag 'turned into' a cloth 'chicken'. Yes, it got a laugh--BUT--to me, it was WRONG. One of the 'big' points with the bag:::'it's just a simple cloth bag, no 'trapdoors' etc. With Grant's finish, you've put the heat on the bag. (Oh, it's a trick bag!)

It's an EGG TRICK! It's NOT A BAG TRICK! Like a coin pail, the pail is important for the audio illusion, but, IT'S A $$$ TRICK, NOT A PAIL TRICK! Thr bag can be compared to a FOO CAN! (they both accomplish the same thing!)

Billy McComb's routine: He produced and vanished, a shot glass of whiskey. It was excellent. (Obviously, not for kids)

Danny Tong 'revived' the production of a glass of 'liquid' for a 'finish' Great!

But, basically, THE PERFORMER IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE PROP! (I guess I've said THAT,before!)

It's just a vanish, production,vanish, etc. etc. --A SIMPLE BASIC EFFECT! (HO HUM!?) THE ENTERTAINMENT COMES FROM THE 'BUSINESS' THAT THE PERFORMER PUTS 'INTO' IT!!!!! Go look at Bob Blake's performance again!

In this post, I have rewritten material, that I wrote up in 'your' previous threads on the egg bag. Go back and read them again!

The EGG was used--'originally'--because it was obviously FRAGILE. Doing the routine with a golf ball, in my mind would be "meh" (Yiddish). IT'S AN EGG TRICK!

I guess I'm a 'traditionalist', but, I had good mentors! AL BAKER, said: "MANY A GOOD TRICK HAS 'DIED' OF IMPROVEMENTS"!

KEEP IT SIMPLE! MAKE IT FUN! (Amen!)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
What I like about the egg bag is that you do a trick with an egg. this is a fragile object but also a different and original object for an audience. we magicians know the egg bag but for an audience it is new. it is amazing to watch such a thin bag and produce a fragile object like an egg from it. even if the egg is wood it is still an egg and so fragile.

don't explore the possibilities of the bag, explore the possibilities of your personality. this trick can teach you to be a better performer and entertainer.

p.s. Dick, thank you.

p.p.s. an idea: make a marked coin dissapear. show the bag empty - produce an egg - crack open the egg and in the yolk is the marked coin. "coin to impossible place"
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
651 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
Quote:
On 2013-04-02 08:24, Dick Oslund wrote:
It's an EGG TRICK! It's NOT A BAG TRICK!
The EGG was used--'originally'--because it was obviously FRAGILE. Doing the routine with a golf ball, in my mind would be "meh" (Yiddish). IT'S AN EGG TRICK!

Amen!

I have seen two great climaxes to this trick.
The first is the one that Robert uses; where the spectator produces the egg.
The second is Luis de Matos; where he produces a baby chick. [It's so obvious - why didn't I think of that!]
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5370 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Good ol' Sam Berland used, made, and sold several egg bags that produced a ton of different items. One of his egg bags produced several cordial size glasses of brandy and a very large pilsner style glass of foaming beer.

Another bag/routine ended with the production a large rubber, gag, chicken. He also had routines that ended by producing large (over four inch), foam dice.

His bags were large by today’s standards and really better for platform work (although I saw Sam perform his beer production in a living room.

Historically, some of the first references have not only eggs, but coins, mugs of mulled wine, and ending with a live chicken. This performed in the 1700’s at fairs
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
[quote]On 2013-04-02 08:30, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:

"...don't explore the possibilities of the bag, explore the possibilities of your personality. this trick can teach you to be a better performer and entertainer..."

Write THAT on your wall 100 times! --and then MEMORIZE IT!

I'll be back, after my second cup of coffee with a few more thoughts about "le sac d'oeuf" (don't tell my old French teacher that I said THAT!)
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/de-biere/query/magician

de biere egg bag 1933 - yes that old.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2770 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2013-04-02 12:37, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:

OK, there's the "holding the wrists" that Hay mentions in "Handbook."
Wow, that man is tiny, isn't he?

I saw video of Harry Blackstone Sr. doing the trick. He does the first part and says; "Now I'll show you exactly how I do it... of course I will!"
I'd seen stills of Harry Sr. but never saw him work before. I don't know where I thought Harry JR. got that deep majestic voice from, but I never expected to hear it coming out of that little white haired old man!
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On 2013-04-05 19:52, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-04-02 12:37, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:

OK, there's the "holding the wrists" that Hay mentions in "Handbook."
Wow, that man is tiny, isn't he?

I saw video of Harry Blackstone Sr. doing the trick. He does the first part and says; "Now I'll show you exactly how I do it... of course I will!"
I'd seen stills of Harry Sr. but never saw him work before. I don't know where I thought Harry JR. got that deep majestic voice from, but I never expected to hear it coming out of that little white haired old man!

So, I had 16 cups of coffee (see my last post above)!

Yes, Ed, many egg baggers have used the holding the wrist bit. I haven't seen TOMSONI do the bag in ages, but I'm quite sure that he does it, too. Now, I'll go check one of the Stevens tapes!) I did enjoy seeing DeBiere do it in the video. He is a 'little' guy, isn't he? I wish he had been shot doing it with a live audience. His presentation, now, of course, seems very old fashioned!

Re: Harry Sr.: That "little white haired old man was considered to be the Ziegfield of magic! When he did the 'DREAM OF PRINCESS KARNAK', the theatre was as quiet as a Cathedral! (until he styled at the finish) Then, the applause was terrific. With all the illusion rigging, THAT VOICE was a major part of the illusion! His 'Dancing Handkerchief' was great theater! You should have seen his 'Boy and Rabbit'!

Sadly, in his latter years (after the "show of 1001 wonders" had to close in April 1950 due to his failing health)he still had to make a living. I remember a tape I saw of him in which he did trick after trick before a camera in a studio (with no audience). It didn't, IMHO, show the true Harry B. that I first saw in 1945!

Sorry, if I have briefly hijacked this thread. Mr. B. was, indirectly, one of my mentors. Harry Jr. was one of my friends.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
The late John Novak wrote a treatise on the EGG BAG a few years ago. Anyone thinking about doing the bag would, I think, find it worth reading. John describes and discusses every style and type of bag that I can recall.

"Senor" Mardo's idea of vanishing the egg from the OUTSIDE of the bag (he is credited with the idea in Harold Sterling' catalog in the early '40s)IMHO "revolutionized" the egg bag! It's what "turned me on" to doing the bag, and I've used Charlie Mardo's idea since 1951.

Ken Brooke wrote up the Miller/Malini egg bag handling, and anyone thinking of using that style of bag should read it. PLUS! he should watch Johnny Thompson (TOMSONI) do it on one of the Stevens tapes.

Jeff Busby also wrote an excellent treatise on the Sterling bag. It includes a comedy routine that is good. I can't remember the name of the guy whose routine it was. Oh! Jeff also sold a very well made Sterling bag. I believe Martin Lewis sells a good one, too.

Stevens has a tape with Tom Mullica's hilarious Malini bag routine, Martin Lewis's Sterling bag routine, and I can't recall who else, it's worth the $$$.

Now, please excuse me. I'm going back up this thread to watch Bob Blake's egg bag routine, AGAIN!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Another Egg Bag qustion (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL