The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Fortuneteller's Book of Days (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Steve Burton
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Steve Burton
I've been working with this effect and noticed something that may be of interest to anyone who owns one. The cards used in the routine are a block of cards from a Si Stebbins stack beginning with the Ace of Clubs. Why this is not mentioned in the instructions is a mystery to me. It is very useful when stacking the cards from a shuffled deck; you just start at the Ace of Clubs and end with the Five of Spades.
alicauchy
View Profile
Veteran user
Málaga, Spain
311 Posts

Profile of alicauchy
I do not own one of these books of days, but Alex Elmsley's complete works.

Elmsley's "Fate Datebook" is said to be a predecessor of Green's effect, and the performer needs to memorize eleven cards . . . wouln't it be easier to remember a substack from Si Stebbins ?
So much to do, so little time . . .
Steve Burton
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Steve Burton
Yes, I believe you're right; it would be easier to commit to memory a subset of a stack. My reason for posting was to point out that this was not mentioned in the instructions or is it used in Elmsley's original Datebook effect.
alicauchy
View Profile
Veteran user
Málaga, Spain
311 Posts

Profile of alicauchy
I did not see any reference in Elmsley. You could use a part of your preferred stacked deck (Tamariz, Aronson, ...) as well.
So much to do, so little time . . .
Steve Burton
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Steve Burton
No, sorry (I wish) but the Fortuneteller's Book of Days has the cards actually printed in each day's area so it's not interchangeable with other stacks. I see why they chose the Si Stebbins set-up; it's easy to use. By the way, I highly recommend John Luka's book LINT for a way to instantly repeat the Fortuneteller's Book effect with another spectator's birthday. It's sneaky and really rounds out the effect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Fortuneteller's Book of Days (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL