We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Teen size straight jackets (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2487 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
Yes I did a search yes I know they make them but for some reason not finding much info.
my daughter wants to perform the straight jacket. she has performed some rope tie escapes but now wanting to go bigger.

I have done a search with out much luck.

any info on who sells the best Gi@##@ked jacket that would fit a 15 year old - I would be very grateful.

thanks

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
jokerthehoudini
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of jokerthehoudini
Try the new magic makers one I got it I'm only 5'5 very slim,can escape with The gimmick or with out.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4469 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
I did send a PM I think that a company makes to order......... But put that In the PM
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
May I suggest that she try a "Lumberjack Shirt" as a strait jacket, described by Qua-Fiki in his "Escape For Teens" e-Book. Just get one of your largest shirts (long sleeved) and some duct tape to try it out. She can have a lot of fun finding some of daddy's old "stuff" hidden inside it before she finally escapes. The shirt is not gimmicked or even Gi@##@ked in any way - it's all in knowing what to do and when and how to do it.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
For those not familiar with the "Magic nook" and the escape section, it is really very clever. Apparently a teen-age young man has worked out some really cool escapes using fairly common materials. These materials have been written up in "The Chainletter" more than once.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Check out http://www.realstraightjackets.com you can customize your jacket.... Smile
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
736 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
A teenage girl doing a straitjacket is wrong on so many levels.

First--From the public's viewpoint - If a teenage girl (or boy) can get out of a "regulation" strait-jacket...then how tough can it be for an adult/professional performer to get out of one?

---the same perception of a strait-jacket as being "not at all difficult to escape from"--has been perpetuated by most every comedy magician of modern times...with their asinine slapstick routines.

Believe it or not---there once was a time when THE STRAITJACKET was thought of as a formidable device of near inhumane torture.

The Straitjacket has LOST the RESPECT of an audience, that it once had.

This can be attributed to when kids & clown magicians use it in their acts.

Second: The squatting, bending-over, and gyrations that a teenage girl (or woman) must do to escape from a strait-jacket....well, do you really want your daughter doing that on stage?

Forgive me for "going there"--but there will be a part of your audience that will focus on the sexual "female & bondage" aspect that they're witnessing on stage...as opposed to appreciating the art & skill needed to escape from a jacket.

I'm just telling it as I see it.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2492 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I pulled it off once. It went like this, Russell and I had just done dueling straitjackets to see who could get out fastest, it ended in a draw. The teenage (apprentice) girl came out in a straitjacket and insulted us telling us I'll show you how to do it. A teen age girl picking on, and showing up two grown adult males works. The audience cheered her on. One point you spot on with... No gyrations or any move that might be considered sexual in any way. When we did it as I described, it worked.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
magicman344
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of magicman344
Quote:
On May 2, 2013 1:37pm, Moxahalla wrote:
---the same perception of a strait-jacket as being "not at all difficult to escape from"--has been perpetuated by most every comedy magician of modern times...with their asinine slapstick routines.

Believe it or not---there once was a time when THE STRAITJACKET was thought of as a formidable device of near inhumane torture.

The Straitjacket has LOST the RESPECT of an audience, that it once had.

In response to that do you believe that the straight jacket could make a comeback If lets say, you had leg bindings or other things on top of the straight jacket or under it?

In other words, could you make the straight jacket more formidable by using it in unison with other effects?

Just a thought Smile
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Can the Strait Jacket make a come-back? It hasn't gone anywhere even though comedians use them. Abby McBride uses one as do lots of others, myself included - and there is nothing more then the jacket itself. I just sold a new jacket to Connie Boyd http://www.connieboydmagic.com/ who is currently appearing in Los Vegas, that's Los Vegas Nevada. She wore her old jacket out, so she needed a new one. Would she be performing that escape day in and day out if it didn't get applause? So it works all alone. I myself earn a few standing ovations a year at business meetings. I put someone else in the jacket first and they can't get out. while they're in the jacket I do another routine - so when it's my time to escape the audience gives me credit for the impossible.

The jacket escape. like ALL escapes is theatrical drama. Two different people can be shot with an arrow and one is a funny situation while one is pure death. The 3 stooges may "take an arrow" and pull it out, for laughs where a frontier man (like in Dances With Wolves) takes a few arrows and lays there miserably while he dies.

How you present your act, see yourself and present yourself to the audience has everything to do with the way they respond.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Straitjacket doesn't work any more?

No prop works, unless the audience has a relationship with it. Part of the performer's job, is to create that connection.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
That's what I said.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Yes, master. "Theatrical drama" are the words of the day.

If each of us slips on a banana peel, people will laugh at one, and rush to help the other up, depending entirely on how we play it.

I, however, do not throw banana peels on the floor.

I place them there gently.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Quote:
On 2013-05-08 17:14, jay leslie wrote:
Can the Strait Jacket make a come-back? It hasn't gone anywhere even though comedians use them. Abby McBride uses one as do lots of others, myself included - and there is nothing more then the jacket itself. I just sold a new jacket to Connie Boyd http://www.connieboydmagic.com/ who is currently appearing in Los Vegas, that's Los Vegas Nevada. She wore her old jacket out, so she needed a new one. Would she be performing that escape day in and day out if it didn't get applause? So it works all alone. I myself earn a few standing ovations a year at business meetings. I put someone else in the jacket first and they can't get out. while they're in the jacket I do another routine - so when it's my time to escape the audience gives me credit for the impossible.

The jacket escape. like ALL escapes is theatrical drama. Two different people can be shot with an arrow and one is a funny situation while one is pure death. The 3 stooges may "take an arrow" and pull it out, for laughs where a frontier man (like in Dances With Wolves) takes a few arrows and lays there miserably while he dies.

How you present your act, see yourself and present yourself to the audience has everything to do with the way they respond.

Good idea's and post Smile
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On 2013-05-08 17:14, jay leslie wrote:

Yes! Yes! Yes!!!

(See Denny Loomis'article in MUM last year. (STRAIT JACKETS)

I loaned my--ungaffed--jacket to Denny when he was a young college kid. (in the early '60s)
At his young age, he was already exhibiting real showmanship. He sold 'his' upside down escape as a promo, and "he done good".

I can understand Moxahalla's concern, but, I really think that he is being too pessimistic.

A good showman can sell what he does!

I do think that going for speed in getting out,is not the best showmanship.

PS...I think it was Ron London (Indiana) who, years ago, stenciled "WARD B" on his jacket. It was one of those subtle bits of showmanship that helped the audience to 'believe'!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
magicman344
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of magicman344
So, The jacket is fine on its own and doesn't need any assistance?
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Didn't you just read all that? You must be from the east coast.

#1 "it's raining outside" #2 'IS it raining outside?" #1 "Yes That's what I just said" #2 "Well I wasn't sure. You don't have to get mad at me" #1 "Why do you have to ask me something multiple times?" #2 OH. Am I asking you something more then once I didn't know, I wasn't sure.""

We do escapes here, not comedy.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5113 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Jay, I hate to clue you on this, but you're horribly misinformed!

www.bladewalker.com
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1490 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4469 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Yeah he didn't say which east coast. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Teen size straight jackets (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL