The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » David Blaine on TV tonight! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Geoff Weber
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington DC
1359 Posts

Profile of Geoff Weber
I thought there was some very strong magic on this special. I really liked the watch steal and the restored beer can. The pole jump was a bit anticlimactic, maybe if there was some twist at the end... like if it didn't play out exactly the way he said it would, maybe he could have vanished from the top and reappeared on the ground. That would have been good.
dukenotes
View Profile
New user
Winchester, KY
70 Posts

Profile of dukenotes
I was more entertained by the Blaine special than anything else I could have watched in that time period. I also have it on tape.

There's one thing I'm wondering; do you suppose some of the specs are planted by the Blaine team? Like the people on picnic that happened to have the beer can ready for David? Or the spec with the bandana which David used to drive the nail into the board?

It would seem to me that they have to be. He knows he's going to require these items and these people curiously have just what he needs.

Duke

Smile
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6247 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Duke, it's TV magic at its best. It can only be performed that way on TV and you are right. But remember, Anneman said, "In a roomful of a hundred people I'd use 99 stooges just to fool one guy." So David uses a handful of stooges to fool millions... I like the odds!!
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5784 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Why is it when a magician is stumped he cries "stooges"? Smile

I have done Anders Moden's Soda Resurrection routine with a borrowed can.

These routines are for the most part not TV only material. Sure they were enhanced by editing. Look what a modern day magician has to compete against (Spiderman, Star Wars, etc).

Some will choose to make editing their ali. Some will find the ability to compete by contrasting that style.

What matters is that YOU choose a style that works for YOU and then... get out there.

Your audiences will give you the final answer. Just like they will for DB.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6247 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Tom, I didn't mean to imply that all of the effects performed on his show needed stooges. I just meant that his staff will use whatever is necessary to get the effect. I don't want to give anything away, but I have inside info on some of the show and I can tell you that not everyone you see is a real spectator... 'Nuff said.
Greg
John Smetana
View Profile
???? - 2009
499 Posts

Profile of John Smetana
[quote]On 2002-05-23 11:59, Kent Messmer wrote:
I have so many people come in my shop and are freaked out by Blaine. So I show them for less than $100. they can do all of his tricks. (with some practice) All I know is that he gets paid a lot of money to lay down and stand still for a period of time.

Wow, so you show those people how they can do Blaines stuff for under $100. What do you think that does for magic Kent? There's absolutely no reason to denigrate another performer.. it's really a cheap shot. Sorry if I offend you, but it was intentional.

John Smetana Smile
Kent Messmer
View Profile
Veteran user
Montana
337 Posts

Profile of Kent Messmer
Hey John, you must be the greatest magician in the world. You have never bought a trick from a magic store? You are so briliant, you just make up all your own magic? Wow!

What I do for magic is provide the material for those less fortunate of mind, how they can be magicians also. I don't put down any magician and don't think that selling a person an effect does that. After all that is how I make my living.

Hey Blain does make a lot more than I for much less work. I wish I were as smart as he. If my comment on what he does to make money was taken as a put down to Blaine, it wasn't, it was just an observation.

You must be one of those magicians that think magic shops are as bad as the "masked magician" and that we are hurting the art of magic by selling the secrets. Again, I'm not worthy of your greatness so please forgive me.
dannywhit
View Profile
Regular user
Oak Ridge,TN
121 Posts

Profile of dannywhit
Take it easy guys! Remember this is a place to talk magic not to cast stones at each other. Unless your trowing them at Blaine... Then it's OK. Just kidding!
John Smetana
View Profile
???? - 2009
499 Posts

Profile of John Smetana
Kent, I don't deny you the right to make a living as you see fit. Running a magic shop is not easy and very few really succeed, so I applaud your efforts and wish you well.

That said, it doesn't change the problem I have with the negative posts about Blaine, and yours sounded about the same as many others. My opinion of Blaine is unimportant, however, there is absolutely no need to put someone else down in order to build ourselves up.

That, my friends, is a losing proposition. One of the first rules of selling is, don't put down your competition, make yourself better by building on their success.

Knocking Blaine to your customers, whoever they may be, is just not good for magic. Furthermore, trying to make someone believe that by purchasing a "trick" he/she will be a magician makes about as much sense as selling someone a piano and telling them they're a pianist.

Let's face it, magic has been trivialized, mostly by bad magicains and exposure, and for the most part it has become nothing more than an art form for the entertainment of children. (Kid show folks don't write, I admire your abilities)

Then someone comes along who wants to put the Mystery back into mystery entertainment and other so called 'mystery entertainers, (isn't that what we all are?) try to knock him down. What's the benefit to the knocker or to magic generally? Not a *** thing!

Instead of griping about Blaine, we should parlay his popularity into more work for ourselves and yes maybe even more sales in your shop. But do it with a bit of pride in magic, not by putting someone else down. Doing anything else is sour grapes, no matter how we chose to defend it.

Best thoughts,
John Smetana Smile
Kent Messmer
View Profile
Veteran user
Montana
337 Posts

Profile of Kent Messmer
Again, I'm not trying to put anyone down. Not even the masked magi (of course he's not a real magician, because real magicians don't tell the secrets) oops, was that a put down? sorry.

Any magic on TV or other magic shows people see helps my business, so keep 'em comin'. If someone sees a magic show and it makes them want to be able to do the same, great. Free advertising for me.

The thing with Blaine is that it seems he wants people to think he is possessed or something. I know it's his style, but, how many of you have someone say to you "that Blaine floated four feet off the ground and nothing was holding him up, can you do that?" They believe he did it!

Now, I want people to think I really put two solid rings together or cut a person in half and put them back. But most intelligent people know it is a trick. (oops another put down) Is it that Blaine does what he does so well that people think he has real powers? I think not. He is the only one that people ask me about not D.C. or Henning or the like.

Most of the time they ask "how did he bite that quarter?" I turn around pickup my F.C. and do the same thing he did. They say wow and buy one. This, I think, is great. David Blaine helped me sell something! Did I damage magicdom by doing that? I'm not knocking him to my customers I'm just stating that they can do the same "trick", not do it the same.

You said...

"Furthermore, trying to make someone believe that by purchasing a "trick" he/she will be a magician makes about as much sense as selling someone a piano and telling them they're a pianist. "

I agree, but, can you play a song without the piano? (don't anyone say yea, on the guitar) Can you learn without one? Maybe, but it wouldn't be easy.

Which came first the trick or the magician? I don't know anyone that went out, bought a bunch of magic stuff and "ta da" was a magician, but there are probably a lot of magicians that started out with a bunch of tricks and became one with lots of practice and sucky shows to learn from.

And hey for what it is worth, John has a great point about putting others down. You don't like to have it done to you so don't do it to others. It is ok to comment or even dislike the way others do their thing but do it constructively.

Hey John, their probably just upset at the money he gets for what he does do. Oh well.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6247 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Okay, both to your neutral corners... I declare this match a tie... shake hands and agree to disagree.
Good.
Anyway, Kent, will you be attending the Minnesota convention? If so, be sure to catch my friend Shoot Ogawa who will be there... get ready to be stunned.
Greg Smile
Kent Messmer
View Profile
Veteran user
Montana
337 Posts

Profile of Kent Messmer
Hey everyone just to let you know we have kissed and made up.
Actually we are going to do a joint effect where I lay down in a coffin on top of a pole and John will stand on me for three days at the end of which time he will push me into the Mississippi river and I will try to escape. haha
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6247 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
I didn't mention anything about having to "kiss", but whatever you guys need to fix it... well, just invite me to your wedding.
Greg Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » David Blaine on TV tonight! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL