The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » What's a great opening effect for small audiences? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Dick,

This was the second best advice on this thread Smile

The first best advice is the one from Michael Baker. Excellent !!!

Oliver.
rowland
View Profile
Inner circle
1526 Posts

Profile of rowland
My vote also goes to Bil Abbots 5 card opener great trick, great reactions gets the audience involved and on your side right from the start
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Thanks, Oliver, for your kind compliments! (I shall endeavor to remain worthy of same!)

Michael and I (to use one of my hokey expressions) appear to have had the same mother--we think so much alike!

But, please note that Jay and Sealegs had some very worthwhile contributions, too.

Yes, Jay is a bit ambiguous here and there, and I don't quite agree with some of his recommendations. (E.g.: Buy a new trick every week...". However, in general, he has 'something to say'! (Remember the quote: "Some people have to say something, others have something to say."

Sealegs addressed a few of Jay's ambiguities, and added some excellent information, too. Hold on, while I go back and retrieve a major point that Sealegs makes.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
[quote]On 2013-04-06 06:10, Sealegs wrote:
Regarding the opening post's comment about being "weary of the old standards" because they've been seen before... you should be more weary of a slipping into a generic performing style that has been seen before. That is what will make the standards feel weary.

Had Charlie Frey, Jeff Mc Bride or Tommy Wonder been weary of one of the old standards our OP mentions, The Zombie, we'd never have seen their respective bowling ball, mask, and birdcage Zombie routines which would be a huge artistic loss for magic.

And on specific opening effects... I would suggest going for something short and direct that lets the audience see who you are and what you are about. As I don't know who you are and what you are about it's really not possible to suggest anything specific but I can definitely give you a source that you should thoroughly investigate... your imagination of how you want your audience to see who you are and what you are about.

REREAD THAT FIRST PARAGRAPH! ---OK---NOW RE READ THE SECOND PARAGRAPH!!! I AINT GONNA TRY TO IMPROVE ON THAT!!!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
"Johnny come latelys" (old Circus expression for the 'newby')
---should always realize that they should consider the experience, attitude, and general knowledge of those who respond to a question or comment. Obviously, those factors will have an influence on those responses!

Some of the above 'posters' suggested a specific routine, prop, or trick. I submit that Ged is not going to benefit very much by such 'specifics'. I see that type of comment all over the café! These guys mean well, but they are fairly obviously, for the most part, newbies, themselves. (NEMO DAT QUOD NON HABET! --No one gives what he does not have!) They appear to me to be an attempt at a 'quick fix'. ("Take two aspirins and call me in the morning.") Let's not treat the symptoms, let's treat the disease!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On 2013-04-04 14:40, Ged wrote:
I'm strictly amateur and mostly do close-up for two or three people at a time (coins and cards mostly). But I have done a few performances for larger audience (parties and open-mic situations). My cards and coins don't really play big enough in those settings. I'd like to add some larger effects (but not too large, still portable in a case) to my repetoir and do more before audiences of 20-50 people. I'd be interested in hearing opinions of what effects pack the most punch in these situations, particularly what are good opening effects. I have closed with the invisible deck routine (a rare card effect that plays big) or the swallowed and threaded needles routine and am pretty happy with those as closers. But I don't really have anything I like to get things started with a bang and establish crediblity. I'm leary of the old "standards" (zombie ball, rope trick, square circle, etc) as I just feel these have been seen by everyone before. I'm looking for something fresh but also amazing. Anyone have any thoughts? If so, sources would also be appreciated.

OK, get a cup of coffee! This may take awhile..

Re: "...add some larger effects (but not too large, still portable in a case)." Let's clarify and define! You apparently are not clear on what an EFFECT is, and what a PROP is. (You aint alone, friend!) I know some professionals who use terms loosely, and thus can't communicate. COMMUNICATION is of the essence.

The EFFECT is what the audience sees (or thinks that they see!) PERIOD!!!!!

A PROP (N O T "apparatus" or paraphernalia")is the physical equipment (gimmick, feke, 'tube', 'box', 'ring', 'silk', rope, 'ball', 'bag', or whatever) that the performer uses to PERFORM a trick.

A TRICK, somewhat like music,only exists WHILE IT IS BEING PERFORMED. If the TRICK is performed competently by a talented performer, who understands that 85% (+or-)of magic is simply applied psychology (the other 15% (+ or-)is sleight of hand technique, esoteric science principles or perceptual illusions)MAGIC may-or-will 'happen'. The MAGIC does not 'happen' on a close up pad, a stage, or in the hands of the magician. The MAGIC HAPPENS (MOMENTARILY) IN THE MIND OF THE SPECTATOR!!!!!
Burn THAT into your memory! (You'll look funny tomorrow with a burnt memory!)--I just HAD to use that old line!!!

AND>>>>> THE MAGIC THAT HAPPENS IS NOT INHERENTLY ENTERTAINING! <<<<<Write that on your wall 149 times!

The performer/magician's task is to make his performance ENTERTAINING, by his PRESENTATION.

THE PERFORMER IS ALWAYS MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE PROP. (Props are only 'tools')

The physical size, color, shape of the PROP is not necessarily critical to the EFFECT! I have opened with an 18" silk and a TT. I have seen performers open with a 'big box'! The audience doesn't care about the size of the prop. They want to be entertained--and that's what the PERFORMER D O E S with the PROP(s).

Credibility is established by the PERFORMER, not by a prop or an effect.

IT'S ALL ABOUT THE PERFORMER AND THE PRESENTATION!

THERE AINT NO SHALLOW END IN THE POOL! LEARN HOW TO SWIM BEFORE YOU JUMP IN!!!

I'm tipping some of the 'stuff' that will appear in my upcoming 'opus'. Maybe, I'm giving away too much for free!
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Wow !!! That was great Dick !

Excellent détailed explanation. I've read something similar in Jim Steinmeyer's book "Device & Illusion" where he explaines the different words and their correct meaning.

Great !

Thank you,

Oliver.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Thank you again, Oliver!

I 'just had to' get 'that' off my chest! One of my college professors (in the '50s) always stressed: "Before you begin, define your terms!"

Too many 'would be magicians' skip past the fundamentals. Houdin said that "we" are "...actors, playing the part...". Magicians (yes, even those who only do casual, close-up/parlor) should study acting, and theatrical technique.

Charlie Miller, Conrad Haden and I once spent almost an hour, discussing: HOW TO PICK UP A DROPPED PROP, GRACEFULLY. It was a good session! We all benefited.

I am constantly amazed at the "magicians" who haven't the slightest idea of how to cue an audience to applaud--or how to acknowledge applause. These guys have never heard the term: 'STYLE'! Remember DANTE! (Sim Sala Bim!!!)

Jay Marshall and I once spent a half hour before a "Ring public show" in Chicago, teaching Bobby Higa and his assistant, how to 'come back on' after they finished, and acknowledge the applause. That sort of knowledge doesn't come packaged with the 'prop'! (Note: I didn't say 'trick'!) heehee

I had better quit. I'm getting off on another rant!!!

Oh~ I've known Jim Steinmeyer (since he was a high school boy)and have the greatest respect for both his knowledge and his wisdom. I haven't read his "Device and Illusion". I do have a copy of his "Jarrett",--it was a delight to read!

Thanks again, for your very kind thoughts.

O
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
"A professional performes tricks the audience likes while the amature performs tricks that make himself happy."

This is a GREAT perspective. Over the years, I have developed a similar saying: An amateur gives the audience what he likes. A professional gives the audience what they want. An artist gives the audience what they need. In order for magic to evolve, we must continually anticipate and interpret the needs of our audience. The difficulty is that our audience may often not even be aware of what they need since they have only ever been exposed to what already exists. The greatest compliment a performer can ever have is when an audience leaves a show saying, "That was so different, but I loved it, and I want to see more."
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
RyanDicharry
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of RyanDicharry
My vote:

1. Silk to egg
2. Newspaper tear

Ryan
harbour
View Profile
Loyal user
283 Posts

Profile of harbour
To strictly answer your question:

Your second best effect should be your opener-that will tell them who you are and what you do.
Your best effect should be your last-that reminds them who just amazed them and makes them want you back.
Marno
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Marno
There are some good opening ideas here from Christopher T Magician.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-9vsrYM3iE
Christian Wilde
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of Christian Wilde
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2013, Marno wrote:
There are some good opening ideas here from Christopher T Magician.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-9vsrYM3iE

I know the thread is old, but that was a great link.
Walking Bob
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of Walking Bob
I am not sure the specific effect you perform as an opener is nearly as important as what you would like to accomplish with this effect. I like to open with an audience friendly effect that establishes
me as a skilled magician and also set a tone for an audience friendly performance. I like to establish a laid back but professional approach so especially adults will be willing to volunteer and help
be part the performance. Obviously the opener to me is like the beginning of a feature film, as you want to perk their interest and have them wanting more.

Have a nice day,

Walking Bob in Iowa
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
I don't open with a newspaper tear because it leaves the hands so covered with ink for the rest of the show. To spray the paper with artists fixative is too much work in my opinion for a trick that already takes considerable set up.

I only do old tricks that everyone else does.

My opening tricks for different standup situations are 6 Card Trick, Sucker Silk to Egg, Color-Changing Handkerchief.

I like these routines because they engage the audience, give me a chance to establish my character and personality, and fool the pants off them. They play big, pack small, and require little setup.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3691 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » What's a great opening effect for small audiences? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL